Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowmant

Day/Night Cycle

So earlier on Tully confirmed there would be a day/night cycle:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6435-overpowered-1v1-vampire-ganking-archetype/page-3#entry168917

What do people want to see from this?  How long should the cycle last?  How dark should it get?  Should there be any/many skills tied to the cycle?  

Personally I hope it gets really dark.  Playing Planetside 2 I've had a chance to see a good range of vision distances as they balanced night time and I always had the most fun when it was dark enough to really throw off your sense of when/where and how many enemies there are.  There is also nothing like running headlong into the enemy lines unexpectedly.  I've not played with a dark night cycle in a fantasy setting so perhaps it will feel different here... but I think it would be a hell of a lot of fun.

If it's dark enough to be inconvenient, people will just turn up the gamma or otherwise negate the problem.

If you want meaningful darkness you have to reduce the draw distance (and the client awareness distance, since if the client knows about it but isn't drawing it people will use hacked clients to draw it anyway).

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I would want for ACE to test dark nights during alpha/beta at the very least. Personally I love environmental hindrances as they test the ability of the player to adapt their tactics and can allow for a more interesting meta game.

Reminds me of my first Alien hunt in the MMO called Face of Mankind.  I quickly got separated from the army of players on the way to the fort and got lost between the tall brush pleading for help in chat for directions to the fort before the aliens came out to attack us.  That experience was terrifying.  Would go through it again.

And once I got to the fort it got worse...but it had nothing to with day and night cycle, but rather giant spiders climbing up the fort walls and attacking me from behind while my allies shot towards my general direction.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

If it's dark enough to be inconvenient, people will just turn up the gamma or otherwise negate the problem.

/agreed

Everyone got excited in H1Z1 the first days 'cause night was scary as f*ck and you couldn't see much.

It wasn't fun for long, since people started modifying the gamma from game files in order to see enemies and get an advantage.

Ultimately Sony (DB, whatever) had to make night half as bright as day.

I am not sure how to make the day/night cycle interesting, but turning everything black at night isn't enough and sometimes counterproductive.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

The night is dark and full of terrors

Darkness influencing whatever monsterness

Darkness making it easier for troops to get around without being spotted

Darkness influencing magic

Darkness influencing resources

It really comes down too how much of an implementation with the budget and the pvp focus we have but I guess we have confirmation of what that guy they hired will be doing now :)

Edited by oberon

being a guinecean would be funny tunneling under players at night "wtf is that sound? WHERE is it????"

Hudson: Movement. Signal's clean. Range, 20 meters.

Ripley: They've found a way in, something we've missed.

Hicks: We didn't miss anything.

Hudson: 17 meters.

Ripley:  Something under the floor, not in the plans, I don't know.

Hudson: 15 meters.

Newt: Ripley.

Hicks: Definitely inside the barricades.

Newt: Let's go.

Hudson: 12 meters.

Ripley: That's right outside the door. Hicks, Vasquez get back.

Hudson: Man, this is a big custardin' signal.

Hicks: How are we doing Vasquez, talk to me?

Vasquez: Almost there.

Vasquez: They're right on us.

Hicks: Remember, short controlled bursts.

Hudson: 9 meters. 7. 6.

Ripley: That can't be; that's inside the room.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Low night visibility is fun in concept, but in practice it just doesn't work out in a competitive environment. As a developer you simply don't have enough control over what the end user is capable of seeing. Darkness is a really sort of analog thing that you can't quite mimic by hiding things from the client, as whether or not you show a player to the client is binary. You either replicate an event or you don't.

Vamp discipline day/night debuffs sound cool. Stealth abilities could also be stronger at night, or even go so far as to give everyone access to a stationary "hide" ability that only works at night. I'd imagine countering stealth and tracking style abilities would be more difficult at night, and perhaps certain animals would behave differently. Imagine a tough cave full of something valuable you want to mine, but it's full of direbatmans. If you're careful you could sneak in there during the day, move around the direbatmans without disturbing them, and mine your ore unmolested. At night they'd be active and you'd be required to fight through, and actively defend your miners from their respawns or whatever.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I say let people turn the gamma up. Then, when you light a torch or fire off some kind of flare-like ability, they can have fun still seeing nothing.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I say let people turn the gamma up. Then, when you light a torch or fire off some kind of flare-like ability, they can have fun still seeing nothing.

Oh god, could you imagine a your screen with the gamma cranked up when all those flashy made spells start firing up.

At night time you should go to bed and sleep or maybe have sex and then sleep (only if you got married in game before).

Actually is sleep even in game ? Should it be in game ? Should staying awake too long drain your INT and STR ? Are you totally defenceless when you sleep ? Can you sleep safely only in certain locations ? Can guildmates wake you up in case of danger ? If somebody attacks you when you sleep do they kill you in one hit ? How severe penalties shoukd be for not sleeping too long ?

All these questions are currently not adressed.

-edit before somebody says i am trollin,i am not.

Edited by rajah

At night time you should go to bed and sleep or maybe have sex and then sleep (only if you got married in game before).

Actually is sleep even in game ? Should it be in game ? Should staying awake too long drain your INT and STR ? Are you totally defenceless when you sleep ? Can you sleep safely only in certain locations ? Can guildmates wake you up in case of danger ? If somebody attacks you when you sleep do they kill you in one hit ? How severe penalties shoukd be for not sleeping too long ?

????

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Ask Bruce Banner what happens when you turn your gamma up too high. o_o

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

If day/night cycle is going to be a thing, I hope it's a proper cycle that takes maybe 6 hours to swap around. That way if it has some significance, then people can plan to do things under the cover of night or in broad daylight for various advantages and know when the day or night cycle is coming.

Also, vampires are cool and all but I'd be way more interested in an archetype or discipline that takes advantage of the daylight. It would be awesome if there was a holy one or some sort of sun channeller to balance variety.

An additional meter could be added to the character. Something like "Fatigue". The bar would build up in the course of the in game day. and once per in game day you'd have to sleep in order to nullify it. Sleeping would make you unable to control your character for like 3-5 minutes, Unless woken up by a friendly character, or attacked. Any damage received in sleeping state would be significantly increased. Sleeping for 5 minutes would replenish you completely to the status of "completely rested", sleeping less would replenish you accordingly. Sleeping during in-game night time will replenish you faster than sleeping during daytime. All characters will gain an ability " shout" that wakes up characters sleeping nearby.

Possibles grades for the "Fatigue" bar

"Completely rested" - right after waking up, the bar is empty, no penalties to stats or slight bonus to stats and abilities. Lasts about 2 in-game hours, after you wake up

"Rested" - Common state throughout the day, no penalties to stats and abilities

"Tired" - Close to the days end, no penalties to stats and abilities. Signals that you are about to enter the "fatigued" state and it's time to sleep

"Fatigued" - at the end of the day you acquire this status, if you do not sleep, suffer penalties to stats, movement and abilities.

"Extremely fatigued" - if you stay awake for 2+ in game days, penalties to stats, abilities, movement increase, you gain penalty to damage dealt . if you stand still for 1 minute, you will fall asleep where you are standing. The penalties get heavier the longer you stay in the "extremely fatigued" status. Sleeping time required increases proportionally to the time spend in the "extremely fatigued" status, from 3-5 minutes to 7-10 minutes. If you stay in this status long enough eventually you will randomly fall asleep no matter what you were doing at the moment.

You can sleep anywhere on the in game map, and can be attacked by anybody while you sleep. The only way to sleep safely would be to find a hidden secluded place or to construct a camouflaged shelter, which will require common resources, and will hide you from sight similar to the stealth skill, but you will still be detectable by rangers tracking or revealed if somebody stumbles upon you. Camouflaged shelters can be only set ip in the wilderness, so you can not sneak into enemy town and hide using the sleep mechanics. You should also have an option to set up a campfire, which will decrease the time required to sleep to gain the "rested" status, but will make you visible from afar.

What does it bring to the game ?

More thrill and planning when travelling solo or in small groups. Concept of "watchmen" appears in game. ( 3 characters sleep, one is awake and shouts in case of danger)

Additional layer of strategy for mid to large scale warfare, concept of "fresh reinforcements" will matter. Generals will have to account for armies fatigue and make decisions, whether to attack with all available forces or split and rotate them through the " rest cycle". Moving large forces around for siege will require to plan for arriving to the battlefield fresh and leave them vulnerable to sneak attacks on the march, if resting is improperly planned. This will serve as a barrier for zerging.

"Fatigue" bar is not to be confused with stamina bar (assuming it is in game). Fatugue would be long-term, stamina bar short- term, fast to spend, fast to replenish.

Edited by rajah