Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Smelting

So I was wondering if maybe there was a chance that based on your smelting skill you would be able to generate much better iron and steel ingots. Like how Viking Uthbert Steel was much better than regular steel due to it's lack of carbon impurities.

It would be pretty epic if we were able to have kingdoms with crafters that made such high quality steel that people would treat them how, again to reference Uthbert steel, Uthbert blacksmiths were.

"Oh I'm sooooo gonna enjoy playing them Centaurs"

Any crafter can attempt to make any item. However, a low-skill crafter attempting to make a high-quality item will have a very high chance of failure and item loss.

This applies to crafting intermediates just like it does to finished goods. So if your Day 1 new smelter is trying to make an ingot of Rose Gold, he'll have a chance at the roll, but not nearly as good a chance as the 4-campaign vet working next to him at the same forge.

One ingot of Rose Gold will be identical to another ingot of Rose Gold.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Wasn't that a thing already?

I think I remember the economy FAQ talking about quality levels on crafting materials and produced equipment.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

I myself would be turned off if I put lots of time and resources in a craft just to be equaled by a newb. Time spent should be rewarded.

If you're making newb stuff then it's OK for newbs to make it too; a crap starter sword is a crap starter sword. If you're making top tier stuff then you'll be able to reliably craft at a level where newbs won't be able to make it without a lot of failures and component loss.

With that said, there's no "put resources into a craft". It's passive training just like the combat skills.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully