Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Belaz

The food mechanic

Yeah I didn't even think of it as a way to help manage the zerg.  It will also put a pretty huge strain on alliances if we have food and you don't and we can't afford to share, but you think we have plenty to go around.  Backstab! 

It also could lead to a need for skilled hunters to keep the supply up as the seasons get tougher, but so will the prey.  There could possibly be a farming/harvesting discipline for those easy spring and summer months?  Maybe a discipline to prepare food to make it last longer?  

Curing meat to jerky, ngl, that sounds awesome. And makes me hungry.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Me too, I even read your name as "seventhBACON" :)

Pretty much the vast majority of people I've interacted with with this username have said the same thing. I'm totally okay with that. Bacon is awesome.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Pretty much the vast majority of people I've interacted with with this username have said the same thing. I'm totally okay with that. Bacon is awesome.

Only makes me wonder what they think the 6 other bacon's are.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Only makes me wonder what they think the 6 other bacon's are.

All I know is, Canadian Bacon isn't bacon, it's ham.

All I know is, Canadian Bacon isn't bacon, it's ham.

Turkey bacon aren't bacon either.

I only know of two kinds of bacon.

Danish Bacon and the non danish bacon

Edited by Cirolle

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

As long as hunger isn't some easy to ignore stat like it is on Age of Wushu, I think that would a be a great step in the right direction.

and your also forgetting about the warmth stat. Get cold enough and you should start to freeze to death like you would starve.

I think playing as a drifting merc. might be fun, but at the same time you'd also be looking for ways to double cross. After all why have only a slice of ham when you can take the entire damn thing and eat it to.

Yeah, a mechanic of "Don't eat and you die" is pretty stupid. I assume it will be debuffs, maybe a reduced health pool, reduced regen on stamina or even a smaller stamina pool etc. I also don't belive it should be a daily thing that degrades your character even if you don't log on. It should be proportional to the time you spend online. So when you come online get a debuff that stacks, you start getting hungry. You have to eat something every 5 hours or gameplay or something like that, otherwise you gain a stack of the debuff and begin getting weak. This way if you are offline you don't have to consume food, but the more you play the more you consume, which is fair. The stacks don't reset when you logoff, so if I play 3 hours today then tomorrow after 2h or gameplay I'll have to eat or get a stack of the debuff.

In winter maybe the time is reduced to 4-3 hours, so you have to eat more the more you play. People could avoid eating by not logging in, but that is stupid, if you don't play people will take your territory that is undefended.

I disagree. This would only serve to extremely incentivize people to run multiple accounts to sidestep the upkeep disadvantages of more hungry classes. Got one account? Upkeeping that centaur is a real concern for you.

Got two accounts? Upkeeping the centaur is trivial, since you do all your gathering and random ganking on a guinecian and only log in the centaur for big fights.

It should absolutely calculate in real time, and be a capless stacking debuff. You wouldn't need to eat nearly as often, running multiple accounts would have an upkeep costs to scale with the extra utility, and you could simply top off by binge eating (and prepare for this) if you had to take a week off.

Couple this with mechanics that allow generating food in real time and keeping an army fed becomes a mechanic with weight rather than a throwaway system everyone ignores. Keeping those peasant thralls running the farm, and defending the city that holds that farm becomes vital not just to the win, but to survival.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I disagree. This would only serve to extremely incentivize people to run multiple accounts to sidestep the upkeep disadvantages of more hungry classes. Got one account? Upkeeping that centaur is a real concern for you.

Got two accounts? Upkeeping the centaur is trivial, since you do all your gathering and random ganking on a guinecian and only log in the centaur for big fights.

It should absolutely calculate in real time, and be a capless stacking debuff. You wouldn't need to eat nearly as often, running multiple accounts would have an upkeep costs to scale with the extra utility, and you could simply top off by binge eating (and prepare for this) if you had to take a week off.

Couple this with mechanics that allow generating food in real time and keeping an army fed becomes a mechanic with weight rather than a throwaway system everyone ignores. Keeping those peasant thralls running the farm, and defending the city that holds that farm becomes vital not just to the win, but to survival.

I see your point and it has merit, likely better than my suggestions, thanks for pointing it out.

We will have to wait and  see how this works. I do agree with you that if it is something that doesn't count when you are offline it could be abused by people with more than one accounts, I had not thought of it that way. I agree it has to be a mechanic that is substantial rather than something people just ignore, specially during Fall and Winter. We will see.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

This also goes with the idea that food and a painful starving penalty can go along ways in slowing down those huge zerg guilds that everyone is worried about.  You basically can't have dead weight on your roster, those chars who just log in for city defenses or attacks.  You need multipurpose chars willing to farm or hunt if it is required.  

With this food mechanic each campaign sort of has that RTS game feel to it as well.  We all start in a new world and we quickly become explorers, hunters, farmers, and builders.  We stake our claims in the world and try and make it home as best we can as we deal with our neighbors and establish borders.  Then as the campaign moves on we migrate to scouts, raiders, harvesters, and defenders.  We pursue the victory conditions and try to crush all who oppose us.  Then when the food runs out we all become savages and try and get as much stuff in our export banks as possible before it becomes too late.  Then we discuss what happened over a few pints and try and come up with a better build strategy for the next campaign. 

Worry for food is not as fun as game makes sound. Year and year of life I worry of food. Is no satisfaction in having, only relief of not having none. Even now I have, is spend so much of day eating food, or cooking or shopping or deciding on what is for dinner. Why sit down for game and have same problem? Why remind of unwanted life what is meant as escape from?

Also even if all problem to get food still there in game, most problem is CANNOT TASTE FOOD IN GAME. Could rename food to rock and would be no difference. Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Worry for food is not as fun as game makes sound. Year and year of life I worry of food. Is no satisfaction in having, only relief of not having none. Even now I have, is spend so much of day eating food, or cooking or shopping or deciding on what is for dinner. Why sit down for game and have same problem? Why remind of unwanted life what is meant as escape from?

Also even if all problem to get food still there in game, most problem is CANNOT TASTE FOOD IN GAME. Could rename food to rock and would be no difference. Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

This is pure gold man, thanks hahaha. I can't stop laughing.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Could rename food to rock and would be no difference. Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Where's the dwarf guy when we need him.

Edited by hilkmkz

With only poison in my veins!

cm5oDMm.png

The mechanic itself can be something automated, so that you just have to worry about how much you have and how much you are using on a daily basis.  As for worrying about how you can get more, it's simple just go smash someone and take theirs!

Yeah, I dunno exactly how to do it perfectly, but it's REALLY annoying when food's just tossed in as a thing. It's either just something that you have to do (eat, that is) to avoid pure frustration, or it's just a buff in item form. "Oh, you're not a support buffer? Just eat all this food! 8D! +10 to health regen, +10 to damage, +10 to mana regen, +10 to armor, +10 to attack speed!". Then you just stack actual buffs on there, and it becomes even more ridiculous.

So, I think the best approach to food is to make it something that intuitively affects what's going on, and allows for strategic decisions. Maybe you basically have a "fullness" meter, and how full that is affects your stamina regen, and/or how much stamina your abilities use. Even at "starving" level, it wouldn't be so bad that you just couldn't do anything. But you probably wouldn't want to go to a siege on an empty stomach.

I dunno, there would have to be more to it than that, I suppose. But, the act of eating food is obviously not something that would be fun to simulate. Actually eating the food, or timing your food eating in a twitchy manner... those don't affect much at all, and would just be a nuisance. And JUST "the less often I eat food, the more penalties I have" seems to simple, too, however the pros and cons of being full/starving are handled. So, I'm not really sure how to do it really well.

As Belaz said above, a very good idea is to make food consumption automated, so that you basically just put food into an "ammo" slot for your character, and he just eats when he needs to. I think food would have to have its own, unique benefits, though, to make it worth-while. As I said, when it's just existing buffs, but in item form, it becomes kinda silly.

"What's that, Steve?"

"A potion of regen."

"Oh, I've got a buff spell called Regen."

"Yeah, but that's a spell, not a potion, u_u."

"Well what about this Cheese Pie? This Cheese Pie gives me regen if I eat it."

"Yeah, but that's not a potion, or a buff. It's food, u_u. GYAH, totally different things!"

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I love mechanics that force you to plan ahead. and knowing that if you can survive Centaurs-heavy groups til late game, they might get starved out of usefulness since they're more susceptible to it.

There might be a food gathering/crafting chain and it may not be glamorous, but it'll save armies.

This is why I want finite ammo!!

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty