Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Milestone 1: Combat testing - Official discussion thread

still I wouldn't expect much more than a plain "test" environment and basic models. 

But anyway nice to see this milestone. Really looking forward to hear more info about it. 

This is why I said watered down. Bloodstone ruleset is just a different take on CTF. They don't have to delve into deep mechanics or make elaborate animations, while still giving a feel for the game as intended.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Love the direction. The EK was meant to be a campaign with most of the rules turned off but with the same structure (tiling, landscape, plants, buildings, basic physics, etc) so that's a good start to test. Then once you have a place to exist, combat. Bravo ACE. I read the mmorpg article and knew this one was coming but still impressed. Starting from the basics and branching out.

I think it's absolutely critical that combat have a strategic feel to it. Spamming abilities as soon as they come off of cooldown should not be a viable way to play any character. Players hoping to defeat their opponents ought to be required to try and out think/strategize their opponent in real time, saving key abilities for the opportune moment or situation. 

Different weapons and ability types should operate differently, being more or less useful in specific situations. A polearm should have a longer reach and behave differently in combat than a sword. Ranged weapons should not simply be longer ranged versions of melee weapons, but have enough range to make massed volleys an effective tactic.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

This is why I said watered down. Bloodstone ruleset is just a different take on CTF. They don't have to delve into deep mechanics or make elaborate animations, while still giving a feel for the game as intended.

Exactly - Bloodstone should help with combat on the run, which is exactly what they are looking to test.

rSHxVEY.gif

There are two fundamental combat scenarios: open field, and entrenched. Open field combat can be tested in a featureless grey box, although obviously adding some context would be pleasant. Attacking and defending a fortified location will also need significant testing and will need some fortifications to test with.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

There are 25 pre-alpha testers from Kickstarter. I don't now how many there are from pledges on the website, but I'm going to guess not more than 3, given the amount of money raised vs the number of people who have pledged. Hopefully they need about 50 people and most of the people who pledged before me are lower than Sapphire :)

well we got 85 people (from kickstarter) who pledged Ruby and higher. Then the Sapphires get into the game. But if we assume we have 100 people who pledged Ruby and higher (kickstarter + website) I guess that's enough to test the combat - for the moment. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

This is great to see being addressed. I love the order of testing and think you guys are addressing the key features well. I am excited to see what the new system looks like and the possibilities that come along with it :D.

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

well we got 85 people (from kickstarter) who pledged Ruby and higher. Then the Sapphires get into the game. But if we assume we have 100 people who pledged Ruby and higher (kickstarter + website) I guess that's enough to test the combat - for the moment. 

That's possible. I assumed that all Alpha testers would be lumped together and they would get in based on their pledge position. But it does make sense that Ruby and Emerald would get in before Sapphire, even if the Sapphire player pledged before them.

Edited by Arkade

Loving the priorities.  Can't wait to jump into whatever combat iteration you guys come up with.

It was about time we had an amazing update.  This is a good Tuesday.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

while(true){

+1 this post;

}

This news is exactly the one I wanted. Combat is the most critical aspect in this game.

Seeing forward to you guys extending the invitations to Amber :D

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC