Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannibal man

State of the Guild Forum Section

When I saw who had posted this thread I came in expecting nonsensical drivel.  I have to give it to you though, you really surprised me, and I agree with everything you said 100%.  I would add my two cents but I think you covered it  pretty comprehensively.  Bravo, you damn lunatic.  

Edited by Abel

It's going to really hurt when people start losing loot, having their equipment broken, and generally getting griefed if they can't handle forum banter without having an aneurysm.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

That's when you go back to the EK and plan your beauty contests.

We already know I'm the prettiest princess.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Some might fail to realize that if they remove the filter all the way, many would likely be banned. Seems like some get away with saying rather offensive and CoC breaking comments because "custard" takes all the wind out of the comment and actually make it rather amusing. But if people want to take that risk, so be it, especially when the game is out.

For those wanting to play the "political game" what does that look like at this stage? I briefly played SB and only screwed around with a friend's character in DF so missed the whole forum battle thing. Do you all simply talk trash to one another? "I'm going to own you in the game where people get owned"? Honestly sort of lost where some plan to take it and especially at this point. Most appear to not even represent a guild currently, not sure how "political" an individual can be. Unless I'm missing some deeper complexity to the concept. Was this tied into how Banes worked? Start the clock then hit the forums to "fight" before the fight?

I get there is a clique that get the inside joke or whatever, but as there is likely to be just as many if not a lot more that don't, might need to shed some light so others get what is going on. If not, really don't see them pulling back on the policies. If someone says something that appears offensive under the assumption that someone will "get it" that isn't likely to keep the masses happy.

This brings up an interesting question though.

Generally, politics work best when there are server boards. That's where it's relevant and splitting the discussion up so that guilds talking smack, giving public statements, etc.are generally only doing in the context of their own server, where it's relevant and doesn't create a giant ball of stuff you have to sift through to get what might be important on your server and in your particular situation.

Crowfall's campaign system screws with that forumla, and thus it makes me think that automating the forums (or just putting a little more on Pann's plate) to serve a separate discussion section for each campaign is probably the best way to handle it (and then a catch-all "politics" forum for general poorly made socksslining)

This then rolls over in to auto-archiving those forums, making sure you can search them, etc.

It seems like a pretty trivial thing, but imagine Crowfall five years down the line after its been through who knows how many campaigns. It would seem pretty obvious that for the calrity and general function of the boards to thing about automating that sort of thing and tying it in to the server backend somehow or it could get very, very labor intensive. I don't think we want a world in which Pann and the mods have to oversee tasks like that if the game becomes popular and we're looking at campaigns starting and ending in the tens or twenties each week.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Politics forums are fine but as Valor said - the real politics rarely happen on the forums.

As for the language filters - removing those will degrade the community overall as it did with Darkfall - where no person in the right mind would go read the forums as they were full of BS and injured egos of a frustrated few.

So please ACE stick to your policy and do not let a few noisy characters convince you to turn these forums, and eventually your game, into a dump.

/salute

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

The real politics don't happen on the forum?

The forum is where it goes down. The forum decides the fate of the server.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I don't know about you but last time I checked politics are usually quite civil.

You can make a point without flinging poorly made socks at each other and pretending it's a normal thing to do.

532c836f2a.png

Absolutely preposterous

That's my thoughts on this section of the boards. Now many of you know my beliefs about why the OT forums are awful, but in this section of my utterly great rants I thought I'd go on about what the Guild Discussion boards are lacking and how they are currently holding back the growth of a healthy community.

-First off, not being able to talk guild politics is absolutely insane. INSANE. Every, and I mean every, pvp mmorpg allows their community to talk about this important subject. Political banter breeds competition, competition breeds activity, activity breeds money in Artcraft's pocket. Not to mention forum usage spikes, community involvement grows, and a whole other list of effects. This policy needs to change ASAP.

-No cursing allowed? Look, I'm a big proponent of free speech and in a game that offers more freedom than the average game out there means your going to end up with a lot of people like me. Now, I can kind've understand why you have a profanity filter for the other boards, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Especially for the OT boards. However, the Guild section is ABSOLUTELY where profanity needs to be allowed. This is where kids come to whine after losing that siege. Or talk trash about winning that epic pvp battle. And even better yet, part of the way guilds establish dominance over others! For this forum to disallow profanity is like stepping back in time, and is going to stop a lot of people from truly getting the most out of this game. Shoot, I know people who didn't back the kickstarter because of this very reason!

- Make two guild sections. One for recruitment and the place where the... undesirables can talk about their individual guild. Then the other about actual political discussion. But until that happens, you guys HAVE to change this particular section around to allow the above mentioned policies.

To be plain, it is just killing me how you guys are impeding the growth of this community. If you don't see how, then my expectations for Crowfall will unfortunately drop. After all, a game's forum is oftentimes just as important as any crucial part of the actual game.

It is my sincere hope that you guys had a plan in the future to seriously revamp the boards to be somewhat similar to what I posted, but you guys need to up your timeline. The community will be crippled til then.

Anyway mods, kept it clean for ya for once even though it was hypocritical to do so. Please don't lock.

Agreed on everything, a huge chunk of the political aspect of this game is going to go down the drains as things are standing right now.

Also loads of you numb chucks are pretty clueless, the politics don't go down in the forums? LOL! Every major war is going to be decided forum-side most likely. Swaying the hearts of the masses one way or the other through propaganda is a big part of the political Meta, given that we're allowed to speak freely as adults, go on rants, make poorly made socks-talk and generally making other people look bad.

Edited by Zushakon

Member of The BlackHand Order

LOL these Lantern Watch guys are gonna get owned so hard.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

LOL these Lantern Watch guys are gonna get owned so hard.

One more!  Make it count!  Also make sure to tag Headlight since he vowed to beat you to it.

[@--(o.O)@]