Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's Your Most Memorable MMO Experience?

zyerne

If you had to pick one incident or event in a game that made you the player you are today, what would it have been?

Will toss mine in here to get it started. (I get long winded, so sorry ahead of time! Feel free to skip it and just post your own!)

Mine was back in the early days of UO. I'd been playing the game for just a bit less than a month and had gone through a few characters testing out skills and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with myself in the world. Had basically just figured out that for me it seemed mining was the best way to really get into the game and make gold. This was after failed characters trying to focus on thievery (stealing from barrels in the city to die to guards), or hunting (getting killed by skeletons in the nearby cemetery).

Had found a nice empty cave near Vesper where mining was proving to be a way to consistently gain gold even with me and my mule sometimes getting killed by PKers. If it was during the trip out to the mines they never seemed to bother taking all my pickaxes (for obvious reasons), and I tried to be sneaky getting back to the city with the smelted ingots as there was a house right outside the cave with a smelter.

I was selling and trading the ingots I got back in the city for gold and magic items and was stockpiling some nice stuff. Was making enough that I started buying large amounts of reagents to carry on me to constantly practice my Magery (was honestly a big reagent pinata with 200+ of multiple reagents, I did eventually learn it was a bad idea to carry that outside town after a few PK deaths).

So one trip out I was doing my thing. I had raised my Magery up enough and had just recently gotten used to using recall stones, had one set up for the bank and back to the cave to go back and forth. When mining I'd stack all the ore in the middle of the room on the floor and just do the drag from tile to tile along the floor to that nearby smelter since it always weighed too much to carry before I'd recall out with the smelted ingots to bank them.

Was right in the middle of doing the ore drag out of the cave when some red shows up and spots me with the slow drag and immediately starts blowing me up with spells. After eating his combo I barely manage to run off screen and get off a recall to TP back to the city where I was freaked out. I had put a lot of resources into that mining trip and with all the reagents I was buying I'd almost have to start from scratch minus the magic items I had traded for if I lost that ore.

My heart was racing as I quickly opened the bank and could barely accurately move the items in my bank around trying to grab offensive spell reagents and weapons and armor to throw on in hopes I could recall back and get that ore. Palms sweating and adrenaline rushing I finally managed to toss together a ragtag group of magic items and reagents to recall back to the mining cave which was empty.

Knowing the only real place he could quickly smelt it was that nearby house I took off out of the cave in that direction just to run face first into the PK outside doing the slow ore drag I had been doing. I immediately opened up with a crappy spell combo on him that consisted of a spell fizzle and a resisted spell and he immediately started to blow me up again with his magic.

The funny thing was that one of those magic items I had gotten in a trade was a reflection item with quite a few charges on it and so he actually nuked the hell out of himself. I guess he got himself low with his first combo and immediately dashed to start running away but I managed to keep up and hit him with two lightning spells to finish him off.

Heart still pounding I quickly go to loot him and as was normal with PKs he only had some regs and a deathrobe with some trap pouches but I quickly take it all and run back to my ore to go back slow dragging it to that nearby house. The entire time I'm freaked, wondering if I can do it before he gets revived and comes back for me but thankfully it didn't happen and I was able to quickly smelt the ore and recall back to Vesper to shove the ingots and everything on me into the bank.

The exhilaration was crazy and as soon as it all safely hit the bottom of my bank box I just hopped out of my chair and started to fist pump and celebrate like a madman.

I was hooked on the game for years after that. Dove head first into the PvP, eventually became a powerhouse and created a PKK guild that protected miners in the area around Minoc and Vesper since even now I still don't have the heart (and just find it a waste of time) to attack people too many levels under me or that are obviously lacking in combat ability/skill. Always wanting to have that underdog and sweaty palm feeling that came with going after people of equal or better skill.

Trammel as it did for a lot of people sort of killed the game for me, the people I went around protecting and fighting PKs for no longer needed it and the PKs themselves started to die out so me and my group faded along with them.

But that experience has basically been my focus of MMO gaming. Every MMO I've tried was in some way looking for that same exhilaration and ability to give that whole sweaty palm feeling. Managing to get some of it back in games like Shadowbane, DAoC, Darkfall, etc.

Of course nothing has really ever matched it, I'm sure partly because it was my first MMO and you never really get to experience that again. But I'm here hoping Crowfall can sate a bit of that MMO PvP junkie in me for a bit.

World of Warcraf (Heyuck it up, I'm taking Vanilla) had gotten stale, I was a guild leader, ran 40 mans, and Naxx was repeatedly smacking us in the face saying "NOT TODAY" (I still hate you, Gluth) and my raiders were getting just as fed up as I was so when I wasn't grinding my virtual face against a raid-shaped cheese grater I was listening to the complaints and suggestions. A friend of mine, a PVP champ by the name of Pat (yes, THE Pat, paddishory emperor, pat) said 'Hey, hop on over to my PVP server and I'll show you how to REALLY play'.

The game changed for me that day. It went from

• Get quest
  • Do quest
  • Turn in quest

To something completely different and wonderful.

• Get quest
  • Case quest
  • Is alliance there? (If 'yes' then KILL THEM)
  • Are they bigger than you? (if 'yes' then run like hell)
  • OH GOD NOT IN THE FACE (if 'yes' then resurrect)
  • Do quest
  • Leave a swath of carcass's in your wake as you return
  • Where did that paladin come frOHGODITBURNS
  • Friendly shaman FTW, thanks dude, eternal friendship forged
  • Turn in quest
  • Get killed dead at quest giver by some vengeful alliance main who's noob alt you slaughtered.

Every quest you did was three times more complicated because some donut hole decided to camp the area, and it fostered in me the notion that nobody can be trusted. It also turned the Four Dragon Generals of Ysera into a freaking rave party light, color, and death the likes of which you could only imagine, but that's just a perk.

Going forwards this 'trust issue' would serve me in every game, people would either think I was a paranoid, delusional, freak and naturally installed me in some position of power where I could either help mold what had been created into something better, or make me the antagonist which lead to some very awesome endeavors. It also awoke in me a creative side, forced constantly to imagine and invent new ways of getting inside the monster's shell to the soft, squishy, valuable bits.

There isn't any one particular memory except for that day when I rolled a tauren shaman <3 and Wow... possibly video gaming... was resurrected for me.

Edited by fawne

Yeah Reds didn't revive in UO.  You'd get a 10% stat loss.  You'd sit there and afk 8 hours for every murder past 10 to unred yourself before res.

I mean... not that I ever did that.

Edited by agelmar

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

The one fight that always rings out for me was a 12 hour 3 way battle at fel Destard over Rikki on uo. My newly formed guild [bury] Vs [FL] (my previous guild) vs [FO_O]. No one ever won and we were outnumbered emensly. FL had about 18-20 and FO_O had roughly 14-16. we had i think 8 between our little alliance. I finally had to logg at 4 am, had work at 7 lol. I have never seen a more even, long lasting competitive battle in all my years, even on SB. And i have one screenie left of it :) FOO was off to the right pinned where the water ele spawn is in when FL sandwiched us, i took this quick screenie when i saw the old FL GL Ooji had returned after being gone for years.... Most epic fight ive ever been in hands down.

Edit:P.S. glad i had cropped this, old UO dev seeing me use razer would have been funny :P

fightingflandfooatrikkitor.jpg

Edited by verbin

gah....i guess it depends on how you define MMO

to me, the very first one i saw changed be completely...but it was text only with a dice roller on AOL

i walked into the original Vampire room (established by guys from white wolf just a few weeks before)

someone saw me walk in with the SN of "Deodanth"...knew what it was and RPed out hiding under a table...

i was hooked....NO mobs, NO quests (except those Player given)...ONLY Players, and we policed ourselves by agreeing on a referee for fights and just using the rule books and the on screen dice roller

did UO and EQ and DAoC...but never came close to scratching that itch again until SB

here's hoping the need for ointment recedes amd that CF does all the scratching i require...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Yeah Reds didn't revive in UO.  You'd get a 10% stat loss.  You'd sit there and afk 8 hours for every murder past 10 to unred yourself before res.

I mean... not that I ever did that.

reds dont get statloss now, i play one on Atlantic, faction however does :P

I ran with a guild in UO called Dark Elf Nation[DEN].  We use to go into caves, declare them as our homeland and kill everyone who tried to enter who wasn't a clan member.  Eventually this would catch the ire of a load of blues and would result in massive fights before we eventually got cleared out.  Loads of fun was had.

My first foray into PvP.

BLD vs SAS on Sonoma.

FoA server event.

Order vs. Chaos

Random killing and murdering around Cove and Covetous.  Porch fights.  

All of Shadowbane.  Why I'm here with a lot of other people I haven't talked to in a long time. 

nAd1VPD.png

Maplestory.

When I was 11-12 and an illiterate little kiddy I started playing the game and I bumped into two other people just above my age. The year I got to spend on that game before my PC broke down was magical, hanging out with those two people meant a lot to me since irl stuff. Rolled a cleric back then and when level 30 was still a big thing kinda I remember hitting it, them being about 5 levels ahead of me at all times and we used to just chill out 90% of the time and just talk about whatever. It was like day dreaming but with other people and It was probably the most magical feeling I've ever had in an mmo. Really hurts to see the game as what it is but I'm hyped for Maplestory 2, it looks like it retains that whole relaxing as hell atmosphere especially with the player created content.

Shadowbane - 

My small (less than ten people) guild had recently constructed our first city and things were going pretty good...

We had a few vendors with solid items that our higher leveled members had contributed and other local towns were friendly.

Along comes total war between the two largest nations on our server.

One of the nations' capital cities was located not too far from where our city was.

They showed up and gave us the stark choice of: sign up or die.

Being none too fond of losing all of our work, we quickly were co-opted and began contributing to building up our nation.

We were *so* helpful a few of us moved up quickly in the ranks and gained serious access to the capital city.

After many small skirmishes and both sides losing smaller towns, the plan was on for a massive end-all raid of the opposing nation's main city.

This would be our newly adopted nation's finest hour... or would have been had I and a few other saboteurs who had been coerced into joining hadn't crippled our own capital deliberately and removed guards/fortifications/etc... allowing the opposing nation to destroy them even as "our" nation destroyed their capital.

In the end both cities and nations fell apart.

Our tiny city continued to prosper for a few more months before various members fled the game for greener pastures.

No game before or since has provided as much "massively multiplayer" feel and genuine human interaction for me as the build up to this moment.

Best of all, this was not a "scenario" or a "quest" (other than a personal one of vengeance)... this was people using the tools at hand to forge their own story.

Edited by aviansun

Shadowbane - 

My small (less than ten people) guild had recently constructed our first city and things were going pretty good...

We had a few vendors with solid items that our higher leveled members had contributed and other local towns were friendly.

Along comes total war between the two largest nations on our server.

One of the nations' capital cities was located not too far from where our city was.

They showed up and gave us the stark choice of: sign up or die.

Being none too fond of losing all of our work, we quickly were co-opted and began contributing to building up our nation.

We were *so* helpful a few of us moved up quickly in the ranks and gained serious access to the capital city.

After many small skirmishes and both sides losing smaller towns, the plan was on for a massive end-all raid of the opposing nation's main city.

This would be our newly adopted nation's finest hour... or would have been had I and a few other saboteurs who had been coerced into joining hadn't crippled our own capital deliberately and removed guards/fortifications/etc... allowing the opposing nation to destroy them even as "our" nation destroyed their capital.

In the end both cities and nations fell apart.

Our tiny city continued to prosper for a few more months before various members fled the game for greener pastures.

No game before or since has provided as much "massively multiplayer" feel and genuine human interaction for me as the build up to this moment.

Best of all, this was not a "scenario" or a "quest" (other than a personal one of vengeance)... this was people using the tools at hand to forge their own story.

Great story.

nAd1VPD.png

Although there are many, one thing that keeps me giggling is the time I tricked people in Mortal Online that you would get a hidden achievement by jumping off a cliff in that weird jungle city, stating that it was the exact height to get the achievement and special kind of loot would be available. Unfortunately jumping off that cliff killed the person. Needless to say, some people fell for it, which was an achievement itself. Not to mention when you quickly ran to the bottom of the cliff to loot them, you'd get pieces of loot that were special to you. The best part is when you're telling the story, you can drop puns everywhere.

Edited by nehemia

If I could only count how many pvp occasions I have been in where the the odds were clearly stacked against us to the point of people rage quitting like flies and making that epic comeback to win or getting back at the mouth runners, but I'm gonna have to say it was an arena match in SWTOR where I was in a guild premade and we ended up against another decent guild premade. I ran tank as usual, and we had 2 dps and one healer. The other team had 2 healers and 2 dps. Both our teams had one dps that was trying to off-tank. The first round timed out and the opposing team won due to them having 2 healers to keep them alive after the gas. We managed to kill them before the timer ran out in the second round but couldn't get it done in the third round which ended up like the first round. What I liked so much about it was the opposing team even treated it as if we won due to the second round and I had broken my own personal record 700k protection in that match. ( still trying to figure out how to upload images to this site to post the scrrenshot of the results). Anyways, everybody put in quite a bit of work and everybody had fun and felt accomplished at the end and no hurt feelings. What video gaming PvP should be.

Edit: figured something out for screenshot lol : here

Edited by stevencolbear

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

Don't really know my most memorable moment in a MMO. I've got a funny one I remember a lot.

In Xyson me and some friends would dig holes under people while they went afk on our land. Which sucked at the time because you couldn't /stuck or anything out of it. Only choice you had was to delete and remake lol....

We trapped some dude in a hole for like 5 hours one day. All while role-playing as Buffalo Bill. It was great.

I was a young kid when EverQuest came out. 6th grade I think. Anyways, running through the Desert of Ro after getting through the east commonlands, and I came across my first screen-filling Sand Giant. poorly made socks was awe inspiring. Something about all the traveling to get there, the off-script nature, made it much more profound then coming across a boss or something in a normal game.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4

My first taste of pvp in Everquest was like a drug.  I stayed up all night on my level 12 gnome necromancer pvping in Nektulos Forest because I was good at it.  Level 12 was significant because I got new spells.  I would hide behind trees and slow people with dots while they had no idea where it came from.  I stopped playing on PVE servers from that point on.

Another memory was during my High Warlord grind in vanilla WoW.  I had one of my best teams full of Generals and Warlords.  We were against a well known team that we had fought many times.  We each had two flag caps out of three, and both teams had each others flag in middle.  We were lined up facing each other because the other team was taunting us with our flag instead of bringing it to their base.  They knew we needed fast wins or we didn't get enough honor points to gain ranks every week.  If we didn't get enough then we lost ranks.  I told my team to rush the enemy flag carrier at the same time and everyone burst him down including our healers.  We dropped him, got our flag back, and won the game.

Edited by saludeen

Picking just one is hard, so I'll just pick the first memory that really sticks with me.  EQ (back when only Ruins of Kunark was out).  I picked a half-elf rogue, not knowing HE's get dicked over for XP for some inexplicable reason.  As a low level, I wanted to see if I could make my way from Qeynos to Freeport.  Moving stealthed because I somehow thought that would save me, I creeped all the way, getting to that one keep in the mountains, where I walked into the prison area and got smacked down in 2 seconds by some half naked prisoner bum NPC.

You'd think it would feel like a waste of time, but it was the first time I ever explored and it was a dizzying, thrillling experience.

I also remember the haunting music that played on the ocean shore of the Karanas, during sunset or sunrise, and being totally immersed by the experience.  Until I realized the god I picked at character creation for my Paladin was a UFO.  Wtf, Sony?  Lol.

All of my best memories, in every game I've played, have been while exploring new territory for the first time.

Picking just one is hard, so I'll just pick the first memory that really sticks with me.  EQ (back when only Ruins of Kunark was out).  I picked a half-elf rogue, not knowing HE's get dicked over for XP for some inexplicable reason.  As a low level, I wanted to see if I could make my way from Qeynos to Freeport.  Moving stealthed because I somehow thought that would save me, I creeped all the way, getting to that one keep in the mountains, where I walked into the prison area and got smacked down in 2 seconds by some half naked prisoner bum NPC.

You'd think it would feel like a waste of time, but it was the first time I ever explored and it was a dizzying, thrillling experience.

I also remember the haunting music that played on the ocean shore of the Karanas, during sunset or sunrise, and being totally immersed by the experience.  Until I realized the god I picked at character creation for my Paladin was a UFO.  Wtf, Sony?  Lol.

All of my best memories, in every game I've played, have been while exploring new territory for the first time.

Lol nice.  I did the same thing with my troll from Grobb to Freeport.  First time I learned about KOS.