Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Rare Champion

Belaz

Judging by how slow these forums are and how crappy the Champion has fared in all the "What archetype will you play" polls.  I feel like there are going to be very few of us around. 

I am actually starting to like this idea more and more.  It gives your enemy that, oh crap they have a cave player feeling when they see a Champion.  It also gives the Champion some advantage in combat.  Things like when you face enough enemies you start to learn what they can do and how they do it.  If there simply are not many Champions around then other players will have no idea what Champions can do until it is too late.  

The drawbacks are that typically lower populated classes tend to get fixes slower than other highly populated classes.  New things are not created for low populated classes or they are last on the to do list.

Personally I like being a bit more unique in a world where very very little is unique.  

Edit:

I see they auto change Tr-oll to player, that's comical. 

Edited by Belaz

No go ahead and hate the player, then we will have less of them making it even more special.  I want people to know specifically who AXED them the question of "Can I have your gear"? 

Edited by Belaz

that was a joke......cuz tr-ll becomes player ^^;

who knows tho? champion might become super popular @ launch cuz we don't know lots about classes yet, and who knows now theyll will be balanced in practice?

it'd suck to suddenly be sol on the whole feelin unique front wouldn't it??? .-.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Yeah it would, but I have a feeling that Champion will stay in the lower half of the popularity meters even when we learn about skills. 

The worst part is that killing druids and rangers and rat things all day won't give me more AXES!

Edited by Belaz

Based on the info we have now, champion will tend to lag simply because players who want to play melee DPS will prefer the greater speed of the legionnaire, or the greater resilience of a Myrmidon built for DPS.

With that said, Aiona's right that we have no idea how the meta will evolve throughout alpha and beta. We could all be surprised and find that champions are powerful, popular, and necessary.

It's not the most likely outcome, but we'll see what happens.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Yeah the skills that the Champion has access to will make or break it for the most part.  People will choose it no matter what if they simply have to have a big Axe or whatever their promotion weapons are.  It is behind the curve already, so it is going to take some super sweet sounding skills to get people to come join the big boy team. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it will be a problem.

The champion will be popular enough when push comes to shove, because ppl like giant big hulk figure duders.

They're just not the most interesting to think about before the game starts.

I am not so sure people will like big hulking guys when they come with big hulking hit boxes.  Most hardcore PvPers that I know tend to gravitate to the littlest guy they can find for the advantage of being harder to notice in big fights, being harder to click on by enemies, and being able to hide behind other characters.  The hiding behind part won't work here with friendly fire, but being harder to hit may still draw them in.  

I just have this feeling that the two other "big" guys (Legionnaire and Minotaur) are going to steal the show.  

What does the Champion need to get him some appeal when we get to see his progression archetypes? 

If the combat role of melee DPS is anti-artillery skirmishers, they will definitely need some mobility to get to the enemy back line quickly. We know Legionnaires will have built-in pony speed; Champs are going to need some kind of combat mobility powers to achieve the same thing. Leaps, sprints, "get over here" grappling hooks, etc.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Turns out Legs are actually a melee support class (think paladins with auras to help their front line buddies), so the Champ is the only pure melee DPS archetype. That should help a lot with the role overlap concern.

Tully

• 2 weeks later...

I am just hoping that one of the promotion classes has some sort of giant hammer or knockdown skill shot.  Nothing says welcome to the battle like getting planted by a huge weapon wielding maniac. 

Absolutely.

I am hoping for a lancer upgrade where he gets a boost to melee range, possibly a ranged spear throw, stuff like that. I always have a weak spot for lancer/spearman. 

The spear looks like it might be a Templar promoted to Fury thing, but who knows they may go cross classes with some weapons.  Like you, I would like to see an axe/javelin/spear throwing specialization that can still use the big 2h in melee range.   Finite ammo could suck though...

Edited by Belaz

I think finite ammo for any class could be easily put in since there isn't a lot of healing involved. however most MMO's just use mana instead. I really want to play a champion, and I hope they make a promotion that allows for a hybrid range/melee. That is my 100% most favorite way to play and if I had to say goodbye to Champions in order to do that, it might break my heart :(

We know that knights will have a bow oriented promotion. It's not a big stretch to think of champs getting one too- maybe something along the lines of an axe chucker. (Hurlbats anyone?)

Edited by Jihan

Tully