Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why are people interested in "dregs"?

More like an extended king of the hill? It's the champion's league of the King of the Hill. If you have not experienced FFA guild warfare with politics and anything and everything related to it, you'll never know what it's like, no matter how many paragraphs of text I'd write. You'll have to experience it yourself, and it will be the most cherished PvP memory you'll ever have.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's a widespread misunderstanding that Dregs is an individual-scale battleground. It's not- it's a faction vs faction campaign just like any other, except that the factions are player-made and dyn

The reason people want to play in the Dregs is it will have the most hardcore setting. Some folks like that hardcore. The reason people want to play in the Dregs is it will have the most political se

Just to be clear, FFA doesn't mean guilds won't form; guilds will very much be part of the server. This fact underlines that factions will be emergent rather that prefabricated. People interested in t

FF primarily applies discipline to all ranged and melee classes with wide arch attacks.  Especially those that have grown so used to spamming their abilities.  FF forces you to anticipate your front line melee movements in order to gain a shot... or you move to a location where you have a clean shot.  

This is why zerg groups don't last with FF and how smaller squad groups become far more effective... which leads to more tactical and strategic PvP battles.  If there was a CW with a FF ruleset and one without, I (and the rest of my guild) will surely be in the FF CW... no questions asked.  We will also have a strict no ally PK/TK policy in our CoC (Code of Conduct) charter.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Friendly fire is not that big a deal. Took 10 minutes of playing dfo and a moderate amount of common sense to mitigate it. It most likely will happen sporadically but still not be an issue to competitive pvpers in CF as well. Anyong who thinks more tactical play will show up on the faction servers probably hasn't played much outside of your typical battleground conquest ie guildwars2 eso. Friendly fire in my experience has always favored player skill and tactical thinking during fights.

No amount within reason will fix it..when youre taking damage from your enemies and all your ranged friends...thats a poor system for this style of combat.

This is called the "argument of personal incredulity". Essentially means you can' t understand how that would work, so you believe it to be impossible. It is just another version of the "argument of ignorance". Not very compeling.

It is very much possible to make Friendly Fire work well with melee without resulting in a "battle ship fight" situation. Spamming AoEs is not how you win fights in a game that has well designed and skill based combat. A group of melee players who are coordinated charging into the enemy is very efficient, and if your ranged are decent players they will not AoE their friends down.

The Dregs are where it is at, hardcore competitive setting where organized guilds that are self sufficient and serious about the game will most likely go.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

This is called the "argument of personal incredulity". Essentially means you can' t understand how that would work, so you believe it to be impossible. It is just another version of the "argument of ignorance". Not very compeling.

It is very much possible to make Friendly Fire work well with melee without resulting in a "battle ship fight" situation. Spamming AoEs is not how you win fights in a game that has well designed and skill based combat. A group of melee players who are coordinated charging into the enemy is very efficient, and if your ranged are decent players they will not AoE their friends down.

The Dregs are where it is at, hardcore competitive setting where organized guilds that are self sufficient and serious about the game will most likely go.

Very well stated. I'm looking forward to so much with this game.

Don't be elitists.

/s

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

The reason people want to play in the Dregs is it will have the most hardcore setting. Some folks like that hardcore.

The reason people want to play in the Dregs is it will have the most political setting. Some folks like their politics.

The reason people want to play in the Dregs is they are tired of not being able to kill some trash talker. Some folks can back up their poorly made socks.

Yeah this is just all sorts of incorrect, there will be a ton of guilds and strategic combat in the Dregs. Most of the guilds that are known around here are going to play in them currently. As more guilds join the fray here, I am sure they might like the faction or GvG settings, but the old DF, SB and UO players/guilds are all dregs bound at the moment.

/amen

Sounds awful lol. Where's the fun in that?

Run a solid and respected organized guild in a PvP sandbox with FF without such a policy and let us know how well the drama works for you.  

Not to mention, your guild being on a faction-wide KoS, to a point where your guild is locked down by the entire server.  Have fun with that.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Salutations folks,I hear quite a few folks talking about joining dregs. What's the allure? To my understanding its free for all. That doesn't seem like much fun to me as your missing out on all the factional and religion aspects of the game. And it seems that it would cater less to tactical combat and more like an extended king of the hill.

I might be misunderstanding an aspect of dregs so feel free to fill me in.thanks!

You did miss something really important!

Dregs isn't true free for all, it is guild vs guild but with friendly fire.

You did miss something really important!

Dregs isn't true free for all, it is guild vs guild but with friendly fire.

Wrong. Current plans are for all worlds to have Friendly Fire.

Dregs will allow true unaffiliated solo players, hence Free For All.

He be all about that zerg

About that zerg

No skill tho

(to the tune of "all about that bass")

Actually I steer away from zergs,my gw2 guild is almost strictly small man skirmish . Other than gw2 I get my pvp buzz from eve,where I'm part of a wormhole corp. And I love collision detection like in warhammer.

Because a friendly fire system (without a safe guard option) will ruin ffa large scale and tight quarters combat. The meta will quickly become forming ranged dos groups that lob shots at each other (pirate ship combat) which becomes lame in a hurry.

. And while this is imho I feel safe saying its a forgone conclusion.

. And to repeat...if they add a safe guard option ( people in guilds/groups are safe from FF) then it becomes like eve..and I can certainly get behind that.

Hyjaxx

you realize ff isn't that big of a deal right? If you've every played in an environment that has it, it just requires a little bit more tactical/strategic planning than, "...ok everyone, follow me and spam your powers..."

It opens up strategies that don't exist in a non-ff world.

it forces groups to think about their composition and how they intend to fight...and helps ensure now 'best' solution.

friendly fire introduces all kinds of gaming goodness...

Because a friendly fire system (without a safe guard option) will ruin ffa large scale and tight quarters combat. The meta will quickly become forming ranged dos groups that lob shots at each other (pirate ship combat) which becomes lame in a hurry.

Free ff tactics lesson...friendly fire makes the exact opposite true.

how do you counter a ranged aoe spec? you close with them, with heavy melee and render their aoe useless.

of course then you get combined arms elements with each side having it's ranged aoe, ranged melee, pb heavy melee...and then the real fun begins.

A Free For All ruleset allows more freedom and it is as simple as that.  Loyalty means more when betrayal is possible.  And if someone betrays you, you want to be able to kill them.  If someone betrays you in a non-FFA ruleset, you can't punish them in the same way.  The political sandbox feels less dynamic when you are restricted from killing your own faction.

"Traitor!  He stole the materials we were hoarding!"

"Kill him!"

"We can't in this ruleset..."

IhhQKY6.gif

I cant tell you all how much I appreciate your thoughts on this matter,its really opened my eyes to some other possibilities.and while my mind isn't made up, ive never been one to shy away from a challenge. I'm excited to get the opportunity to play with you folks in game.

Ive spent most my time in mmos strictly in large scale pvp. From tabula Rasa to warhammer,eve,eso,gw2 ECT and this game interests me to a level that far exceeds any of those titles. So thanks again for your thoughts and opinions.

hyjaxx