Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Keeping up with Upkeep

So my understanding is that structures have an upkeep cost in order to remain functional. As someone who has a job where I'm unavailable for play during certain times of year, the idea of returning to a bunch of ruins and having to farm up resource to get things back up and running again is not appealing.

If you have structures on other peoples kingdom, then I totally understand paying upkeep, but on my own Eternal Kingdom? What are some reasons it would be too out of line for your own buildings to have an upkeep cost waived when on your own Eternal Kingdom?

Now, we haven't been explained in detail how the EK's work server-architecture wise, but one would assume they reserve space from a server, correct? Now let's call the said space a "pocket server." One EK constitutes a pocket server. What if the player leaves the game? Will they just keep reserving that pocket server for a player, hoping he'll return in 5 years? No, they delete the EK to make room for an EK that is actually in use.

Not sure if this would work, but buildings appear to be "items" that can be placed in an inventory. Be it initial purchase or transferring EKs. If you knew you'd be gone for a while, maybe you could place everything in your inventory to avoid them degrading or upkeep fees.

There has to be money-sinks in game to entice players to continue to go back to the Campaigns. If the whole point of the campaigns are to build your EKs, and once your EK structures are paid for, you're done...that would lead to game stagnation, especially over large multi-conglomerate EKs. The fact that you will probably need more resources than 1 player can handle exporting at a certain build point in your kingdom means players will be forced to band together to create and maintain the larger EKs. This is a good thing!

This is a PVP-centric game, and the population needs to be pushed into situations where they're scratching and scrounging for resources. There is going to be a huge difference in gameplay, emergent or not, when it's out of desperation and not centered around being able to wait for the safest method to acquire what resources you need. So be glad for broken equipment, building upkeep, and limited resources.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Repost from another thread:

Well I have a theory how EK taxes might work. In the form of building upkeep costs and a tithe to the ruling monarch:

Building upkeep: If for example you have a stone keep, it would eat some stone and wood each week or month in maintenance costs. If it doesn't get it the building begins to decay and eventually collapse.

The tithe: well this can be whatever the monarch wants it to be. If the ruler of the EK wants a knitted sweater each month for the use of their land, well you better get trading or take up knitting.

You'll probably notice neither example requires any form of mmo gold, nor a crafting currency.

Not sure if this would work, but buildings appear to be "items" that can be placed in an inventory. Be it initial purchase or transferring EKs. If you knew you'd be gone for a while, maybe you could place everything in your inventory to avoid them degrading or upkeep fees.

I like this idea a lot. I understand the reasons for degradation, but if you have RL responsibilities you know will keep you from the game for an extended period, it's nice to be able to pick up from where you leave off, instead of being penalized for not having a regular play schedule.

If you can just place your buildings back into inventory and "freeze" them when you know you won't be back on for a while, it seems like the best of both worlds. Thanks for the replies everyone.

This also plays into the fealty system, having players live on your land and pay your taxes. Won't know how taxes work, but I assume it's just going to be a daily/weekly/monthly recurring material/resource cost that just gets pulled from your account bank, and all taxes you accumulate just gets funneled into said bank. So you could potentially have a very popular kingdom that is, in essence, self sustaining. Leaving you to live your life or play in your campaigns without having to worry solely about your kingdom degrading.

This also plays into the fealty system, having players live on your land and pay your taxes. Won't know how taxes work, but I assume it's just going to be a daily/weekly/monthly recurring material/resource cost that just gets pulled from your account bank, and all taxes you accumulate just gets funneled into said bank. So you could potentially have a very popular kingdom that is, in essence, self sustaining. Leaving you to live your life or play in your campaigns without having to worry solely about your kingdom degrading.

It's good to be the king.

OP has a good point though- if you're getting deployed or going into rehab or whatever and you really can't login for months at a time, you should have the option to suspend your EK so that it doesn't eat itself into ruins while you're gone.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Just because you have to pay maintenance fees doesn't mean that it self destructs. These parcels are like inventory items that you pick up and place on your or other's EK. If you can't pay the fees then logically their benefits would be deactivated or the parcels simply go back to your inventory. Probably the worst thing that could happen, other than pissing off everyone granted provinces, would be you loose the relics and thralls. No more offline training for you.

Offline training is on no matter what you have in your EK

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Picking up all your parcels would probably be an adequate solution- they don't need maintenance if they're not deployed.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think the easiest solution for the developers in this case is to simply store EK "data" as simple spreadsheets and store them on a driver if someone's "upkeep" isn't paid in time.  So that yeah your EK may get wiped, but all the data on where you placed your parcels, where you placed your buildings and the layout as well as content of those buildings is saved.  Much like how a design for a building is saved in Landmark;  To set things up again, you really have to start paying upkeep again if you want to use the same space again once you return.

As for shared EKs, if you're absent for a long time, keeping your upkeep paid or removing you from the EK is at the discretion of the owner of that EK I believe.

But yeah as others said; The likely scenario of outcome would be, you'd lose access to any active thralls and relics which would remove their bonuses during the time you're offline.  Which if you're a min/maxer would piss you off, or even worse if other people are making use of your EK and pisses them off.

I'd image the outcome would be similar to logging out of EVE Online for a long period of time and forgetting to switch to your skill leveling clone, so instead of getting 3 skills to 5 in 2 weeks you are gone, you only get 2 skills to 5, which means you just cheated yourself out of the subscription money or PLEX you paid.

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I think it would be nice, if possible, to have a feature where you can "freeze" your EK. If you know your going to be gone for a few weeks or a month or two you could put your EK into limbo where it's unaccessible but also doesn't require upkeep. 

Of course it's still up to ACE if they need to make room on their servers for more EKs so they might have to delete your (and send your stuff back to your inventory) until you come back, but I feel like on a technical side of things an EK in Limbo can be migrated to a storage server and probably compressed to not take up so much space. 

It'll be interesting as to what they decide to do, then again this could also be where the "Tax Exempt Land Slots" come into play. Items placed on this land have no upkeep maybe?

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

I find it funny that people are worried about not paying upkeep because they are taking a break.

But no one is worried that they won't win enough to pay their upkeep.

I guess everyone is expecting to win

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I find it funny that people are worried about not paying upkeep because they are taking a break.

But no one is worried that they won't win enough to pay their upkeep.

I guess everyone is expecting to win

Wait, are Campaign still a thing? I thought they've been removed?

Wait, are Campaign still a thing? I thought they've been removed?

Might as well remove then.

Seems like the EKS will determine who wins the campaigns. That's the general opinion on the forums at least