Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kroanus

No hand holding!

Most games out there today do way to much hand holding, especially MMOs. Teach us how to play the game, teach us the basics of crafting and fighting, but that's it. Let us discover the best ways to craft, and the best materials to use as well.

Let there be secrets in the game we need to figure out or stumble upon.

Let's take crafting for example. I saw a brief guide about materials and things like that, but why don't you have secret crafting materials you can create. For instance, say on a particular campaign, there is a secret forge that when you smelt iron, it turns it into a stronger brand of iron or gives it special properties, but only by exploring can you learn that, and in turn that becomes a resource that people fight over making it kind of an unofficial side objective. 

On the combat side, perhaps by fighting and killing a random dragon, you gain access to a special skill or something like that. Like you learned how to fight better from fighting a special enemy. 

Basically I just think it would be awesome to discover a multitude of secrets in the game that lead to fun rewards for the extra exploration. 

VkYi2VD.gif

You cant stop us from experiencing the purest for of love!

also there will be a lot of secrets because the rules are ALWAYS changing the battlefield is ALWAYS changing so you cant just look up say "handholding mountain" and find out which "love ores" can be found where.

Nothing stays secret from Google, as such your 'secret forge' will be quickly turn "darn it, I have to make a trip to that hole again to craft?!"

With the randomized worlds in play it'd stay hidden, even from people who found it on previous worlds.

With the randomized worlds in play it'd stay hidden, even from people who found it on previous worlds.

It'd take one fan site to publish a FAQ per campaign with such information.  Sinji said it best, with Google, it really wouldn't stay hidden.  Everyone would go into a campaign knowing there was a "special forge" or something somewhere that needed to be had, and it'd only be a matter of time.

Given the length of campaigns, even if they changed every 3 or so months, the information would still be necessarily relevant enough that it would not stay as hidden as you'd expect.

[@--(o.O)@]

I think I know your favorite part of the crow, Kroanus.

idgi

i think an in game guide about everything would be pretty useful tbh but i figure even if there isn't one someone will probably make an addon like that tomtom thing in wow

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

At the beginning, sure, things would need to be discovered.  Eventually, the patterns would be discerned and put up somewhere.  There's no such thing as true randomization, there's always a pattern and people will find it.

Oh, you have this valley that's procedurally generated with a river winding through it?  That means that at the top of the mountain to the west "x" will be there.  The mystique and mystery will only last so long.  People much smarter than I will put in the time and effort to figure it out and they'll post it.

Humans love a challenge and finding the pattern will certainly be a challenge. 

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau