Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Combat Chat - Official discussion thread

COMBAT!! We are going to get spoiled with these non-EK updates :P

EDIT:

So after watching the vid, I Like the sound of the Combo system and like that fact they not using Wildstar as an example anymore, its more DC Online and Tera. Combo and action based combat sounds a lot better then some disco flashy telegraph junk IMO.

Edited by pang

Making combat feel more fluid by chaining animations sounds awesome. Will there be branches in the chains to keep it fluid, but also be able to change your tactics on the fly? If you are on NormDPS III and want to stun or block, will there be a stopping position in the animation of NormDPS III that leads to Stun I or Block I, then back to NormDPS IV to keep it fluid? Hopefully that makes sense.

Got me laughing because Tully switches between being on the verge of cracking up and super serious mode the entire interview.

Edited by primal

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Regarding nameplates.. Thomas, why don't you just show them when players are being aimed at?

Making combat feel more fluid by chaining animations sounds awesome. Will there be branches in the chains to keep it fluid, but also be able to change your tactics on the fly? If you are on NormDPS III and want to stun or block, will there be a stopping position in the animation of NormDPS III that leads to Stun I or Block I, then back to NormDPS IV to keep it fluid? Hopefully that makes sense.

Yea probably it's identical to what TERA does. Try it out, it's free.

y9tj8G5.png

Regarding nameplates.. Thomas, why don't you just show them when players are being aimed at?

Yea probably it's identical to what TERA does. Try it out, it's free.

I've played TERA and they have said that's what they wanted to emulate....but I'm curious how far they're wanting their combination system to go. You could only chain so far in TERA, and I felt like I was going back to the 'neutral' position often, especially in PVP in order to use the FoTM skill rotation. Since they're limiting archetypes/races/etc as it's cheaper, I was hopeful that would free up some animation resources to allow it to branch off onto multiple abilities better than TERA did.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Got me laughing because Tully switches between being on the verge of cracking up and super serious mode the entire interview.

Don't nail me to it but that's something games like ESO also struggled with: Defensive/reactionary actions need to take priority before attacks/kombos. And you need to be able to break out of combos inbetween each step to be able to adjust (for example: Being in Onslaught II and pressing the Button that should start another combo should break you out of Onslaught). 

There is another important dimension: Rooting. During basic attacks you should be able to freely move, while in a wind-up of a combo animation it makes sense that the character is firmly rooted at it's position.

Edited by Angier

hm.... sounds really promising. I really liked the Tera combat. I mean when I first started it, it was like a whole new world (to me) so I really appreciate this approach. 

The combo system is also a good approach, since having 20+ skills and active doging, blocking is really messy. I mean I have a Naga but some games are still too loaded with skills. The ability to chain them up (and possibly change the different chains) could be nice. However I gotta feel this system. Can't really speculate if it is working or not. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Behind the scenes: I was running a high fever when we filmed this and was really distracted by the puppies playing outside the window behind Blair. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Guild Wars 2 also uses a combo system whereby the first ability lead's to a higher rank of the same ability. Makes for more fluid combat IMO.

Another thing I think should be added is when activating one ability makes a different ability stronger. Meaning skill A adds a fire DoT along with doing damage, skill B does more damage to targets that are burning. That usually coincides with a combo system as I have seen from other games.  

Guild Wars 2 also uses a combo system whereby the first ability lead's to a higher rank of the same ability. Makes for more fluid combat IMO.

As you already mention GW2, I think the Idea in this game, letting players combo not only their own skills, but create new effects (heal, buff, ...) through combos with other players (so for example a water field from one player and a blast finisher from another one resulted  into an aoe heal) is really strong and adds a lot to playing in a team.

But for the video, I loved it! Keep those coming, they are fun to watch and keep us in the loop.

Edited by Dwayna

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC