Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Milestone 1: Combat testing - Official discussion thread

ACE would probably want to segment the players who are going to be testing into groups, by player skill, by connection speed, maybe by some other criteria, to make sure that their player base is more or less equally represented, in the test and the results of testing are equally appealing to ( and accepted by) the major groups of players making up the total population.

I am pretty sure that you should not test the combat with bloodstones only for the sake of realiable testing results. You'd probably need at very least some hardcore nerds there as well.

How will they know who has skill when looking at the comments here, everyone is the best?

Although it appears having money and choosing to spend it on games removes it some how.

We should base it on game history, someone called themselves an "industry vet" with 10 years of gaming. I must be "super duper vet" with double that. I must know what I'm talking about. Over 20 years online, I might need to go outside.  B)

Edited by allein

actually its really up to ACE to choose their testing strategies, its a complex matter and we can be talking on the forums all we want, but only they have the whole picture and know what is better

Probably why they said they'd just go down the list. Simple and fair. People did purchase access to specific Alpha/Betas after all. It would be silly of them to let in 10k folks for pre-Alpha that some paid thousands for specifically. Even if they made pre-Alpha a month or something, it will need to feel special. Safe to assume they'll go top to bottom by amount spent and then place in line. Not complex or subjective system needed.

Edited by allein

It's good that they are trying to nail down PvP combat now, since it will make or break the game.

Personally I've tended to stray away from PvP in most MMO's, being either tedious, repetitive or patiently unfair.

The few games where I've actually enjoyed PvP is where they require you to think through your actions, and take the time to understand the mechanics.  Less about twitch reaction (while still playing a part) and more about the decision making process.

Where spamming skills/attacks (if even possible) is liable to get you killed very easily, whether in PvP or PvE.  It should be about positioning, timing and aiming.

Ie, Games like Dark Souls, SMITE, Monster Hunter.

As for skills and hotbars, I've always preferred games with limited hotbars, say 4-8 skills.  Instead of having a huge number of skills that you spam and rotate through, I prefer having a small subset of skills, each having a great deal of depth.  See every MOBA ever.

Which would probably fit in well with Crowfalls Archetypes quite well.

Thou another thing I am a fan of is customization with skills, such as picking the skills from a pool or modifying them, where your skill bar defines how you play. But given that your bar is very limited, you have to make hard decisions as to what you want to do, while still leaving enough freedom to change your mind later.

Being stuck doing the same rout thing over and over gets to be pretty boring.

So enough leeway to change my mind and make decisions, but limited enough where I cannot do everything, I must specialize.

If voxels aren't in but you're doing the combat design testing does this mean you're not letting players deform the terrain without siege engines? If Earth Bending was going to be a thing I figure it'd need to be integrated into the flow of combat from the start.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

Pretty sure the only factors for priority are : Beta entitlement > backer #. I think they won't prioritize a backer who pledged $900 over a backer who pledged $880 if the latter has a lower backer #. So, if this is correct, a player with a Ruby pledge (Alpha 1) and another player with Sapphire pledge (Alpha 1) both have to refer to their backer # to see who got the priority. However I could be totally wrong and I guess we'll know soon enough.  :)

well that's true. I just assumed because we are in the pre-pre-...-pre-alpha phase they go from pre-alpha access backers to the higher backers and also take the backer # into account. But yes.... we will see. Sadly I backed pretty late D=

If voxels aren't in but you're doing the combat design testing does this mean you're not letting players deform the terrain without siege engines? If Earth Bending was going to be a thing I figure it'd need to be integrated into the flow of combat from the start.

Well deformed surfaces can be simulated with a very rough test surface with lot's of hills, valleys, etc. to ensure the 3-dimensional aspect. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

One feature (which heavily interacts with a whole other system) being not ready shouldn't delay the testing of the rest of the system. This is fundamental bug and UI testing: "does this stuff work and feel good to use?"

Eventually skills will get balanced, added, removed, and placed into classes. ACE needs only one person to exploit the hell out of something to figure out if it's broken.

Edited by motstandet

Our hopes are on the rich people to not screw things up.  Starting to sound like real life...  Hopefully it doesn't wind up as bleak.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Oh, and #officewindowstretchgoal

I think that would be #newofficesforACEstretchgoal, but not in the near term.  :)   We're hoping to grab the office across the hall that has a window but it's currently taken.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

I think that would be #newofficesforACEstretchgoal, but not in the near term.  :)   We're hoping to grab the office across the hall that has a window but it's currently taken.

Put a monitor on the wall with an animated tropical beach scene or something....ooo...projection screen ala Total Recall or Back to the Future II would work as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

Our hopes are on the rich people to not screw things up.  Starting to sound like real life...  Hopefully it doesn't wind up as bleak.

if the minority screws up, they will quickly catch the trend and change something. Also they have more than one iteration each with a few more people I guess. 

And to add something: It's not like we have some rookie devs here. They know what they want to do or at least have several plans for a combat system. ( I mean I myself have several for my own game so I expect them to have them, haha ^^) If one isn't working as intended I guess they have some aces up their sleeves. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Just make a hole in the wall in the current room, PLAY TO CRUSH !!!