Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
huckleburied

Sick day suggestions

Never seen or heard of The Last Dragon....

Weird 80's kung-fu movie.  It used to come on TBS all the time when I was a kid, so bad it's good kinda thing.

From Dusk til Dawn is pretty weird.

I watched that with her shortly after her last birthday in the context of "Hey, you know those Spy Kids movies you used to love, well this is by the same guy."  That reaction was great.

Maker her watch the Crowfall introduction video

This game is not her type, sadly.  She's more of a Walking Dead and Sims kinda girl.

I've never seen Scarface or most of the Rocky films.  People ridicule me for it often.

Rocky IV is the greatest Cold War propaganda movie of my lifetime.

Steven seagall marathon. Engage.

I want to open her mind, not crush it.

So far:

1. Big Trouble in Little China - Liked it a lot, but has no idea what she watched.
  2. Escape from New York - Her words were "Meh."
  3. The Thing - She liked it for the gross parts, but it didn't move fast enough for her.  "Diabetes" jokes were a hit, though.
  4. Fifth Element - She got to pick that one.  She believes that Ruby Rod is the best character in the history of film...
  5. Hellboy - Her pick again.  In progress.

Er, what's "edging"?

They call me bruce
they-call-me-bruce-.jpg
Army of Darkness

ArmyofDarkness_onesheet-1-500x737.jpg

dazed and confused

Alien

psycho

Dirty Dancing

clockwork orange (if she can halfway understand it)

any classic now banned for PC reasons

and a old Hollywood Fred Astaire. (every girl loves to be swirled around a dance floor)+plus you can show em what talent looks like and the women are always treated with class

Edited by hillbilly

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I can't believe I didn't suggest the Last Dragon or Ferris Bueller's day off. Both are top choices.

If she's old enough to watch a war movie, I'd recommend Sgt. York, or Go For Broke! Both are excellent lessons on being a part of something bigger than yourself, courage, duty, and sacrifice. Both are also TV friendly, so you don't have to worry overmuch about Saving Private Ryan type violence.

CF_Van.png

A 15 year old girl would probably love The Labyrinth.

It was a go-to from age 6-10.  10-12 she still liked it, but started feeling too "old."  Now the only way she'll watch it is if it's my son's turn to pick a movie for a night, then she gently nudges him in that direction.

I enjoyed the Hellboy movies.

She liked it.

They call me bruce

they-call-me-bruce-.jpg

Army of Darkness

ArmyofDarkness_onesheet-1-500x737.jpg

dazed and confused

Alien

psycho

Dirty Dancing

clockwork orange (if she can halfway understand it)

any classic now banned for PC reasons

and a old Hollywood Fred Astaire. (every girl loves to be swirled around a dance floor)+plus you can show em what talent looks like and the women are always treated with class

I have Clockwork on Blu Ray, I have told her she is more than welcome to watch it now, but I will not be watching it with her.  Haven't seen They Call Me Bruce, I'll have to add it to the list.  Alien and Psycho are getting added to the To Do list.  We've done Army of Darkness, tree assault still has me on the fence for Evil Dead 2 though. 

Er, what's "edging"?

I can't believe I didn't suggest the Last Dragon or Ferris Bueller's day off. Both are top choices.

If she's old enough to watch a war movie, I'd recommend Sgt. York, or Go For Broke! Both are excellent lessons on being a part of something bigger than yourself, courage, duty, and sacrifice. Both are also TV friendly, so you don't have to worry overmuch about Saving Private Ryan type violence.

Those are harder sells, I'll have to wait for the next time she's bedridden so she has no energy to argue.  Well, argue less at any rate.

Er, what's "edging"?

In a related idea, the husband & I have been dragging our children to the tv on Friday nights to watch stuff we enjoyed "back in the day". Ours are a little younger so the really violent or very sexy stuff is off the list.

So far we have subjected them to:

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Breakfast Club

Clash of the Titans (80's version)

The Neverending Story

Krull

Start Trek (original cast movies 1 & 2)

Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Comedy with Jim Carrey. What to do, if the Miami Dolphins lost their Dolphin? Call Ace Ventura. Wierd humor nonstop. I loved it.

The Score

Heist Movie with Marlon Brando, Robert de Niro, Edward Norton. Professional Thief want to retire and make his last job. But there are some Problems. Well made.

The Maiden Heist

Heist  Movie with Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken, William Macey. Three old museum guards try to rescue their beloved works of art. Funny movie idea.

Mr. Incredible

Superhero Animation Comedy. Former Superhero Dad wants to relive his hero days. Doesnt really work, so his Family has to bale him out of the trouble. Nice family Message within (imho).