Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Milestone 1: Combat testing - Official discussion thread

I'm wondering about this : "The "future" list includes things like the EK and campaign world building, character creation and advancement, voxelization’ and destruction, guild management, economy, and so forth. It's a big list, and we'll be working on this stuff in the background, and revealing it to you as we get deeper and deeper into development."

Will the characters be "voxelized" too? And the trees / houses / maps that we already saw will be too? Or will they rather wipe the prototype and create a brand new environment?

I'm very curious about this process to implement Voxels in the current game world.

I'm wondering about this : "The "future" list includes things like the EK and campaign world building, character creation and advancement, voxelization’ and destruction, guild management, economy, and so forth. It's a big list, and we'll be working on this stuff in the background, and revealing it to you as we get deeper and deeper into development."

Will the characters be "voxelized" too? And the trees / houses / maps that we already saw will be too? Or will they rather wipe the prototype and create a brand new environment?

I'm very curious about this process to implement Voxels in the current game world.

In Landmark, characters, trees, rocks, plants and mobs are all meshes. The land and all of the buildings that players create are voxels. I'd imagine that Crowfall will do something similar.

I remember watching Guild Wars 2 Beta videos and some people were REALLY horrible. Just standing around and taking damage, it was SO frustrating to watch them play and you're like "No, dammit that's not how you do it." Even though you had never played...

I just hope that when combat is being tested, it's given to people who will take advantage of every facet of it so that it's really tested to the limit. MOVE AROUND please. Go as twitchy as you can to see if it isn't too twitchy etc. That sort of thing.

Other than that, very nice read. I'm glad for the priorities, and I know that if you guys stick to the basics and with sheer determination, you will certainly succeed instead of running around doing filler bits that are shallow and quick because it was simply iterative. Good luck!

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I don't think the characters will be voxel. BUT, it could be kinda cool if there was at least one creature in the world -- say a stone golem -- that was voxellized, if that's possible.

"Guys, the quarry's run dry! TO THE GOLEM NEST!"

*Everyone charges in, lops off a couple of golem arms, then takes them back to the base for processing.*

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I remember watching Guild Wars 2 Beta videos and some people were REALLY horrible. Just standing around and taking damage, it was SO frustrating to watch them play and you're like "No, dammit that's not how you do it." Even though you had never played...

I just hope that when combat is being tested, it's given to people who will take advantage of every facet of it so that it's really tested to the limit. MOVE AROUND please. Go as twitchy as you can to see if it isn't too twitchy etc. That sort of thing.

Other than that, very nice read. I'm glad for the priorities, and I know that if you guys stick to the basics and with sheer determination, you will certainly succeed instead of running around doing filler bits that are shallow and quick because it was simply iterative. Good luck!

I agree. I remember the same thing with Wildstar. I hope people take risks and jump around, TRY THINGS, EXPERIMENT and see how we can make things better. :) "Now is the time for guts and guile!" Can't wait to get in there and break stuff.

^

That's probably the reason I wont be watching any streams.

Having to watch some baddy play a videogame makes me mad.

If forced I'd probably have to borrow a screwdriver from primal.

If someone finds a stream with someone who's not a complete downsie, then pls shoot me a pm. Thx in advance :wub:

Edited by freeze

Will do haha. I have quite a few guildies who will be streaming as they get in. :) Once I move to my new place next year (with good internet) I will be streaming as well. No promises that I won't be a baddie though. :P

lemme know of those private streams too hahaha since no pre alpha posted on streamer's topic yet :/

mael4.jpg

In Landmark, characters, trees, rocks, plants and mobs are all meshes. The land and all of the buildings that players create are voxels. I'd imagine that Crowfall will do something similar.

Interesting! We can indeed presume Crowfall could follow the same path.

If they haven't yet implemented the Voxels during the first phases of the test, I will probably be able to play the game on this laptop I'm using.  :)

Edited by courant101

A bit late, but so gld to see we're finally getting something juicy! Let's hope we get a streamer or podcaster in, so we can get a sneak view and see how it's shaping up!

If the combat system is tight, everything else is secondary.

LW_sig_concept5.jpg

Through the Hunger and Darkness, might our Light shine through...

- (Future) Character name: Ydriel -

Nice update! Nice too see the team at work. I hope the people you get to test will give you the feedback you need, I´m somewhere in the list of top 700 can´t wait to be a part of the development of something I believ in. See you in game? Soon? Pretty pls?

Edit:I will also stream :D

Edited by arro

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

A bit late, but so gld to see we're finally getting something juicy! Let's hope we get a streamer or podcaster in, so we can get a sneak view and see how it's shaping up!

If the combat system is tight, everything else is secondary.

It's all been juicy so far..... also with the constant updates that the Devs post.  I hope that doesn't fade out like most MMO's did in the past.

ACE would probably want to segment the players who are going to be testing into groups, by player skill, by connection speed, maybe by some other criteria, to make sure that their player base is more or less equally represented, in the test and the results of testing are equally appealing to ( and accepted by) the major groups of players making up the total population.

I am pretty sure that you should not test the combat with bloodstones only for the sake of realiable testing results. You'd probably need at very least some hardcore nerds there as well.

Edited by rajah

I suspect we can safely trust ACE to figure out who they want to invite to testing all by themselves.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

ACE would probably want to segment the players who are going to be testing into groups, by player skill, by connection speed, maybe by some other criteria, to make sure that their player base is more or less equally represented, in the test and the results of testing are equally appealing to ( and accepted by) the major groups of players making up the total population.

I am pretty sure that you should not test the combat with bloodstones only for the sake of realiable testing results. You'd probably need at very least some hardcore nerds there as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that someone who spends 10k on a video game is hardcore nerd.

Combat will be iterated on many times before they are done with it. It won't be just the pre-alphas testing it.