Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Coin of the realm - Official discussion thread

Will there be banks?

I can easily see some players establishing banks in their EK so folks can secure large sums, and this makes perfect sense in an EK that does not allow PvP.  Bank robbing could still be an interesting role to attempt.

ACE, I like this system.  It still allows us players to establish the value of our goods.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

Having coins made from crafting raw materials does not eliminate the need for marketeers.  Bartering and coins are not mutually exclusive.  Hardly the lowest common denominator, more like real world transactions.  When is the last time you were allowed to give the gas station attendant 4 chickens for a tank of fuel?

Coins also brings the trading more inside the game.  Without some kind of standard, people either have to rely on third party (and not usually official) sites to try and determine worth of an item which either make transactions take way too long, or discourages a use part of the population from actively participating in trade.

Now you can have a vendor going does coin transactions while offline AND you can participate in live bartering if you chose to do so.

You're right about it looking like real world transactions, which is what this will lead to since ACE has set it as the standard to buy parcels and buildings from their store. Not only does this open up an opportunity for ACE to further monitize ontop of buying the game and buying VIP, but it also forces players out of the barter system in order to pay for taxes/parcels/builds in the predetermined ACE Currency.

You don't have to go offsite to determine the value of your items. YOUR items are the way YOU value them. That's why it's called a barter system. If you're sick of jumping EK to EK looking for the perfect deal, you might just settle for a lower one, or a different one. It doesn't discourage the population from doing it, it causes player to INVENT a player-driver economy. You're going to have to trade in order to have the equipment you want for the EKs. Let the players set the rules for the economy, not ACE.

If you've never played a game with a barter system you wouldn't understand how well it works.

I'm glad we are having coins, I was fearful a barter based system would end up looking like the stock market trading floor, hundreds or more players gathered together, each trying to out shout (text) the other promoting their barter items with what they were looking for in trade. It would take for ever to get the different items you want/need to build or craft what you want. I see coins being much easier method, all you need to do is sell your items to get the coins to buy what you want. You can still barter if you want, but you can now also just sell and buy what you want also.

This is actually a great reason for keeping the barter system. It makes you rely on your guild or a middle man instead of solo-rolling the economy. The more player-driven jobs in a game, the better for everyone. Just because it sounds difficult to you, does not mean players won't step up to the plate and make it manageable after the economy is figured out. Thankfully we have alpha and beta stages for people to collaborate on a system before official launch.

So many people are worried about not talking to players face to face... well that's when someone's standing over your corpse and stealing you stuff while he spams random derogatory comments lol

2edgy4us, bruh.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

But you are still free to accept whatever amount of coins you want for an item.  You are not selling to an NPC vendor with set prices.  Every thrall will be different.  And now, every player will have buying power with a standard coin type rather than having to spend an eternity swapping bartered goods until you get the right one eventually ending up with the item you actual wanted.

This.

A concept I think some get confused by is that, making a system less unwieldy, less clunky and less soul crushing, is not the same as making it "easy" or "dumbed down". Making systems function better should never be seen as bad thing outright.

And to that, I was saying they might as well make a centralized market, like an auction house, since there will not be any kind of distance between the EKS.

Even without "travel times" between EKs it would still take more time to visit a bunch of EKs than to go to one central market.

IhhQKY6.gif

I can easily see some players establishing banks in their EK so folks can secure large sums, and this makes perfect sense in an EK that does not allow PvP.  Bank robbing could still be an interesting role to attempt.

ACE, I like this system.  It still allows us players to establish the value of our goods.

Why not just use their account bank?

As others have pointed out the obvious other flaw is coin linkage to the store. What prevents me from just tying up all of my coins into houses/parcels and just trading them off as I need them? With everything being linked to coins, and me being able to trade VIP for the most prevalent currency now (coins)...it makes my risk in the campaigns very minimal.

Loot my coinz? fine. I'll just purchase VIP and go to one of the tens of thousands of vendors, because everyone will accept coins and recoup my losses. It's too easy.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Even without "travel times" between EKs it would still take more time to visit a bunch of EKs than to go to one central market.

Sigh.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I agree with this and it will definitely affect a truly "player driven" economy but I am still debating whether or not this is a bad thing. Yes, the devs will have a lot of extra work monitoring a system like this, but in the end it might be for the best, since without any control at all things could get out of hand and fast.

Things can get out of hand either way, but the consequences are very different. In a free-floating market, if there's a sudden oversupply of stone then some players will get richer and others poorer but the system continues work work once stone prices normalize. In an inflexible market, if there's a sudden oversupply of stone and the price of stone is hard linked to coin and the price of coin is hard linked to cash, then every market for every commodity and currency type is disrupted and cannot fix itself without manual dev intervention.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Random thought and point of interest:

If coins are an inventory item, they will be subject to import rules in a campaign. It's possible there will be no currancy at the start of a campaign.

Depending on the world/ campaign rules and scarcity we may see the same products selling ing for different rates depending on campaign. If gold is readily available in one campaign vs copper in another campaign (within the same band) does this put some people at an advantage vs others?

We are talking about a resource which can be used to get things for your personal housing...

Right now, we are talking about it as if it is going to effect the whole game. And maybe it will.

Can anyone here tell me how they think it will effect the campaigns please?

(Not saying it won't, I am really interested in opinions and thoughts)

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

As others have pointed out the obvious other flaw is coin linkage to the store. What prevents me from just tying up all of my coins into houses/parcels and just trading them off as I need them? With everything being linked to coins, and me being able to trade VIP for the most prevalent currency now (coins)...it makes my risk in the campaigns very minimal.

Loot my coinz? fine. I'll just purchase VIP and go to one of the tens of thousands of vendors, because everyone will accept coins and recoup my losses. It's too easy.

Will the Campaign let you import the VIP ticket?

Can anyone here tell me how they think it will effect the campaigns please?

(Not saying it won't, I am really interested in opinions and thoughts)

If coin is highly valued in EKs then people will prioritize coin exports, meaning there will be less coin available and more of other things available within the campaign. So things that could be crafted with precious ores, e.g. Rose Gold armor, will be rarer and more expensive than they would be otherwise, while things that are crafted with no precious metals will be more readily available.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The stability of coins though is why bartering systems failed and in games without coins people establish a trade medium.

This statement is not based on observable, historical fact. Voluntary currencies co-existed with free barter for a very long time. The death of barter economies occurred when broke and debt-laden governments realized that they could ensure their liquidity by mandating a unitary, fiat currency, the supply of which was dictated by them. Fiat currency exists, and free barter does not, for exactly one reason: government power-lust.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Will the Campaign let you import the VIP ticket?

It's a tradeable item and I have not seen otherwise. Which means it's lootable too. If I can buy VIP tickets from the ACE store, and have it placed in my character's inventory inside the campaign, then we have a serious problem.

If coin is highly valued in EKs then people will prioritize coin exports, meaning there will be less coin available and more of other things available within the campaign. So things that could be crafted with precious ores, e.g. Rose Gold armor, will be rarer and more expensive than they would be otherwise, while things that are crafted with no precious metals will be more readily available.

I don't agree, since not everyone is interested in the EKS.

If we can buy VIP tickets for currency, then I will agree.

Can we?

It'd make sense to only be able to redeem viptix from your account bank, rather than directly from character inventory. Assuming that's the case, anyone who brings viptix into a campaign is an idiot, since you'd have to successfully embargo and export it to get it back out.

Tully