Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Lastgirl

Anyone play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the Nintendo 3DS?

Just got it yesterday, been local playing with my brother. I'm hooked. Reminded me a lot of Phantasy Star Online, except the AI is way more advanced.

I play as an Insect Glaive and Bow Hunter. Anyone want to team up and take down some big custard monsters? Just spent 20 minutes solo fighting a Kecha Wacha in 3 different areas. It was a struggle, but once I wore him out, went to town.

Just passing the time until Crowfall...

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

When I'm away from my PC I still crave multiplayer games with persistent characters and games like this are amazing. I dont have a 3ds I play my vita. Games like freedom wars,toukiden and sword art online.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on MH4. If the customization and gameplay is deep id like to run out and buy the new 3ds and the game.

That's my last question,do you have the new 3ds with the C stick and improved processor? Or the older model 3ds?

I'm pretty hooked on it. Personally, I think it's the best game I've played in a loooong time. You can customize your hunter. MH4U has more customization than MH3U did, and is a step up with 2 new weapons. Weapons basically make you a class, they all play differently, and there's 14 of them. The newest ones are the Charge Blade and Insect Glaive.

So if you're asking if you can make a character, yea you can. Can choose from like 25 sets of hair, color sliders, eye color. I play as a female blind hunter (no pupils) so I find it amusing I can use the bow and Insect Glaive. Like Zatoichi, the Blind Swordsman~ Can name your hunter and pick voice too. Customization can be done further in game by slaying monsters for hide, claws, and bones etc for better armor. It's not super crazy customization like City of Heroes, but it has enough to make you look unique. I'm pretty OCD about my customization and I think it's sufficient and effective. Everything in this game is just that.

Game's pretty straightforward in that you pick quests and go hunt monsters or gather items, depending on the quest and its ranks. It's questing done right. Essentially quests are like  missions with a time limit.  Some of the "boring" but necessary gather quests sometimes can attract the large dangerous monsters, so it's always a factor of unpredictability.

A lot of the time, you have to gather off the land and combine items, kind of like simple crafting ingredients to make health and stamina potions among other things like traps and  bombs. Basically you prepare as you tango with the wild. You don't really want to fight the big ones without health and stamina recoveries...

The combat varies from weapon to weapon, but using a bow to nail things from afar is very satisfying. I mainly use an Insect Glaive, which is an an odd weapon. I can pole vault with it and slam down on the ground with it, can twirl it around and evade with it. It shoots a insect pheromone that I can launch a Kinsect (insect pet) to drain buffs from monsters and buff me up to go harder and faster.

A lot of the melee weapons are combos but they can be stringed up or use evasion, side steps. Usually 1-3, or 4 combo strings but they never feel repetitive for some reason, it's kind of like a dance. It's really reminiscence of Phantasy Star Online except more fluid. It's something you get used to, but it's not twitchy at all. Positioning is probably the most important thing in MH4U. Like, super important lol. Big monsters aren't to be trifled with, not even a Great Jaggi...

For example, the Insect Glaive is basically a spear, so I can Press Up + X to do a thrust, then if I press Down + A just after that, (or just X,X, then Down+A for example of combo stringing) I do a retreating vertical spinning attack that lands me some retreating distance. (I've dodged some really big nasty swipes timing it just right.) I can do a spinning lunge that's slow but very powerful and is a gap closer. I can press B to side roll as an evasion. An Insect Glaive tutorial for example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqOFUMKaAE

(I'm nowhere near his skill level yet, but I'm getting better. It's the innate progression that I love about the game, not some artificial level cap to determine your  skill.)

When you get hit, you stagger or get knocked down, so your combos get interrupted pretty hard, so evasion and positioning is important if you don't want to die. Can't be careless with any monster either. Some melee weapons have like giant shields so you can just block and shrug that off, with the cost of stamina. All of them are different and feel different too, so you basically have 14 playstyles to pick from. Some of them will involve a lot of patience to get really good at as you upgrade the weapon. Most are probably difficult to start with at first, but no doubt satisfying to master. Once you know your weapon, and how to use tactics and positioning, the game really opens up. You start feeling like a weapon master and monster slayer, so they got that aspect down right.

I feel pretty badass with the insect glaive  enough since I fought a pretty difficult monster that chimped out a lot and was incredibly fast. I was down to my last potion in that fight, I had stocked 3 med kits, 10 potions and 10 mega potions, had a sharpening tool to keep my glaive's attack up, a paint ball which is a tracking device. The fight lasted 20 minutes nonstop, and I ran out of everything, at some points I almost died too, so I had to do  tactical retreats, jump over terrains, run through areas as the giant monkey/flying squirrel/elephant monster swooped down on me for the kill. In one area, I was fighting him on a very narrow natural bridge, and he just smashed it apart and the bridge broke. I was just like "whoa..." Landed hard on the ground, I started making a run for it because he was in an enraged state. The fight lasted so long that he became exhausted, his attacks started being slow and it was an opening for me to start dishing everything I had out. So flurries of swipes, a pole vault jump and slam into the ground and I killed it. It was exhilarating. It's literally the "thrill of the hunt." That was like the 4th big monster I fought, and it was only rank 3. I haven't done rank 4s, and 5s yet but I have no doubt those ones are going to be even more difficult to kill. They also retreat and try to heal too or rest up so they don't get exhausted so tracking them is very important. They're really well done in terms of AI tbh. There are also smaller monsters to contend with, like Jaggis which are pretty much velociraptors, every fight with them will be somewhat different but they'll exhibit similar patterns of attack but it's all about the positioning to make it count. Even at times when you're tracking or fighting a big monster, the small ones will try to pick at you. It makes it even more dangerous at times.

When you do online play, you can team up to a total of 4 hunters max. I've only teamed up with my brothers, but the monsters become harder to kill because their health pool goes up as well, the more players there are. And as hunters, you have to be mindful of the environment and weapons you use. One time I used a bow, and my brother had jumped on the monster, and he was going to town on it with a carving knife as it was bucking around. I accidentally shot him off with the bow. Even if you use melee weapons, you have to be patient and wait for for your openings, otherwise you can risk knocking your friends down and put them in danger sometimes. Can't just run around smacking and shooting things mindlessly.

I've been using the older 3DS so I don't think the improved C-Stick is a factor at all. I can position and evade just fine and move around. The controls and flow take some getting used to but once you're there, it's all great. A lot of animation locks so you have to make pretty much EVERYTHING count. Took too much damage? Gotta take some distance, put your weapon away, and wait for them to miss then you can heal without being harassed, which takes a bit of time. That sort of thing. Overextended with a combo too much, get smacked around.

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I really need to dust off my 3DS for something, this might be it, I don't know.

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

• 1 month later...

if you ever want to team up let me know. I am Caravan rank 8 and hunter rank 51.... I have to kill a ukanlos without an experience in the fight.

I main Dual Swords and Bow. I sometimes use a hammer and probably going to make some long swords( I mained them back in MHF2)

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln