Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sardoni

Archetype Idea: Dreamteller

Class: Dreamteller
Role: Support

Description: Manipulates dreams (buffs) and nightmares (debuffs).  Pulling nightmares from allies to give them to enemies and pulling dreams from enemies to give them to allies.  Has a unique advantage in pacifying thralls (either forcing the rebellion sooner or pacifying them for later).

A dealer in dreams.  Either the dreams/nightmares can be a harvested resource from allies/enemies that can be combined with other reagents in the world to make buffs/debuffs or it could be a unique class resource pool that would need to be stocked up on and maintained.  I can picture one version of this class sitting in town and peddling dreams.  Harvesting nightmares from players that have thralls in their weapons and bestowing dreams (buffs) on people as they leave for battle.  Sort of a mix between a Controller/Defender from City of Heroes and an Entertainer from Star Wars Galaxies (clearly having more combat viability than an entertainer did :P).

Promotion classes:
Night Terror - Emphasis on debuff effects.  Nightmares given to enemies are stronger. (Certain debuffs exclusive to this promotion)
Enthraller - Emphasis on pacifying/controlling thralls (possibly summoning thralls as a pet class: exclusive to this promotion.)
Daydreamer - Emphasis on buff effects.  Dreams given to allies are stronger. (Certain buffs exclusive to this promotion)

Weapon:
Dreamcatcher
dreamcatcher.jpg
(It could also be a trumpet)

Appearance:
I envision the male and female classes closely resembling a gypsy-esque clothing concept.
42388e9e608435668a4867e40527f04d.jpg
Russka-romani-chaj_003.jpg

They could even appear as something completely different.  Maybe a new race all together (doesn't have to be humanistic).  This is just the images that were summoned from my own mind.

Lore:
"In all things dreams reveal
the things that thoughts could never feel
and thoughts we've felt we've never seen;
so maybe it was all a dream."
(I wrote that :P)

Malekai took notice of the guile that existed among the Dreamtellers and decided to bestow a few tricks of his own to help move things along.  What once was ruse will now come true.  Dreamtellers started noticing that they had a new way to soothe as well as new way to curse.  Others found out they could speak to the dead and bind them to objects in this world.

Most took the Dreamtellers for fools.  Time will tell how long they will allow the misconception to continue.

Like to add any thoughts?

mael4.jpg

Been around the MMO Block...

Sardoni

Well at least it's a unique idea that some thought was given to. That's more then what we've been getting as of late on the suggestion threads.

"Where there is unity there is always victory." -- Publilius Syrus

"If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." -- Phil Hellmuth
"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

Well at least it's a unique idea that some thought was given to. That's more then what we've been getting as of late on the suggestion threads.

I haven't decided if that's positive praise or not lol.

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

I haven't decided if that's positive praise or not lol.

It's intended to be. I'm pleased with the thought given to a unique idea. I just haven't decided if I like it yet or not.

Edited by toteofmagik

"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

It's intended to be. I'm pleased with the thought given to a unique idea. I just haven't decided if I like it yet or not.

My only concern is we don't yet know enough about how they intend to iterate the druid or forgemaster so it's hard to gauge if I have redundancies in the level of support they might already provide.

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

So what method of damage dealing are we talking about? Or is this a straight up non-combatant buff support?

Edited by toteofmagik

So what method of damage dealing are we talking about? Or is this a straight up non-combatant buff support?

Probably damage of time effects would suit it thematically, but I'm not opposed to any further ideas.  Mystical/magical damage seems more appropriate than physical.

A straight buff support might also be interesting as well, but generally classes that don't have some solo viability to tend to be niche.

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

Probably damage of time effects would suit it thematically, but I'm not opposed to any further ideas. Mystical/magical damage seems more appropriate than physical.

A straight buff support might also be interesting as well, but generally classes that don't have some solo viability to tend to be niche.

A straight buffer would be interesting, but if it's of any value, they'll just become target #1 like a healer would.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the politically correct term is Romani (or Roma)

Perhaps.  The primary wikipedia article doesn't insinuate that the term gypsy is a slur however an offshoot page referring to Sri Lankans does.  The irony being the title of that page is "Sri Lankan Gypsy people".

"The word Gypsy in English has become so pervasive that many Romani organizations use it in their own organizational names."

If I've offended you as a Romani; I apologize.  Clearly this thread was not derogatory in nature.  The term gypsy is admittedly more popularized than the word Romani.  For all intents and purposes the "gypsies" in this fantasy setting will have experienced different trials and tribulations than the ones in real life.

What if they could temporarily manifest dreams into the real world as minions? Doing indirect dps through summons would fit the idea, more than direct damage, I think.

Similar to perhaps a Ritualist in Guild Wars 1?  I can dig that.  Skill list as an example.  However in most pvp games classes that have pets as their primary source of damage do tend to fall in niche categories because their effectiveness often didn't scale as well as other classes.  The Aion Spiritmaster is a good example of a class that required a hard uncounterable CC just to land their damage (which could be cleansed off with a consumable potion otherwise).  Also in Elder Scrolls Online the summoner offshoot of the mage didn't do well in Siege defense settings because of pet AI behavior being terrible.

As long as the class doesn't get bogged down in AI troubles; I like where you're going with that idea :)

Edited by sardoni

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

A straight buffer would be interesting, but if it's of any value, they'll just become target #1 like a healer would.

I fail to see the problem in priority targetting.  If a group of opponents is taking out your support first... they're doing it right? :P

That would also fall on that support/healer to be gearing/stating correctly for PVP.  Dead healer heals for 0 after all.

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

Perhaps.  The primary wikipedia article doesn't insinuate that the term gypsy is a slur however an offshoot page referring to Sri Lankans does.  The irony being the title of that page is "Sri Lankan Gypsy people".

"The word Gypsy in English has become so pervasive that many Romani organizations use it in their own organizational names."

This is basically the "I'm not racist, I have many black friends who say it's ok" fallacy.

I fail to see the problem in priority targetting. If a group of opponents is taking out your support first... they're doing it right? :P

That would also fall on that support/healer to be gearing/stating correctly for PVP. Dead healer heals for 0 after all.

I didn't say it was a problem. I was just pointing it out.

This is basically the "I'm not racist, I have many black friends who say it's ok" fallacy.

This would be an example of the "Appeal to probability" fallacy.

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

I've never heard it considered a slur. That's news to me. However I haven't said the word gypsy in ages.

I've never heard it considered a slur. That's news to me. However I haven't said the word gypsy in ages.

As I poll my friends in team speak it's apparently a Euro-centric issue.  In the United States we only have the Hunchback of Notre Dame as a reference point. :P

mael4.jpg

Sardoni

This could lead somewhere I think.

But i'd wish they take a step back from pure humanoids if they ever plan to add new archetypes.

Mechanic wise ,a dreamteller could lock away another player in a dream phase ,where the victim is faced against night terrors and other disturbing delusions

The dreamteller has to channel this ability and isn't able to move.They also cant interrupt this ability immediately beyond dream stage 2

sleep-stages.gif

To get the picture; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6sMFyUtNk

Once there was my best friend in a dream and he invited me for a dance.I gave into it and his face became like 

350px-Creatures-Ethereal.jpg

He started to speak in a demonic language ,putting more emphasis on each word every time.

I felt trapped and couldn't escape his gaze.So without knowing what to do i pushed my whole index finger in his eyesocket, and woke up short after.

Strangely i never told him about the dream and yet I never had contact with him ever again.

Now how should the dreamteller look?maybe some hindu influences?

ac435f8d6473834843e5e92b882047f4.jpg

So we'd end up with some kind of djinn that can channel good/happy feeling dreams and dreams of terror and delusion 

%22Delta_Djinn%22_concept_art.jpg

Edited by Tipsy

could be a good idea, maybe give them some support heals(the power of positive thought thing) or lessen enemies healing by the opposite method through negativity. interesting idea if it could be enough to make a class....interesting though. I like it.

I don't dislike the idea itself, but I'd rather not have a class that has "If you use this skill, allies near you get this buff". Crowfall has shown with the legionnaire that they'd prefer an active game with active support. Nothing against buffs/debuffs, of course. Just the implementation.

How would you see the Dreamteller applying these buffs and debuffs? Meaning, what sorts of skills do you imagine the Dreamteller using?

What sorts of buffs/debuffs will the Dreamteller apply?

Edited by Dondagora