Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Coin of the realm - Official discussion thread

I don't agree, since not everyone is interested in the EKS.

Not everyone is, but it's safe to assume that some people are. Market changes don't require unanimity.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

As others have pointed out the obvious other flaw is coin linkage to the store. What prevents me from just tying up all of my coins into houses/parcels and just trading them off as I need them? With everything being linked to coins, and me being able to trade VIP for the most prevalent currency now (coins)...it makes my risk in the campaigns very minimal.

Loot my coinz? fine. I'll just purchase VIP and go to one of the tens of thousands of vendors, because everyone will accept coins and recoup my losses. It's too easy.

Coins are (should be) items that will need to be put in embargo as they are actual inventory items.  Your win/loss ruleset will be how much you get to take back.  Coins in campaigns may not be available for use on EK items.  You are not going to have a global bank for your entire account.  Your campaigning characters will be separate.

Edited by thestarsareright

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

Not everyone is, but it's safe to assume that some people are. Market changes don't require unanimity.

But, it would be different from campaign to campaign right?

And a guild interested in winning and exporting would have to make some choices right?

If the things being created with gold (as an example) would be items that where better, then it could be a hard choice.

If it is worthless items, then it doesn't matter.

The people with little stake in EKS on the other hand, would not only have targets to rob at the embargo, they would also have access to better equipment.

And, once again, the people that embargo a lot in a campaign, will be at a disadvantage to people who doesn't, generally speaking.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I don't agree, since not everyone is interested in the EKS.

If we can buy VIP tickets for currency, then I will agree.

Can we?

Sort of.  My understanding is that I can buy a VIP pass for RW cash, then I sell it to you for in-game currency.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

It's a tradeable item and I have not seen otherwise. Which means it's lootable too. If I can buy VIP tickets from the ACE store, and have it placed in my character's inventory inside the campaign, then we have a serious problem.

You pretty much answered your own question if you simply follow the logic. Its an item, tradeable, lootable, droppable etc. All items are subject to Import restrictions. So how does it make sense an item would be able to bypass that rule and go straight to your character inventory. Come on man, can be upset about a system you don't like but doesn't mean we can just throw out logic and use made up scenarios to make our points on how we think the system is so bad.

Sort of. My understanding is that I can buy a VIP pass for RW cash, then I sell it to you for in-game currency.

But we could do this before, using stones or whatever, right?

No one was up in arms about everyone wanting to export all the things, all the time, yesterday

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

But, it would be different from campaign to campaign right?

And a guild interested in winning and exporting would have to make some choices right?

If the things being created with gold (as an example) would be items that where better, then it could be a hard choice.

If it is worthless items, then it doesn't matter.

The people with little stake in EKS on the other hand, would not only have targets to rob at the embargo, they would also have access to better equipment.

And, once again, the people that embargo a lot in a campaign, will be at a disadvantage to people who doesn't, generally speaking.

Definitely a good point.  You will have to decide at what point you are geared well enough before embargoing.  I foresee N00B mistake #1 being people jamming everything they can into embargos finding themselves on the wrong end of an ass-kicking competition because they have no gear for the fight!

We are talking about a resource which can be used to get things for your personal housing...

Right now, we are talking about it as if it is going to effect the whole game. And maybe it will.

Can anyone here tell me how they think it will effect the campaigns please?

(Not saying it won't, I am really interested in opinions and thoughts)

Only real impact (initially) to campaigns is coins being converted back to bars and those bars being used to create gear.  Coins are going to have to be just another thing covered by import rulesets.

Hello All,

I have just recently found this game concept and it sounds interesting.  I have not read through all of these posts but it does seem there are some that prefer a barter system and others that prefer a currency based system.  I can see both sides to this discussion.

In pretty much every MMO I have played there has been some form of currency.  They all say they have sinks for the currency but inflation still occurs.  In order to have a currency system that rivals other MMOs on the market and actually has value there needs to be significant sinks that are scalable and balanced with player (kingdom) progression.  You also need to have a limit or a scarcity to the currency.  In order for the currency system to really work comes down to the above balancing techniques.  It is also very important that shop items aren't a way for players to purchase items or kingdom expansions with real money to sell for in game coins.  This sets an artificial valuation of currency that everything else can be scaled to eventually.  This prevents players from establishing the true value of currency.

On the other hand...

I think the barter system provides a potential avenue for players to create content in the Kingdoms.  Every Kingdom or Player will be working to accomplish different crafting objectives or even mounting up for the next campaign their Kingdom and / or Guild will be involved in.

So what I could potentially invision is Kingdom's having Towncriers, Bartenders, Merchant Guilds etc...  Players could then set their NPC vendor with the terms of what they are looking to buy or sell and what they are looking for etc..  This information could be added and passed on to folks for favors (perhaps NPC based quests or X amount of Ale for the Bartender).  The bartender would pass on this information to travelers (say NPCs) in which information could be passed on to neighboring Kingdoms.  You could also bypass the RP element and have boards with information.

Now I would not want to see that Player A is looking to buy 500 Stone for 750 Wood in Kingdom A.  I would like to see a role play element in the wording "I have heard that Player A is seeking to acquire a moderate amount of stone in exchange for a moderate amount of wood in Kingdom A".  So Player B asks the Bartender if s/he knows of anyone looking for Wood.  The bartender replies for X amount of barley I will provide you with some information they have recently obtained.  They would then present potential vendors looking to exchange wood for X etc..

This would in a sense allow players to create in a sense their own missions and give them a direction in where they "might" find a good deal for their excess wood.

Economies are all about supply and demand.  Exchange rates for goods and their value are determined based on supply and demand.  It is possible to have a barter system with an RP element in this genre if it is executed right.  It could also be possible to pair it with a currency system but for the currency system to be successful there needs to be a limit in the currency available or extensive balanced currency sinks.

Just my two cents.

Definitely a good point.  You will have to decide at what point you are geared well enough before embargoing.  I foresee N00B mistake #1 being people jamming everything they can into embargos finding themselves on the wrong end of an bottom-kicking competition because they have no gear for the fight!

Part of the reason I backed this game. The whole Risk/Reward concept. Do you risk losing gear trying to embargo when you can get railed and looted on your way to the Embargo vault or do you just stand pat and hope you win and claim the victory rewards.

But we could do this before, using stones or whatever, right?

No one was up in arms about everyone wanting to export all the things, all the time, yesterday

I am not one of those up in arms about it.  Personally I much prefer the devs getting the cash for their IP than some gold-seller.  I just want to see that any item in the store cannot be broken down to other usable components creating a P2W scenario.  I can buy a house for cash.  I sell the house in game to you for coin or whatever.  Now you have a house for trade or your EK and nothing else.  It cannot be salvaged.

You pretty much answered your own question if you simply follow the logic. Its an item, tradeable, lootable, droppable etc. All items are subject to Import restrictions. So how does it make sense an item would be able to bypass that rule and go straight to your character inventory. Come on man, can be upset about a system you don't like but doesn't mean we can just throw out logic and use made up scenarios to make our points on how we think the system is so bad.

None of my scenarios are made up, and the logic is what ACE has given us. I'm pretty rehearsed in every bit of information ACE has put out. I challenge you to find a false scenario that's not inline with the FAQ, a news post, or a video by ACE that I have used as an example. All you're doing right now is circlejerking the fact I have no evidence, when you're not presenting any yourself.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Part of the reason I backed this game. The whole Risk/Reward concept. Do you risk losing gear trying to embargo when you can get railed and looted on your way to the Embargo vault or do you just stand pat and hope you win and claim the victory rewards.

Hopefully it is a smart choice of feeding the warmachine first.  I think the tricky part is reserves, i.e. finding out how fast you are going to burn through your gear in normal sessions.  MMO inventory management has a whole new (really old world) meaning.

Personally I think the person who is effective with standard-to-slightly-higher-quality gear will do much better then those that think they need to min/max.  If the system is set up like it sounds, we are going to go through a lot of gear.  Skills (both character sheet and player) is really what is going to be the big factor.  However, I look forward to making and selling the high end items to those players that think they need the edge.

None of my scenarios are made up, and the logic is what ACE has given us. I'm pretty rehearsed in every bit of information ACE has put out. I challenge you to find a false scenario that's not inline with the FAQ, a news post, or a video by ACE that I have used as an example. All you're doing right now is circlejerking the fact I have no evidence, when you're not presenting any yourself.

I did in the post you just quoted...

You brought up a scenario in which a player buys a VIP token and it gets placed in their character inventory.

If you follow the facts and logic, it dictates that a VIP token is an item just like any other that is subject to Import restrictions. Thus we can surmise that said scenario is not possible. Because you would have had to bring it in at the beginning and not be able to have it while you already started in the Campaign.

Edited by pang

I did in the post you just quoted...

You brought up a scenario in which a player buys a VIP token and it gets placed in their character inventory.

If you follow the facts and logic, it dictates that a VIP token is an item just like any other that is subject to Import restrictions. Thus we can surmise that said scenario is not possible.

I know you're ESL, but "If" was placed at the beginning of that sentence.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I know you're ESL, but "If" was placed at the beginning of that sentence.

No English is not my second language, nice veiled jab though.

Point stands you brought up a situation that if you would have used the facts and logic like you said you do, then you'd know that it wouldn't be possible.

The NPC vendors are definitely the root of the problem. Unless you consider face-to-face trading unimportant.

I actually played SWG which had an insanely robust player vendor system and I loved the vendors.

The main point you see to have is that vendors take away the face to face trade factor and yes, they can do that. But for some folks that's actually a better experience.   Everyone has different trigger points about what they really want in the game and I get that you want face to face social interactions for trading.  But I'm not sure that everyone wants or need the same thing.  I know that as a crafter I want my wares available whether I'm ingame or not and vendors make that possible.

I remember loading up my vendor with regular crafted items and then items that folks could buy that would let them purchase something custom built.  The items would be something small and vendor trashy and named "Custom Built Land Speeder" and the like.  Folks would buy them and then we'd get in touch and I'd build the speeder to their specs.  I also remember going from planet to planet searching for specific items that I wanted to buy and it was pretty fun actually.  There was a combination of the AH listings, listings on various crafting boards, and word of mouth ingame that let us find what we needed to buy and yes, sometimes it took time.  I am aware there's no AH in CF so crafters are going to have to develop advertising skills as well.

What I'm not so happy about is the coins.  I was pretty excited about the barter system and the idea of having a vendor that sold 3 items but allowed a wide range of payment items to be used.  You want a castle wall?  Sure - it's 10 chickens or 4 pieces of ore or 10 bits of stone etc.  I loved the idea of advertising sales on the boards and having a network of crafters trading goods.  I'm not sure that by creating coin we'll still be able to have vendors that will take things in trade rather than vendors that can only take coin.

I've had a number of discussions with other crafty folks and there has been a lot of excitement about minting coins ingame that were player based/backed and player driven.  This new one size fits all coin seems like such a step down from that.

I know that the game is still in flux in a lot of key areas and I want the dev team to err on the side of what's best for the game rather than treating anything said before as if it's in stone. So I accept the coin decision but I don't like it much.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I actually played SWG which had an insanely robust player vendor system and I loved the vendors.

The main point you see to have is that vendors take away the face to face trade factor and yes, they can do that. But for some folks that's actually a better experience.   Everyone has different trigger points about what they really want in the game and I get that you want face to face social interactions for trading.  But I'm not sure that everyone wants or need the same thing.  I know that as a crafter I want my wares available whether I'm ingame or not and vendors make that possible.

I remember loading up my vendor with regular crafted items and then items that folks could buy that would let them purchase something custom built.  The items would be something small and vendor trashy and named "Custom Built Land Speeder" and the like.  Folks would buy them and then we'd get in touch and I'd build the speeder to their specs.  I also remember going from planet to planet searching for specific items that I wanted to buy and it was pretty fun actually.  There was a combination of the AH listings, listings on various crafting boards, and word of mouth ingame that let us find what we needed to buy and yes, sometimes it took time.  I am aware there's no AH in CF so crafters are going to have to develop advertising skills as well.

What I'm not so happy about is the coins.  I was pretty excited about the barter system and the idea of having a vendor that sold 3 items but allowed a wide range of payment items to be used.  You want a castle wall?  Sure - it's 10 chickens or 4 pieces of ore or 10 bits of stone etc.  I loved the idea of advertising sales on the boards and having a network of crafters trading goods.  I'm not sure that by creating coin we'll still be able to have vendors that will take things in trade rather than vendors that can only take coin.

I've had a number of discussions with other crafty folks and there has been a lot of excitement about minting coins ingame that were player based/backed and player driven.  This new one size fits all coin seems like such a step down from that.

I know that the game is still in flux in a lot of key areas and I want the dev team to err on the side of what's best for the game rather than treating anything said before as if it's in stone. So I accept the coin decision but I don't like it much.

what i remember best about swg is that bug that let you put vendors in your inventory lol

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

The upshot to npc vendoring like thralls is to sell your wares with availability while you're offline or busy in a campaign. It's Auction Houses that's a different experience altogether.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg