Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Coin of the realm - Official discussion thread

Hopefully it is not merely a portion.  I want to be able to loot all the coins a person is carrying.

I think this would depend on the loot rules of the campaign you're in. Since they're an inventory item. So if you want to loot all the coins, pick that ruleset. :D

Quite the opposite, it would allow ACE to tailor the resources acquired in new campaigns to drive the market the way they want it driven. This system revolves around temporary campaigns ACE sets the rules for. Without coins you are also having to create alliances with those who have a monopoly on a specific resource in campaign that your guild doesn't have. More politics.

Having currency changes nothing about needing to create alliances with those who have monopolies on a resource. If players need those resources/or want those resources for whatever reason, they still need to create alliances, or make deals, or go to war or find a way to get them. Those resources need to provide a benefit or be valuable in some sense and a currency does absolutely nothing to alter that fact.

This is something I view as EXTREMELY important as they consider the full implementation of this coin system and their cash shop.

1. Coins should be able to buy cash shop items that have nearly NO value to campaigns.

• The reason for this is because the hardcore PvP/campaigners will value certain things such as building resources, gear resources, siege resources differently than EK/Crafters/Traders

2.  Coins should NOT be able to pay VIP.

• This may be confrontational to your current plan, but by using coins as your currency for paying VIP, you are establishing the value of coins to ALL players.  This IMO would take away from your overall goal of player driven game.

Sounds good but I guess will there be a bank of somewhere you can store your coins like bank or EK? I mean if you have a lot of ore or coins saved up and you get looted I assume you wouldn't lose everything? If there are boundaries set up then this form of currency sounds fun, just have to be more specific on full looting outcomes and what you can lose while in the campaigns.

Sounds good but I guess will there be a bank of somewhere you can store your coins like bank or EK? I mean if you have a lot of ore or coins saved up and you get looted I assume you wouldn't lose everything? If there are boundaries set up then this form of currency sounds fun, just have to be more specific on full looting outcomes and what you can lose while in the campaigns.

We have account banks yes. Also assuming will have storage boxes can place in our houses in EK.

I like the idea of crafting coins from materials.  Personally, I wouldn't make it too lossy to melt coins down.  Otherwise they might end up less valuable than the ore they are made from, and I don't see the benefit of that.

I prefer to see coins as "small ingots of ore" that are convenient for trade.  In effect, you are still bartering with them, they are just very convenient barter items.

So by that logic systems such as "dollar value to gold weight" comes into play?  So we might end up seeing banks set up with loans and guilds "stashing" gold for the purpose of establishing value margins?

At least with this system currency will depreciate in value a lot slower than it does in other video games, to make a real world comparison, but that would ultimately depend on the amount of valuable ores become available to players over the lifetime of the game combined with whoever has possession of the majority of the wealth respectively.  At least with a hardcore gameplay system where you can lose items and things eventually brake after prolonged use we will see steady value averages based around availability and demand with the possibility of new players getting rich fast.  Instead of what we see in other games where the 1% get to play for free *cough* WoW *cough* because everyone who has played consistently for 10 years is so rich they hold exclusive rights over rare things and their new pay gold for game time system.

My only real concern for this is eroding the importance of EKs in the form of trading specializations which force players to go to someone's EK to trade their lama for that man's awesome shields because the other person breeds awesome lama mounts while the other person makes awesome shields.  Depending on how player interactions go, we might end up with a trade hub system like in EVE with a coin currency system.  Least it isn't like in EVE where you can "farm coin" with Rats and Missions and suffers from the same problems as Bitcoin. :P

For economic comparison, it's been determined that ISK in EVE when valued against PLEX ($20); To the 1.00 ISK Depreciates by ~16% per year.  In 2010 PLEX was worth ~500 000 000 ISK  Now it is worth ~900 000 000 ISK.  The entire economy is built around PLEX now, where before it was built around sov and what was considered value per time it took to collect resources relative to the ISK made from Ratting+Missions in that time period.

Edited by Psyctooth

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

2.  Coins should NOT be able to pay VIP.

• This may be confrontational to your current plan, but by using coins as your currency for paying VIP, you are establishing the value of coins to ALL players.  This IMO would take away from your overall goal of player driven game.

If they use the Eve PLEX model (not WoW's), then there is no issue. A player purchases a VIP ticket for $15. That player receives an in-game item called "VIP Ticket". That player can then trade the item to other players for whatever they want: stone, chickens, or coins. 

We have account banks yes. Also assuming will have storage boxes can place in our houses in EK.

Silly me.

I was going straight to thinking about storage in the campaigns (since that is the only place you can be looted).

And then... how can one loot a storage in the campaigns.

Maybe I should play something that does that kind of thing...

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

There is no points against the barter system except for it being easier. The tradeoff being moderately harder, but brings a lot more player-driven mechanics in the barter system.

Looting in the campaigns will mostly come down to coins and whatever is better than you've currently equipped.

Barter system would of also made it harder for RMT sellers to horde a certain currency and compete with the VIP exchange rate.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I don't understand how trading coins is any different that trading the ore directly.  Minting coins seems to be an unnecessary step.

If the coins will be taking up inventory space anyway, why bother?

If 1 Ore ingot = 10 Coins do they take up the same amount of inventory space?

At the same time is 1 Ore ingot which can still be used to craft weapons, armor, etc, going to now be valued more highly than crafted coins?  So ingots sell for lets say 15 coins.  

I don't understand why we have this "middle man" conversion now.

If you wanted a place to add sinks in game you could have simply stated that X gold ingots = a land parcel.  You've just assigned a value to the ingot as a form of currency.  Not sure why the minted coins is needed.  

Just initial thoughts.

~Calamity

I don't understand how trading coins is any different that trading the ore directly.  Minting coins seems to be an unnecessary step.

If the coins will be taking up inventory space anyway, why bother?

If 1 Ore ingot = 10 Coins do they take up the same amount of inventory space?

At the same time is 1 Ore ingot which can still be used to craft weapons, armor, etc, going to now be valued more highly than crafted coins?  So ingots sell for lets say 15 coins.  

I don't understand why we have this "middle man" conversion now.

If you wanted a place to add sinks in game you could have simply stated that X gold ingots = a land parcel.  You've just assigned a value to the ingot as a form of currency.  Not sure why the minted coins is needed.  

Just initial thoughts.

~Calamity

Because of storage space

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Because of storage space

Except that is only valuable to me if I can translate directly back into ore, i.e, 1 ingot = 10 coins = 1 ingot.

But if that's the case, then it doesn't make any logical sense that coins would be any easier to hold that ingots.

I was a little apprehensive of this at first because I am all for the barter system, but really this news doesn't change much. Without coins, the only difference would be EK parcels and buildings would be priced at something like 100 gold ore instead of 5 gold coins (or whatever the exchange rate is). So instead of using coins as the common currency, people would end up using ores instead. Really the only difference is convenience.

nYgae2w.png

Most of the purists have left for their own dreamworlds.

I expected to see certain pvp people having a conniption about any currency being on the creatures. But all clear so far :)

So long as it is reasonable I'm down with it. A Hungry zombie may still have a few coins in his rotting pockets, but that hellcat won't.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Most of the purists have left for their own dreamworlds.

So long as it is reasonable I'm down with it. A Hungry zombie may still have a few coins in his rotting pockets, but that hellcat won't.

What if that hellcat ate a zombie that had coins in his pocket?

nYgae2w.png

Because of storage space

but they've already said they will take up inventory space as well.  It's not like a regular MMO where you have this magic coin purse that can contain millions of coins and not effect your inventory.  

Except that is only valuable to me if I can translate directly back into ore, i.e, 1 ingot = 10 coins = 1 ingot.

But if that's the case, then it doesn't make any logical sense that coins would be any easier to hold that ingots.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be some loss that would occur.  

Edited by calamity

If they use the Eve PLEX model (not WoW's), then there is no issue. A player purchases a VIP ticket for $15. That player receives an in-game item called "VIP Ticket". That player can then trade the item to other players for whatever they want: stone, chickens, or coins. 

Better to keep the VIP ticket non-lootable and have no weight. Otherwise it loses value as soon as the code is redeemed (of course it must lose all value when used for a month of sub).

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I'm okay with this. It would be a bit unreal to have medieval level commerce without coins - even in fantasy. Kudos for not making coins as common loot for monsters. I hope you'll also avoid the pitfall of wolves dropping money.

Interesting. I would like to humbly suggest that monsters in the EKs do not under any circumstances drop coins, and I would also suggest that these ores do not exist in any capacity within the EKs. Allowing a way to generate currency in perfect safety in a game like this is a really bad idea.