Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
siberain

Slighty disappointed with cartoonish graphics

I'm curious, how many years into development Crowfall is actually in?  

They received 2.3 or so million dollars in July through investors. I'm not sure how long overall they've actually been collaborating, however.

True but if you look at shadowbane, the gfx werent demanding, it was just bad coding on the server part that caused unwanted lag.

It's just the graphics fall in line with what everyone is doing.. So it honestly doesnt look different but more of the same.

It would have been refreshing to see something different.. That's all I'm getting at.

I remember quite well having my computer brought to it's knees in SB even with graphics so low that all that was displayed were torsos, IF anything of characters displayed whatsoever during conflicts with more than 20 toons.

If simpler graphics means better performance and gameplay, sign me up for the "cartoony" graphics.

+1

If this was another poorly made socks MMO like GW2 or WoW (i say that because i want sandbox and not tab target and other faceroll stuff)

I think its to late but i want UO, Darkfall online, shadowbane type graphics.. im sure the world will be cool and mysterious and fun to explore just like the games i mentioned was when you first got into them but if the game looks like Wildstar its going to suck in my opinion.. but we will see maybe they can make if cool and have dark mysterious places that feels dangerous to explore even tho its cartoony.. either way im excited to find out more about the game.. if it has full loot for example. 

probably too late for that.... but I share your opinion

i can agree its kinda late, but there is still time for them to get a bit darker like darker shadows and a bit more details on textures ,.

p.s. about GW2 is far from cartoonish, for its one of the best MMO in terms of aesthetics, just the story is cartoonish there ... my favorite race is a beasty race called Charr who killed their Gods with machines xD their appearance is far from cartoonish !

Edited by loulaki

5a1b3fea-fc4c-485e-87da-0147a0f11ae3.png

Also would like to +1 opinion that art direction needs to be more realistic and less disney. Doesn't have to be ultra realistic.

Just stop copying World of Warcraft . . . please. I know why they want to do it. It's because of what happened with Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft so many years ago. That one event has permanently scarred art direction in the MMO genre. Sony thought that EQ2 failed because of the graphics vs WoW. That's not why it failed.

So yeah, let's stop trying to emulate World of Warcraft in this genre. If the feedback from this thread isn't an overwhelming sign of what the community wants, I don't know what else will work.

And there aren't handfuls of MMO's with realistic graphics out there. Can't think of 1 AAA fantasy MMO that has used realistic graphics since Everquest 2. Not one.

For my first post... 

I would like to disagree, these graphics are more attractive than anything else on the crappy market and it's one of the main reasons I am here. While graphics are not the end all, be all, in order to want to look at something for hours on end it should be attractive. Realism is nothing more than proven, boring failure. Well, maybe not failure, but certainly not exponential growth.

Good job devs for doing something different from every other mmo on the market.

Oh and for the record, I despised everything in regards to art direction in WoW. Yet I really dig what EQN and Crowfall are doing. "Cartoony" and "art style" are 2 different things.

Edited by Funpire

I don't think the artstyle is a bad choice, infact I think it will give the game a long shelf life. Other games that try to go for 'more realistic' tend to age poorly and it's easy to spot when the technology isn't to 'modern standards'. Things like Darkfall look like crap because the engie is an older one, picking an engine that gives off a more 'cartoon' vibe makes it harder to spot when the engine has surpassed it's life span.

I think everyone looking for a grittery more realistic would really regret that choice if the game became a sucess, and this is coming from someone who played Warhammer Online.

I actually really like the direction they are taking with the game art. It's the thing that first drew me to the project, well it's actually the only thing since I literally found out about this game 20 minutes ago. 

It strikes a good balance of western & eastern character design. I'd be hugely disappointment if this where to change for something bland & overly realistic. I have Star Citizen for my sense of realism, fantasy MMO's I'd rather take a different direction. 

For me, the art style presented so far is spot on. It's really what i wanted from an mmo, and it looks like it has been introduced in the game very well, judging by last screenshots. Very nice colors. It makes the world seem rich and lively.

While realistic graphics really do make a good advertising and are visually impressive, they tend to make animation look stiff. When you have a nice stylized art, you can stretch and mold the movement, in a way that it really looks vivid and physics-driven. It's also a case of durability: Stylized graphics usually last longer, because the flaws of contemporary realistic graphics are much easier to spot, later on. This kind of information can be found in books about videogame art and animation.

Also, the armors shown look beautiful and believable. It looks like a respectable approach on female characters. No ladies with shoulder armor and panties.

As an artist, something that really drives me off from typical mmos is the mediocre art style and tasteless armors, making it look like something pushed for toy industries. No need for huge purple platemails with spikes and glowing, organic-shaped adornments.

Really like your artwork, Dave. Would be nice to see some sketches!

Sorry for any english mistakes.