Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kivek

Sieging Eternal Kingdoms with Bane Circles. (and campaigns)

I'm sure it has been mentioned before however it is an issue which should be addressed.

I like the idea of campaigns as it resembles a cyclic server however the need to mix a dynamic and static gameplay mechanic is essential in creating a virtual world that would surpass shadowbane. You can not entirely remove the core elements of Shadowbane's one world no instances and you will not realize a vision of recreating this type of gameplay by providing guilds with a permanent safezone.

This game would be more appealing if the eternal kingdom was the main server and the campaigns worked as large mines and resource grabs for quality materials to be used in crafting on the main server.

From my perspective thrones in crowfall are meaningless as they are temporary except for the c.a.r.e.b.e.a.r ek's which provide safe havens for guilds.

This is an issue whether you like it or not and it should be addressed.

furthermore the number of active campaigns should be limited so as not to dilute the play population taking part in campaigns.

Edited by kivek

The castles will be easier to build in game if you spend money on it that is your choice.

but never the less your issue can be addressed by allowing the castles purchased to be rebuilt with no cost after I siege your city with my chinese brothers and sisters.

not too mention if your guild had 50 ppl and they all put 2$ in you could repurchase your pixels at discount rates.

This is about resources and power grabs as well as e-peen and being able to have the satisfaction of challenging other guilds at their home base.

Edited by kivek

If you're confident you have a better handle on what the gaming market will support than Todd and Tyrant do, by all means get your own project running. I look forward to seeing your game.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'm sure it has been mentioned before however it is an issue which should be addressed.

I like the idea of campaigns as it resembles a cyclic server however the need to mix a dynamic and static gameplay mechanic is essential in creating a virtual world that would surpass shadowbane. You can not entirely remove the core elements of Shadowbane's one world no instances and you will not realize a vision of recreating this type of gameplay by providing guilds with a permanent safezone.

This game would be more appealing if the eternal kingdom was the main server and the campaigns worked as large mines and resource grabs for quality materials to be used in crafting on the main server.

From my perspective thrones in crowfall are meaningless as they are temporary except for the c.a.r.e.b.e.a.r ek's which provide safe havens for guilds.

This is an issue whether you like it or not and it should be addressed.

furthermore the number of active campaigns should be limited so as not to dilute the play population taking part in campaigns.

1.  Absolutely correct about the number of active campaigns, however I can't imagine that this wasn't one of the first things they thought about when coming up with the idea of multiple campaigns. 

2.  EK's will have as much meaning as you put into them.  Campaigns(including tournaments) are for destruction.  That's basically always been the design mode we've heard.  People can turn PvP on or off in their EK, so you can have a Breaking 2: Electric Bugaloo-style dance off or a 20v20 battle, your choice.  

3.  I think the game has been hitting the right notes so far, and with the addition of the Siege Campaigns as a stretch goal has been hitting mostly the right marks for popularity.  

4.  Permanent safezones for guilds were functionally in place on most of the servers.  Sure, you could bypass Uncle Bob's spires and get inside those walls or drop a rock.  But in a lot of instances that would've been pointless because the server and the cities were on lockdown.  They removed the illusion of danger in almost all those cases, and they made the concept better by keeping everyone fresh. 

Er, what's "edging"?

So basically you think the entire vision for Crowfall is bad.

Why would kickstart then?

I like the idea of campaigns as it resembles a cyclic server however the need to mix a dynamic and static gameplay mechanic is essential in creating a virtual world that would surpass shadowbane.

I refer you to my second sentence and ask you if you understand the fine line that will render it a masterpiece or just a different flavor of the same brand.

Too much of something can result in bad.

The best thing about shadowbane was the giant world map with no instance that allowed for escalated conflict and gave you 95% freedom to pk except for the npc cities which were limited on gear.

Shadowbane was ahead of its time and I highly doubt that crowfall will even be able to capture the accidental diversity of character creation and classes.

Shadowbane was like 100 sperms making 1 baby some fluke of game design manifested in a garage and the amount of cons were easily blindsided by the pros.

The concept behind crowfall is ideal and needed in a stale market of garbage mmo's, however this is a mechanical issue that will effect the niche population of hardcore shadowbane vets.

I kick started because I knew they would allow you to upgrade afterwards and I still haven't decided as to whether or not I want to invest more.

The whole purpose of warfare is to conquer and to limit growth of your enemies.

You simply won't be able to do that if you are not able to siege an EK.

This really doesn't matter anyway because guilds could just store their resources on an alt so you see the flaws in the crowfall design are endless and I personally would have envisioned minor changes to counteract these issues.

do you want a FOTM MMO with different ingredients or something that is going to last and expand upon the titanic of GvG warfare.

Shadowbane was pure genius and lacked sprinkles.

Edited by kivek

If you're confident you have a better handle on what the gaming market will support than Todd and Tyrant do, by all means get your own project running. I look forward to seeing your game.

If my settlement is large enough I'll hire an army of chinese programmers who will truly develop the play to crush slogan.

How can you play to crush if your enemy is sitting in an ek sucking on a pacifier.

Edited by kivek

/facepalm

Firstly, you are up in arms about a feature in a game you have yet to experience. Your statements are no different then the PvE player coming in here saying I supported this game and it should have tradition mmo raiding even though the vision has been clearly PvP focused. Secondly you already shot yourself in the foot by stating niche of hardcore shadowbane players. Tonight on NBC News: Crowfall is not Shadowbane?!?!?! Seriously you haven't even jumped in the game to even validate your claims.

The meaning of EK is simply a style of player housing with a lot more intricate things to do in. Are you the type of player like in RUST that goes murdering naked players who just spawned into the server? Yes? I'm sorry care bears are clearly off the menu. No? then who gives a ___.

Also while on the subject of referring to your second sentence, that is your opinion and most likely not the same opinion as everyone else. Its not like the people as you say sucking on their pacifiers are going to gain any ground on you as they would need to enter campaign worlds to advance. So calm down, i promise it will be OK :P  there will be plenty of people to crush

Edited by wolfuse

You made someone mad :lol:

Nah, not mad just irritated. People who use sweeping conclusions as fact to skew the truth irritate me, I have no issues with a suggestion on how to make things better but this thread is a more of a this sucks because i say so thread.

you kinda got worked up over this ;)

kivek just needs to accept that what he suggested won't happen.

I thought exactly like him when I first came here. I thought that it would work out like he suggested.

But monetizing the EKs with the proposed system would open all doors and windows for p2w accusations.... and I don't even want to start with the ohsomany ragequits that would occur :)

you kinda got worked up over this ;)

kivek just needs to accept that what he suggested won't happen.

I thought exactly like him when I first came here. I thought that it would work out like he suggested.

But monetizing the EKs with the proposed system would open all doors and windows for p2w accusations.... and I don't even want to start with the ohsomany ragequits that would occur :)

Meh, didn't mean to come off as worked up.  :D see i am smiling

You are right the P2W accusations would be through the roof and the rage quitting for the loss of items. ACE would also lose a decent avenue to make money for more development as most if not all would not purchase anything expensive for EK.

Edited by wolfuse

It has been said before, and it has been shot down by Artcraft. The Devs can't go back on their word on it, it would be a P.R. disaster after taking in a lot of money promising that the EKs would be PvP-optional and a social hub while the main game remains in the campaign worlds. The sooner you get over this notion, the happier you'll be focusing on not trying to change their primary vision.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

An EK is a safe zone in a PvP game.

A campaign is a battle ground that hopefully lasts 3-6 months.

You can't wage sufficient war against enemies if they have a safe place to hide and arm their troops they will never fall behind in their tech and research levels and most importantly you won't be able to raid their home.

As I have stated before with regards to pixels purchased they could be allowed to be rebuilt if destroyed giving people a permanent blueprint.

Everything is theory including their game design, and it is highly unlikely that the stuff bought will be better than the building you would be able to craft from harvesting resources in battlegrounds.

They are not reinventing anything they are creating battlegrounds and providing safe zones to cater to care .bears.

In shadowbane you lost your city in C rowfall you could have it reset after it was sieged and your resources plundered.

One world no instances has and always will be the best model for gvg games.

I don't play rust, it doesn't appeal to me.

And while what I suggest and others have and others want or perceived c rowfall to be may not be implemented at start, wow implemented city sieges long after release and it was suggested in beta by me.

Shadowbane implemented vampires and it was suggested by me although I take no credit for the . Intellectual design behind the race as it differed greatly from my suggestion but the vision was realized.

So while you might think I am coming to a sweeping conclusion with regards to gameplay. I say to you my perception, experience, and intuition as well as others with similar interests and experience in crushing those who attempt to crush, our vision will come to pass.

Caliman will be able to attest to the experience of being crushed by the irekei viraakt on the snowy plains of the lizard island in the desert on oblivion ;)

People like him sorely outnumber my kind and are soiling their panties at the thought and current mechanics behind the EK (safe zone pacifier included, you might call it a binky or a dummy depending where you are from).

If you like gw2 you'll like c rowfall.

Gw2 sucks btw.

Once I thought the same. But:

An EK is a safe zone in a PvP game.

EKs and Campaigns are unrelated, and that is even more true for the Dregs.. which we (shadowbane/darkfall players) will be playing.

So they can't be safezones.

A campaign is a battle ground that hopefully lasts 3-6 months.

There's a chance that some of the most hardcore campaigns won't have time limits but only victory conditions (a-la Risk).

You can't wage sufficient war against enemies if they have a safe place to hide and arm their troops they will never fall behind in their tech and research levels and most importantly you won't be able to raid their home.

Again, there's no point in sieging EKs as they are social hubs outside of the gaming zone.

It's the couch you go to drink beers after a game of Poker or whatever.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I think kivek maybe confused on a few things.  You can't progress in an EK.  There are no resources or anything.  Your EK is a house you can go sit in a suck on your pacifier, sure, but there'll be little to no game to play from an EK.  Essentially everything in the game is played from the campaign.  Your concerned that people won't leave their EK's, but they won't be playing the game from their EK's.

Edited by toteofmagik

"Where there is unity there is always victory." -- Publilius Syrus

"If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." -- Phil Hellmuth
"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

Yeah the OP is quite misguided. You cannot play the game from the EK.

The EK serves but one purpose, permanent crafting hub and the location of passive buffs (of which you can only have 3 active upon any character anyway). You cannot gain anything there, not even resources.

Thus you need to go into campaigns in order to get anything that has value. You want to completely marginalize the EK? Only play campaigns that don't allow you to import anything. Bam, you just found a way to write off the EK completely as if it doesn't exist.

Your "tech level" is a passive thing that increases based upon what you have your character set to train in while logged off. That is pretty much it. So even if you could raise their EK to the ground you would not slow down their tech advancement a single second.

As for people mentioning the dregs, some dregs will allow importing...thus your EK in those types of campaigns WILL matter. Remember that the circle (in this case dregs) only locks in a single permanent feature, in this case FFA.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."