Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thyr

Ingame sounds - yay or nay?

So I was playing GW2 yesterday and noticed that only in GW2 I did not mute all the sounds. So I got back to ArcheAge, Aion, Tera and TSW just to find myself completely muted. Why? Because the squeaky character sounds and the overall sound effects really ruin the fun. That and the fact I do enjoy good teamspeak conversations over the sound of some digital warfare but well. 

I do really hope the character voices get some "depth" and match the overall setting. I mean I don't have anything against female chars with a high voice. Just not Asian like high (no offense here). 

But what about you? Do you mute your sounds also or do you play with every sound on max? 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I mute the music.

Sounds give way too much information to just mute them.

This was engrained into me from the very beginning of my online gaming life :)

Being able to tell where your opponent is just from sound was/is vital in 1on1 fps games like quake/painkiller/etc

I would have to say sounds are important :)

also, ACE sound guy/girl will be very sad if you mute his/her sounds.

also also, all the science experts from the combat thread will be happy that since there is air in the world we can we have sound!

Edited by oberon

Sound is usually separated into music, ambient, effects and voices.

I'd say effects as a feedback system to the player are extremely important. Hearing when your attacks connect, knowing when you're hit etc provides vital information. Music and ambient sound is less important, but I'd say for a decent game not something you can do without since it drastically helps setting the tone of the environment.

Voices are the debatable issue here, although I personally would definitively would like to hear my character roar, groan or laugh. It helps adding character to the already very characteristic archetypes.

Edited by Kalsomir

I mute music in PvP games, there's no need to add any distractions.

Sound on the other hand is pretty useful if done right. Especially footstep sounds that change according to the terrain are much useful in games like counter strike or anything PvP focused. Though I must say that some games have terrible sounds.. I had to mute TERA because each fu*king step my female characters had an orgasm.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

... I had to mute TERA because each fu*king step my female characters had an orgasm.

And here I thought nothing anyone could say would make me want to play that game...  o.O'

I like ambient sounds, if they're done right.  Little things like an occasional rustle of wind through grass, insects, etc, but not if they're a constant backdrop.  Music is very much dependant on how much I like it, and that's very subjective - and very dependant on how much of the same bloody track I hear on loop.  Sound effects are fairly important for me, feedback on what's going on in the game and all that.  Voices...  Well, voice acting very much makes or breaks that.  If the voice is expressive, or just plain sexy (THAT DUDE WHO DOES SMAUG SHOULD VOICE EVERYTHING) then I'm more likely to listen to it.

Most of the time a voice just takes too long to say something though, especially in a combat environment.  I prefer text unless it's a cut scene, which I'm not really expecting to see in Crowfall anytime this side of the Hunger.

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

For the most part I am one to never mute the in-game sounds and music as it helps me focus a bit more. If I am watching a movie on my other monitor and just grinding in an MMO I will turn it down though!

Playing in a group, particularly when I'm on a voip and needing to listen to a leader the music & ambient sound get turned way down, but crafting and solo stuff I love having music.

I'll never forget waaaaaayyyy back in the earylish days of WoW they 'upgraded' and added a bunch of sound, but it was kinda crappy sound effects. Our group had to stop because we were laughing so had after the tank said "Oh my god! when I run I sound like a sack of beer cans!" The arrow fire was really bad too, sounded like a rubber band twanging.

please make the sound effects better than beer cans & rubber bands kthanxbye

Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.

personally i hope they give you lots more of voice options like ff14 so we can pick one that fits our character best, but honestly i turn my game sound way down so I can hear mumble or whatever so it's not like vital or anything

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Sounds are immersive, but I normally turn the music down and put on my own soundtrack based on the mood. I used to arena with Bach on pipe organ playing, it helped me concentrate. On bigger fights like the ones we will likely have in Crowfall I like my metal and rock, sometimes a movie soundtrack like LOTR.

The game needs to have it's own sounds, but if it's over the top it gets annoying. Like the casting sounds on Aion, jeez I just wanted to murder a kitten if I let them on with more than one caster in the team. Every time you cast a heal "Cahopree!"  blah! I don't want ACE to spend too much money or time on sounds though, just make sure the skills sound cool and impactful, helps with the feel of combat a lot.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

I often find myself muting sounds in MMOs lately as they really don't give me any information all the different colored numbers on my screen don't already give me. If sound were actually put into the game where it gave relevant feedback I would absolutely love to keep it on like I do in FPS games. 

If I have sound then cannot hear wife when she is call me, so get very mad. I am enjoy sex more than game so there is no sound for me.

This. Lol. Wtf.

Usually my game sounds are competing with music im playing over voice chat. It just turns into a cluster of madness. Footsteps 100%, character voices 0%.. Deafening unbalanced skill sounds 1000%.

nap8S2r.pnghttp://youtube.com/multimegawatts subscribe for Crowfall videos!

I say Yay to ingame sounds, I say Nay to live mic chats. Leave that to team speak/skype. I don't want to be in an EK and just hear hundreds of players with crappy mics yelling at one another. As for in game sound effects, I don't see why we shouldn't have them...I mean Nelson Everhart makes great music and ambient sounds shouldn't be an issue. As long as they keep sword slashing and shield bashing to a minimum in large sieges, it should be fine for my eardrums to deal with.

I too like to mute the sound and just listen to myself heavy-breathe while playing MMO's, OP.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

If I have sound then cannot hear wife when she is call me, so get very mad. I am enjoy sex more than game so there is no sound for me.

Hahahaha read this with a russian accent, sounds way more funny.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder