Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kampfbock

merge professions and classes

just a random idea that popped into my head,but ill throw it out anyway.

from what we know we can assume CFs professions will be important,they will be effort and time consuming and actually matter.

and we also know that there will be quite a variety in classes with their sub-classes and so on.

but what if the profession you have would also have an impact on the skills for combat you possess.

this could be easily done by giving each profession a skill-set that can be unlocked just like your class skill tree,but not by leveling your character but by leveling your profession.

another way would be to make the skill-set dependable on what combination of profession and class you have.

so a knight/blacksmith would have another profession skill-set than duelist/blacksmith.

Edited by kampfbock

For every archetype or discipline they add, they need to add increasing amounts of skills/abilities. This makes it hard for ACE to create a large and varying set of archetypes and skills. I am not sure I would be comfortable with suggesting such an overhead to the developers.

Edited by Kalsomir

This is already planned. Knight archetype doesnt have ranged attacks, but he can promote to sentinel and add bow skills.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'm not sure what you mean by professions. I was under the impression that crafting skills were going to be treated like any other. Potential determined by archetype/promotion/disciplines, then trained as you see fit.

IE: A forgemaster would start innately with a Platesmithing cap of 75, could promote to a crafting-heavy Promotion class for another 25, then pick a discipline for another 15, giving a final Platesmithing cap of 115. A knight on the other hand could start with a cap of 65, could promote for another 20, and pick the same discipline for 15, giving them 100. The two characters would be vastly different, but could both potentially be blacksmiths. In either case, points put into training Platesmithing would come at the cost of other skills, meaning the character would be less effective in combat. (Though the promotion class could offer some combat utility that you'd really only see on that type of character)

I might be wrong

This is already planned. Knight archetype doesnt have ranged attacks, but he can promote to sentinel and add bow skills.

Always one step ahead of me. Y U No let me be helpful?

Didn't Todd or Thomas say something about everyone being able to pick up any weapon?

Wish I bookmarked stuff.

I am sure that doesn't apply to shields though

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Didn't Todd or Thomas say something about everyone being able to pick up any weapon?

Wish I bookmarked stuff.

I am sure that doesn't apply to shields though

They did, but they also said every character may not have access to skills and training for every weapon. So you could probably use a shield, but you'd be as effective with it as an untrained newbie if you tried to use it on a combo that didn't have access to it.

You'd need discs to go off-class, and I'd imagine in some cases there simply aren't any options to train specific types of gear no matter what you do.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

They did, but they also said every character may not have access to skills and training for every weapon. So you could probably use a shield, but you'd be as effective with it as an untrained newbie if you tried to use it on a combo that didn't have access to it.

You'd need discs to go off-class, and I'd imagine in some cases there simply aren't any options to train specific types of gear no matter what you do.

Yeah..

Armor, including shields, are probably archetype bound.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I sure hope we don't end up with "Druid Armor", "Forgemaster Armor", and whatnot. That'd stink. Hopefully it'll be Light/Medium/Heavy or something.

i think there is a big misunderstanding what i meant.

i know everyone will be able to carry any weapon and everyone will be able to leaner every profession and i know that there will be disciplines,which aren't nothing else than sub classes for your bas class.

i am talking about combat skills  that are bound to your profession rather than your archetype and discipline.

i am talking about combat skills  that are bound to your profession rather than your archetype and discipline.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think what you're suggesting is combat abilities tied to crafting skills. IE: at 100% Blacksmithing, you get 'strike the anvil', a single target melee stun, or something.

There probably aren't actually going to be professions, as such, so talking about it in terms of 'professions' is a little confusing.

You don't pick 'blacksmithing' from a list, and then you're a blacksmith. (And can't be anything else.) You can train up a blacksmithing skill, much in the way you can train a Bow skill.

(afaik)

Edited by Hi!

I think i like it

I also like what Kalsomir said

Yes, we kind of figured that out when you clicked the like button...  :P

I've sort of assumed that we're going to have a set of abilities, and our skills will be, for the most part, modifying stats of those abilities.  Like how you can train your basic Gunnery skills in Eve, but then you can train up the support skills like Controlled Bursts, Trajectory Analysis, Surgical Strike, etc.

New combat skills for crafters feels a bit iffy to me, I'd thought going crafting was supposed to reduce your combat effectiveness, not improve it?  (Assuming skill suggestions are improvements/addons and not replacements for more powerful stuff)

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

I think what you're suggesting is combat abilities tied to crafting skills. IE: at 100% Blacksmithing, you get 'strike the anvil', a single target melee stun, or something.

There probably aren't actually going to be professions, as such, so talking about it in terms of 'professions' is a little confusing.

You don't pick 'blacksmithing' from a list, and then you're a blacksmith. (And can't be anything else.) You can train up a blacksmithing skill, much in the way you can train a Bow skill.

(afaik)

ye probably should have phrased it another way,that isn't instantly associated with WoW mechanics

I'd hate to say it but often times blacksmiths make EXCELLENT footsoldiers. They can usually tell at a glance the weak point in armor, can make field repairs on the fly that don't suck, and frankly crafting with metal is a thing that hones and tones your body into one strong and lasting machine. I know 3 people who dabble in blacksmithing and all 3 of them are strong as an ox and can bloody outlast most anyone in terms of raw stamina due to the long hours spent pounding metal at the same tempo (speed your tempo up suddenly you cause cracks and slow it down and you take longer as the metal is cooling too much). On top of ALL of that, they learn serious patience which in hand to hand fighting is extremely important, the impatient fighter nigh always loses due to opening themselves up in their frustraition.

So....certain crafting skills SHOULD grant benefits to combat IMO.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

I'd hate to say it but often times blacksmiths make EXCELLENT footsoldiers. They can usually tell at a glance the weak point in armor, can make field repairs on the fly that don't suck, and frankly crafting with metal is a thing that hones and tones your body into one strong and lasting machine. I know 3 people who dabble in blacksmithing and all 3 of them are strong as an ox and can bloody outlast most anyone in terms of raw stamina due to the long hours spent pounding metal at the same tempo (speed your tempo up suddenly you cause cracks and slow it down and you take longer as the metal is cooling too much). On top of ALL of that, they learn serious patience which in hand to hand fighting is extremely important, the impatient fighter nigh always loses due to opening themselves up in their frustraition.

So....certain crafting skills SHOULD grant benefits to combat IMO.

ye thats exactly what i meant,not just active skills but an impact on your stats overall and/or passive skills that strengthen your character.