Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Uprising?

chancellor

Before I start, I ask that everyone posting on this thread be respectful of all others who post on this subject. Try to understand what they say without filtering it through prejudice and don't get carried away with your emotions, or this thread will get locked very quickly. I really think that there is much to discuss, and some people on this forum are among the most intelligent folks I currently associate with. Others, not so much, but please refrain from personal attacks on this thread.

Respectable protestors in Baltimore are calling the outbreaks of arson and looting an "uprising" instead of rioting lately.

Semantics are important, words trigger memories and feelings, and uprising sounds better than riot.

Of course, National Public Radio consistently said "rebellion" this morning except when directly quoting protesters, who sad "Uprising".

To me, rebellion and revolt are very poor words for this protest, because it is not nearly time for one yet.

As cannibal man ineloquently pointed out, the 2nd amendment of the USA constitution was adopted for the unstated purpose of revolt against the federal government should it become tyranny. The continental congress would not have endorsed our constitution without it and the other amendments in the bill of rights. They understood that there can come a time when the only way the people can achieve freedom is to rebel. We still have plenty of good options, and honest dialogue is one of them. Rebellion is a last resort, because once you let that Djini out of the bottle, you can't get him back in. If a revolt is unsuccessful, everyone loses, and history has shown many revolutions that toppled a government only to replace it with something much worse.

What happened to Freddie Gray was inexcusable. He was stupid to run when he saw a policeman saw him, but that's not illegal until the officer tells him to stop. Even if Mr. Gray did something to deserve a death penalty (I doubt that), the courts are for sentencing, not the street. There is definitely still a race relations problem in the USA, but I think it is better than it was in the 1960's.

Your intelligent comments? 

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

After centuries of oppression, economic equality, racism, poverty, and brutality by the State who can blame them?

White people like to pretend inequality ended in the 60s but it just evolved into an institutionalized racism. Its time for change. Its time to burn sh#t down. F*ck the police. F*ck the State. F#ck the privileged.

Edited by CheckYoSelf

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

The "uprising" (looting and rioting and arson) is mostly young kids, like the one whose momma saw him.  The majority of Baltimore seems to be peaceful protests and marches.  

I agree with you on honest, intelligent dialogue being what is needed right now.  The media makes EVERYTHING worse, IMO.  They just show the stuff that gets us angry and causes more racial tension.  It gets them ratings which makes them money, and that is all they care about.  People yell that they want some "feel good stories", yet that doesn't bring any ratings in for the media.  I think that speaks for itself.  

Each one of these police brutality issues that have been brought up in the past yearish time frame have been different.   Some of them have been officers making a split second decision... that led to a tragedy.  Others, such as this one, have just been flat out disregard for someone's life.  In my opinion, race isn't even the issue here.  These officers have probably treated MANY people in custody this way, and that is just inexcusable.   I have read that there have been some cases where the city has been sued for injuries caused by this type of "rough ride" done in Baltimore.  If true, I think that the police chief should be ousted.  It is completely unacceptable.  

Overall, I think that the police force in the US is good.  I am probably slightly biased due to having family members that were officers and working in the public safety/first responder workforce myself, though.  

Fun Fact:

There is a large anime convention happening in downtown Baltimore in a couple months, and the world's largest Brony convention the month after.

After centuries of oppression, economic equality, racism, poverty, and brutality by the State who can blame them?

White people like to pretend inequality ended in the 60s but it just evolved into an institutionalized racism. Its time for change. Its time to burn sh#t down. F*ck the police. F*ck the State. F#ck the privileged.

What about this comment was intelligent?  Responses like this will get the thread locked.  Don't bypass the profanity filter and respond like an adult, joking or not.  I'm going to give you guys the benefit of doubt and keep this open until some ruins it.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

What about this comment was intelligent?  Responses like this will get the thread locked.  Don't bypass the profanity filter and respond like an adult, joking or not.  I'm going to give you guys the benefit of doubt and keep this open until some ruins it.

Lol seriously?

I'll say what I want on the subject as that is my personal opinion. I'll not bypass the profanity filter as you request but my opinion on this won't be stifled.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Freddie Gray's death was just ruled a homicide.  The first step in providing justice to him and his family, IMO.  I sincerely hope that the officers involved in this terrible activity are held accountable!

Edited by mal

What people don't understand is that this goes far beyond one death. This is the boiling over of years of economic disparity and depression. Justice for one man is just the tip of the iceberg.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Lol seriously?

I'll say what I want on the subject as that is my personal opinion. I'll not bypass the profanity filter as you request but my opinion on this won't be stifled.

I at no point said anything about your opinion or not being able to share it. Just do it in a mature way.

nAd1VPD.png

What people don't understand is that this goes far beyond one death. This is the boiling over of years of economic disparity and depression. Justice for one man is just the tip of the iceberg.

I absolutely agree with this.  I don't think people become Police because they are racist, I think the job makes them racist. Until we as a society are honest on WHY this happens and address the root cause we won't make progress.

Holding Officers accountable for their actions in these situations is a reactionary change... We need to address proactive changes to change and eliminate these situations.

Mr. Gray would likely be alive today if he had NOT run from the police.

The real problem is why did he feel it necessary to run and why the Police thought it necessary to beat him for it.

nAd1VPD.png

I absolutely agree with this.  I don't think people become Police because they are racist, I think the job makes them racist. Until we as a society are honest on WHY this happens and address the root cause we won't make progress.

Holding Officers accountable for their actions in these situations is a reactionary change... We need to address proactive changes to change and eliminate these situations.

Mr. Gray would likely be alive today if he had NOT run from the police.

The real problem is why did he feel it necessary to run and why the Police thought it necessary to beat him for it.

I actually think this isn't true in this instance.  From what they have released, that I have read, his death was caused from the injuries sustained from the ride inside of that van... not from an actual hands on "beating".  Its been done to others, but they didn't die from their injuries.   His death was probably also aided by the fact that they refused to get him medical care for a prolonged period of time, and his previous medical history. (Supposedly he had a previous spinal injury due to a traffic accident)  Now, I cannot say in all certainty that they would have treated him this way if he had not ran from them. He may not have even had any interaction with them if he hadn't run.  From what I understand, they were not questioning or attempting to detain him when he ran.  He just simply saw the officers and then ran.... which gives the police the idea that you're doing something wrong and legally the right to chase you down.

Edit:  I agree with the rest, though.  I also think its more of a war on a specific social-economical class than race, personally.  

Edited by mal

And thus that ya'll agree with me I return to my previous point:

Fight the police! Fight the system! Fight the State! Fight the privileged! Down with societttttty.

(And the mods)

SWrkfdj.jpg

Back to the serious topic, I don't know the full circumstances of the guys death. I just heard on NPR that it had been rules a homicide. That's pretty damning.

Obviously property destruction is not cool and rioting is not cool but we have the view this as a symptom of a larger issue. We have to bring these inner city communities into the main stream. Stop the war on drugs. Reinvest in these communities. Make social programs that allow social mobility and easier access to education. That's how you solve civil disturbance. Its a long term battle.

Edited by CheckYoSelf

SWrkfdj.jpg

Americans are the most hypocritical people on the planet. I'll fight to oppose the death penalty, but if I shoot someone assaulting my daughter it's okay. Cops that kill innocent bystanders should be persecuted, but if I drop white phosphorous on a tree line with an afghani sniper in it and accidentally burn down some children in the process, I'm a war hero with a pay raise. custard the government spying on my cellphones, but custard every Muslim because they're a terrorist and we need to do everything we can to stop their tyrannical spread of terrorism.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I could care less about the individual incidents which precipitated these events. I don't care about one guy who did something to one guy. A couple more of those stories and we can develop a stereotype and we all know how true those can be...

Look at the expressions of pure joy and excitement as they pilfer convenient stores for toilet paper and black and milds. These people need a better education. I doubt a number of them even know what's going on besides free shoes. Is there something they are trying to accomplish by acting a fool; other than proving some racists' point of view?

Or4vDvn.png

New York Times article on the charges being brought up against the 6 policemen.  http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us/freddie-gray-autopsy-report-given-to-baltimore-prosecutors.html?_r=0

"One officer, Caesar R. Goodson Jr. was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office. Lt. Brian W. Rice was charged with manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment. Officer William G. Porter and Sgt. Alicia D. White were each charged with manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office. Officers Edward M. Nero and Garrett E. Miller were charged with assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment."

The false imprisonment charge is there because the knife that Gray was carrying that led to the arrest was actually of a legal size and type to carry in Baltimore. So the arrest itself was not legal.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

New York Times article on the charges being brought up against the 6 policemen.  http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us/freddie-gray-autopsy-report-given-to-baltimore-prosecutors.html?_r=0

"One officer, Caesar R. Goodson Jr. was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office. Lt. Brian W. Rice was charged with manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment. Officer William G. Porter and Sgt. Alicia D. White were each charged with manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office. Officers Edward M. Nero and Garrett E. Miller were charged with assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment."

The false imprisonment charge is there because the knife that Gray was carrying that led to the arrest was actually of a legal size and type to carry in Baltimore. So the arrest itself was not legal.

my wife told me about this morning

im glad of it

gtlLXYT.png

I'm honestly interested to see what these officers were doing. Especially the 2nd degree murder charge. He had to have done something pretty custarded considering manslaughter, assault, AND 2nd degree murder

Edited by Eonwe

gtlLXYT.png