Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vicid

Hunger

Since the release of the character creation screenshot there's been a little speculation about the Hunger Resistance that the character apparently had.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/641-011315-character-creation-preview/ 

What do you guys want to see out of this mechanic?  Does it mean Crowfall will be a 'survival MMO'?

Does it mean a part of city sieges could include starving people out?  Or possibly doing economic damage to their lands?  (Burning crops etc)

How important should food be?  I think it should be rather important - another reason to PvP - but from my experience in other Survival games food becomes less and less important as you play.

Anyway I'm sure others want to discuss it - Hunger Thread.

12Oe7ot.png

Well, it's something new at least - and it seems like it would be a fairly important part of the game.

There might be a fine line between making this interesting and a grind though. The last thing I want to do is come home from work, log on Crowfall and spend the next hour grinding wild boar to get enough meat to feed myself.

It very much depends upon how it's implemented, but as I said - it's something that hasn't really been seen in the mainstream MMO genre before, and that's enough to spark my interest.

Since the release of the character creation screenshot there's been a little speculation about the Hunger Resistance that the character apparently had.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/641-011315-character-creation-preview/ 

What do you guys want to see out of this mechanic?  Does it mean Crowfall will be a 'survival MMO'?

Does it mean a part of city sieges could include starving people out?  Or possibly doing economic damage to their lands?  (Burning crops etc)

How important should food be?  I think it should be rather important - another reason to PvP - but from my experience in other Survival games food becomes less and less important as you play.

Anyway I'm sure others want to discuss it - Hunger Thread.

Does it mean Crowfall will be a 'survival MMO'?  That would be cool.

Does it mean a part of city sieges could include starving people out?  That would be even better.

Or possibly doing economic damage to their lands?  (Burning crops etc)  I could become really evil in this game, if so.

There might be a fine line between making this interesting and a grind though. The last thing I want to do is come home from work, log on Crowfall and spend the next hour grinding wild boar to get enough meat to feed myself.

I hear you - my biggest gripe with Darkfall was all the grindy stuff I needed to do just to get ready for a fight.

Lose a horse?  Dig in this bush for an hour.  No fun.

If food is produced passively by a player controlled building - that could be interesting.

Edited by vicid

12Oe7ot.png

WTB 'Intestinal Fortitude' stat.

All joking aside I love it, it will add so much more strategy to the game. Crops and livestock will have to be grown (Or purchased at the very least), transported, I wonder if it spoils? They can be burnt, poisoned (maybe?), intercepted, blockaded.... Oh the amount of fun I'm going to have...

Edited by fawne

I love the idea. I've played some survival PvP in the form of a Hunger Games mod for Minecraft: you have about two minutes of immunity to gather resources and build whatever you want before everyone starts killing each other. Being prepared in that game is the difference between glowing success and utter failure: it's perfectly viable to have iron equipment and a fort by the time people find you. Food in particular keeps you healthy: you regen health as long as your hunger bar is full.

Managing resources like that would add a lot of dimension to gameplay, as long as it isn't tedious. It's not in Hunger Games: you kill some cows or mine some iron, shove everything into a furnace, and defend it until the timer dings. Then you suddenly have good equipment and a way to regen health. If someone else manages to kill you anyway, they get your stuff. In my experience it works really well. Matches usually only take about 10~15 minutes.

Indeed hunger games is very exciting - but give a minecraft player an hour to sort his base out and food is never a problem again.

I guess I'm saying I want food to be important without food being a boring grind... well good luck ArtCraft! 

12Oe7ot.png

Does it mean Crowfall will be a 'survival MMO'?  That would be cool.

Does it mean a part of city sieges could include starving people out?  That would be even better.

Or possibly doing economic damage to their lands?  (Burning crops etc)  I could become really evil in this game, if so.

I'm going to be very good friends with this person here...   >=]

I would love an MMO with survivability aspects.  Even more so if it can be used to your advantage.

Edited by rhone

Indeed hunger games is very exciting - but give a minecraft player an hour to sort his base out and food is never a problem again.

I guess I'm saying I want food to be important without food being a boring grind... well good luck ArtCraft! 

It's not as big of a deal when everyone starts from ground zero after each round, but I see your point. I actually think the cooking process is the important part there: you have to do it to keep from getting food poisoning, but it ties you to a specific location and basically makes you a sitting duck. Perhaps food could be plentiful, but you have to cook it over a campfire in the field: everyone's going to see it and know you're there. Eventually, everyone's going to need to cook to keep from starving to death, which would give weaker characters a chance to take out stronger ones.

To prevent people from walking around with mad stacks of food, one of two things could be done.

1. Inventory space is actually limited to a reasonable amount. No more stacks of 100 meat pies.

2. Food spoils fairly quickly. So you pretty much have to cook it and then eat it in maybe an hour? Some short amount of time.

Edited by txteclipse

Can't wait to see what it really means and how important it is.

Maybe it could have to do a lot with logistics, as in a massive army of players will need to be supplied with provisions as they move across the land?

In any case it will probably add more to the economy which is a good thing!

I really do hope it's tied to besieging a city, and cutting off supply lines.  Perhaps the players of the besieged city that is cut off begin to have negative effects depending on their "hunger resistance" unless the siege is broken, or a supply line is restored.

OH MANS, THE RTS ELEMENT POSSIBILITIES!

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I like where this thread is going, In a game of hot and cold, you are definitely warm.

Well, good job, Vicid. Looks like you're onto something here.

I'm probably over-hopeful for this mechanic, but I had been putting a lot of thought into it prior to finding out it would be an actual mechanic. A few thoughts:

In my reading on the forums here, many players seemed to be okay with large groups, but to be bothered by zergs. They seemed to be bothered when numbers won fights more easily than strategy, coordination.

Many of the suggested counters to this type of behavior were simply mechanics that required coordination - friendly fire, etc. To that end, I had the thought that the primary problem in gathering a large army is always the logistics. A standing army is a huge resource sink, a tax on a kingdom, unless it is actively engaged in conquest and taking resources out of enemy hands.

So I had a glimmer of hope that part of the anti-zerg mechanism might be the necessity of a good supply network. For small parties, it should be enough to hunt for food, maybe the occasional raid. For massive kingdoms, I hope it requires large tracts of land and a network of NPC's to function. I hope that the transport of the food requires items to move from point a to point b in game.

I think such a system would add value in several ways:

1. The requirement of structure and organization for large forces - anti-zerg component.
  2. Large land requirements should create points of conflict for growing communities in close proximity.
  3. Sparsely populated farmland would be an interesting honey-pot for small forces looking to raid, or large forces seeking to stress an enemy economy. Should add an interesting patrol element to land ownership.
  4. Shipments of goods should create plenty of opportunity for bandits and guards, mercenary activity, etc.
  5. The act of sieging should be a risk for both the attacker and defender. The attacker should run the risk of crippling their own economy by over-extending their reach and not bringing home the spoils of victory.

I'm sure there's more, that's just some of the things bouncing around in my skull recently. The hardest part about making such a system work, I think, would be trying to keep the tedium minimal. I'd think it should be primarily handled be NPCs for exactly that reason, and that player involvement would mainly be for attacking/defending those resources.

Edit: I also hope this system would be robust enough to allow determined forces to thrive entirely by taking food from others.

"We do not sow."

Edited by nick

1. The requirement of structure and organization for large forces - anti-zerg component

I actually used rations (food) as an example of probable ways to counter zergs, and I sincerely hope this is one.

In addition, I love the idea of having farms to fight over, and if I can steal nothing else, I'll rob you of all your bumpkins. 

I hear you - my biggest gripe with Darkfall was all the grindy stuff I needed to do just to get ready for a fight.

Lose a horse?  Dig in this bush for an hour.  No fun.

If food is produced passively by a player controlled building - that could be interesting.

It needs to be interactive, but ideally not boring (through a minigame of some kind). I don't want to have passive AFK gains. That takes away from the game for me. I am the input of the game, not my computer or the server. This needs to be more than just an arena game with loose RPG elements you just set to generate while you're AFK. That'd be horrible. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

an UO example regarding food:

not everything needs to be seperated form each other:

You need leather for armor? hey look, you got meat from killing that deer/bull/cow.

You're fishing for those MiBs? hey look you got a ****ton of fishsteaks.

if you you combine stuff, it wont feel grindy and it will just come naturally.

Hell maybe when we get farms and we grow herbs for potions and stuff, we get by-products that we can use for cooking.

As long as everything has value and there's not 1 type of food that's flatout the best and everyone will be going for it, then it will be fine.

Edited by freeze