Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Coin of the realm - Official discussion thread

I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. I loved the idea of the barter system, and I've seen it work in games before. I know you say it's not fun, J Todd, but it was probably the most fun I have had trading...it made trading more interactive in and of itself. I never spent more time engage in economics or felt more rewarded than finding those perfect barter deals or interacting with a large amount of people, seeing what they had, and maybe finding something interesting yourself you hadn't seen before in the process.

I also feel like this takes a decent chunk away from the EK's. If the point is to have hundreds and hundreds and each have their own unique vendors and player driven economies, this basically stamps a lot of the emergent gameplay out by introducing common currency (which we have seen in basically every MMO). Feels like a cop out, and [at worse, but not suspected] hopefully not a path to leading to ACE monetizing in game currency on top of VIP tickets.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

i like this idea of currency.... but i am not sure about putting it in as inventory space, maybe to have its own space or something because its going eat up our bag room for other materials, weapons, armor and ect. But if its does turn out to be in inventory space and enemies put it in their pack pigs, does that mean we can kill the pig or steal the pig and rob off other players for currency? I am very interested on how this is going to play out =)

I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. I loved the idea of the barter system, and I've seen it work in games before. I know you say it's not fun, J Todd, but it was probably the most fun I have had trading...it made trading more interactive in and of itself. I never spent more time engage in economics or felt more rewarded than finding those perfect barter deals or interacting with a large amount of people, seeing what they had, and maybe finding something interesting yourself you hadn't seen before in the process.

I also feel like this takes a decent chunk away from the EK's. If the point is to have hundreds and hundreds and each have their own unique vendors and player driven economies, this basically stamps a lot of the emergent gameplay out by introducing common currency (which we have seen in basically every MMO). Feels like a cop out, and [at worse, but not suspected] hopefully not a path to leading to ACE monetizing in game currency on top of VIP tickets.

I know but every mmo game has this barter system and i just like how we can just trade raw materials and items instead of just giving them currency to pay off. i think its more unique economy system. I rather trade a shield that i have found during the campaign and trade it for a sword i can use instead of farming up currency to pay for things. It reminds me the good old days of diablo 2 =D

I like the idea of crafting coins from materials.  Personally, I wouldn't make it too lossy to melt coins down.  Otherwise they might end up less valuable than the ore they are made from, and I don't see the benefit of that.

I prefer to see coins as "small ingots of ore" that are convenient for trade.  In effect, you are still bartering with them, they are just very convenient barter items.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

It would make sense to me that coin acquired during a campaign would have to be embargoed and exported subject to the campaign export rules just like any other resource. It wouldn't be usable for EK purchases until it reached your account bank.

Two of the characteristics that make a commodity (such as gold) viable as money are that it most have inherent value so that there's demand for the material independent of its demand as currency, but, it must be available in quantities that exceed the native demand so that there's a sufficient surplus to use as currency. So, it's important and necessary that there be coin drains in the economy, but you'll need to make sure that the available supply of precious ores and other faucets exceeds the drain rate by a wide enough margin that we actually have enough coin circulating in the economy.

That's not an impossible task but it may prove to be harder than you're imagining to properly scale faucet and drain rates- good luck!

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Does each coin have a weight? Will we be able to stack an infinite amount of coins in one slot?

These coins are still inventory items, but they are easier to stack and carry (i.e. more efficient use of inventory space than transporting ore itself).

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png