Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crafter bonus EXP

I think it could be an interesting mechanic if crafters got a little bit of bonus exp for damage dealt by their weapons and damage prevented by their armors.

I think it could help to keep crafters a little bit more involved in the battle side of the operations when they get reports saying player X gave you Y amount of exp from the bow you made, or player B gave you C amount of exp from the shield he was using to block attacks.  It would also help the fighters get a bit more involved in crafting operations when you know that your performance in a battle can help out the guys and gals who made your gear.   

It doesn't have to be huge amounts of crafting exp, but it would be a nice little reward to see your creations benefiting your team.  

This would also open the door for communication between the fighters and the crafters.  Things like:

"I see you did (or didn't do) well with that weapon, do you want another just like it or do we want to make a few changes?"

I would also think that this little bonus and report would only come from the first person to equip one of your items.  If they trade it or lose it in battle it no longer gives the crafter any reports or exp. 

This doesnt have to be advancement exp it could be used to help them craft harder to produce items by lowering the fail %, or give them an improved chance of making a higher quality weapon.  Sort of like earning an Inspiration dice in DnD. 

...This doesnt have to be advancement exp it could be used to help them craft harder to produce items by lowering the fail %, or give them an improved chance of making a higher quality weapon.  Sort of like earning an Inspiration dice in DnD. 

Unlike other MMOs, there is no leveling XP.  Although, there is a level of skill progression, it doesn't make sense for the crafter to gain weapon crafting skill advancement just because players are using their weapon.  When the weapon breaks, will it have crafting regression too?

Crafting skill progression should only come from the passive system and actually crafting the item.  What happens with the item afterwards.... is beyond the crafter.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

There's no Active XP (past a certain threshold) so this wouldn't really hold up as you describe. Right now, your reward for being a good crafter will be in the repeat business you're sure to see. Which means "Gettin' paid".   B)

That said, absolutely not against the idea of seeing your contribution to the campaign yield tangible results. But you could say that keeping your allies supplied and keeping fortifications in good shape most certainly helped the war effort. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Already on the radar.

ideally, crafters need to be able to “mark” their product so that they can build a social reputation and a following

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

There is most certainly experience in CF, just not in the same sense. You have crafting skill and you gain skill as you do things. So skill = experience. There will also be a hidden system that determines when and how you get skill ups. 

As for the idea of getting XP/skill ups for people using your weapons, it just doesnt make sense.

If i make you a sword, and see you kill people with, it doesnt make me any better at smithing. At the very least, not any better than from watching you kill people with any other sword.

There will also be a hidden system that determines when and how you get skill ups.

You're thinking of some other game.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

There is most certainly experience in CF, just not in the same sense. You have crafting skill and you gain skill as you do things. So skill = experience. There will also be a hidden system that determines when and how you get skill ups. 

As for the idea of getting XP/skill ups for people using your weapons, it just doesnt make sense.

If i make you a sword, and see you kill people with, it doesnt make me any better at smithing. At the very least, not any better than from watching you kill people with any other sword.

Right because everything makes perfect logical practical sense, plus no one has ever made anything better after watching their creations in action?  

Feedback is not a thing!

Feedback and knowledge is a thing, but magical feedback and knowledge isn't a thing. Magically making a better sword because someone used your sword is pretty weird.

If that were going to occur, I'd immediately demand some kind of Shinigami Archetype who can communicate and/or merge with their weapons, :)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Feedback and knowledge is a thing, but magical feedback and knowledge isn't a thing. Magically making a better sword because someone used your sword is pretty weird.

If that were going to occur, I'd immediately demand some kind of Shinigami Archetype who can communicate and/or merge with their weapons, :)

The idea is that someone can use your creations then give you feedback automatically so you can make the next one better, without having to hunt down every player and make them fill out some survey.  

Lets be real, most of the folks that want to be hardcore crafters don't have much interest in the fighting side of the game.  They will defend themselves and their home if they are forced too, but won't be looking for a fight.  I was just trying to come up with a way to get crafters more involved with fighters, instead of making the divide between the two larger.  In the meantime give them a little reward for the work they do to help the team.  Make them feel like they helped in the fights.  

I have no problems believing we can use magic to get feedback as a way to explain how we are getting information from some game system.  I mean if you have no issues with giant fireballs, instant perfect communication across the game world, and perfect invisibility then magical feedback isn't even a leap.  

I also think that some sort of way for crafters to build up some kind of a bonus to help them when and how they want isn't game breaking, so it seems easy to combine the two ideas into one.  Experience probably is the wrong term for it. 

Plus making stuff for your assault team would probably make you think that yeah your gear (instead of random looted gear) probably helped, maybe.  Which is very much different than knowing exactly how your gear helped get the job done.

As far as a crafted tag goes, if I loot some enemy weapon and it has crafted by whoever on it, then I highly doubt I am going to waste one second trying to hunt down some crafter in one out of how ever many eternal kingdoms there will be to buy something.  It didn't help that guy or gal who just lost it to me after all, so how good can it be?  In guild v guild realms the tag means nothing really.  I won't be asking enemy guild crafters to make me superior weapons any time soon.  I would rather spend my time getting the crafters, that I already know or are guilded with,  the stuff they need to make better things.  If I know I can help them by using their stuff then that may make me work just a little bit harder to do well with their equipment.  

Edited by Belaz

Belaz, I think the feedback idea might have some merit, but it should not be automatic. Lets say you make me a sword, I then spend a season killing poeple. I then give you back the sword, and you can then break it down and gain "feedback" in the way of either direct XP (skill ups), or maybe just a crafting buff of some sort or something.

How does that sound?

That actually sounds interesting, I kind of like the idea of holding on to a weapon until it "breaks" then returning it to whoever created it and has their crafter tag on it, so they can break it down and learn more about it.  Gaining whatever bonuses deserved.

There are a couple issue with that as can I go whack a wall and break the weapon then give it back and get another to cheese the system.  My other thought would be that giving some broken weapon value is a bad thing, because you know that if crafters want it then players will make them pay for it.  Plus its pretty rough when you have an item only useful to one person that you may or may not be able to find, do you really want to lug around a broken item? 

I was trying to come up with something that keeps crafters involved in the daily events of fighters and vise versa.  

...Lets be real, ...

Yes, lets.  CF items have an extremely short lifetime compared with nearly all other MMOs.  Guilds will have dedicated crafters that craft items with whatever resources are currently available.  PvP warriors will use whatever items are currently available to them.  Realistically, players aren't going to care who crafted items and most will definitely not risk taking a high valued item into combat.  They'll want just enough to provide the necessary protection and damage to win their PvP encounters.  

Want to know how well your weapons are? Like Tully mentioned, is with players coming to you for replacements.  If you want more, have some fun in Teamspeak... otherwise I don't think crafting is going to scratch your appreciation itch.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

What a blatant lack of knowledge with regards to the fundamentals of Crowfall.

There is skill advancement and arguably an exp system that facilitates said advancement.

Perhaps instead of being so quick to vomit your condescending d-baggery all over the forums, you could take a moment to either think the OP's suggestion through, or you could take a moment and explain why it's a bad suggestion without so much vitriol and immaturity.

kuZFoIM.png

There is skill advancement and arguably an exp system that facilitates said advancement.

Perhaps instead of being so quick to vomit your condescending d-baggery all over the forums, you could take a moment to either think the OP's suggestion through, or you could take a moment and explain why it's a bad suggestion without so much vitriol and immaturity.

And I should consider your opinion why?

A passive skill training system has no experience... what was there to discuss?

Edited by WreckYoSelf

You mad.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

And I should consider your opinion why?

A passive skill training system has no experience... what was there to discuss?

How do you determine when you have left level one and entered level two?  Would it be an amount of experience required to reach the next level?  You have a new way of measuring skill and knowledge acquired through practice and research that no one knows about?  Some ancient form of learning passed down from tro.ll to tro.ll maybe?

Edited by Belaz