Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gideon

Forumfall

So I know that most of us have fancy new horses we received from the Kickstarter campaign, why have we proceeded to beat them to death? I see so many new posts about old crap that it's starting to make browsing the forums a chore. I want to say bravo to all of the Super Vets/Hooded Crows who have taken time out of their day to respond to seemingly all of the threads despite the same questions being asked prompting variations of the same answer.

We need to be more mindful of the FAQ and the search feature in the top right corner of the site. I know that the Kickstarter excitement is gone, but there is no shame in waiting for real information before we revisit old topics. I don't know what EKs are going to be like, I don't know how aiming will work and dammit if I even care whether or not Lantern Watch makes an epic zerg and rolls over the game. Just stop asking for now and it will be revealed in time.

Basically, I'd rather see a forum with one or two dev threads or something thought out and new than seeing the same threads every day that could be answered by reading the FAQ.

Obligatory Link to FAQ

So, we should all be posting less meaningless noise, and instead contribute actual content, is what you're getting at?

I see a lot of the same threads pop up on a daily basis; you're right there.  I've probably started a few of them.  However, a lot of times when these discussions are beaten to death something new always seems to come out of each one.  This, in my opinion, makes them okay.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd much rather have people on the forums talking about stuff, even if it is repetitive, then no one talking at all.

[@--(o.O)@]

Unfortunately, people are lazy and the FAQ is quite extensive now.  So, new members are going to start duplicate threads.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Also, for what it's worth, I'd much rather have people on the forums talking about stuff, even if it is repetitive, then no one talking at all.

I agree with that for sure. I almost feel like my reasons for posting this were a little selfish at first. I get on and don't feel like posting because its all the stuff I've already seen and heard, I figured other people must feel the same. Still forums can be a bit rough, you see a topic that you want to talk about but you don't want to go through 16 pages to figure out if someone already said what you're thinking so you make a new thread. I can see both sides of the issue.

I agree with that for sure. I almost feel like my reasons for posting this were a little selfish at first. I get on and don't feel like posting because its all the stuff I've already seen and heard, I figured other people must feel the same. Still forums can be a bit rough, you see a topic that you want to talk about but you don't want to go through 16 pages to figure out if someone already said what you're thinking so you make a new thread. I can see both sides of the issue.

I think you just have to be willing to repeat yourself if you want to join in any discussion, and not be too shy about it. Within reason, of course. Every discussion humanity has ever had is bound to be repeat of something else.

Soon© we will be adding a forum section primarily for people who are new to the site/community. Those who don't care to see the same questions asked (and answered) repeatedly or that have no warm little fuzzy places in their cold, black hearts for newcomers may simply steer clear of it. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

fyi

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3136-attention-all-new-forum-members/?hl=faq%20section

I think the problem is not that people are lazy; it is just about what your time is worth vs how difficult something is to search.  You might search a topic but someone titled their thread that is similar to yours something silly, witty, or just plain different.  It took me 10 minutes to find a topic similar to yours.  Not something I would normally do and shouldn't have to.   I'd rather just see a new post on the topic as you did.  Don't be so hard on people.  If you do not want to get involved in a conversation please don't.

Edited by Eston

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

fyi

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3136-attention-all-new-forum-members/?hl=faq%20section

I think the problem is not that people are lazy; it is just about what your time is worth vs how difficult something is to search.  You might search a topic but someone titled their thread that is similar to yours something silly, witty, or just plain different.  It took me 10 minutes to find a topic similar to yours.  Not something I would normally do and shouldn't have to.   I'd rather just see a new post on the topic as you did.  Don't be so hard on people.  If you do not want to get involved in a conversation please don't.

You're right you shouldn't have to do that. I personally don't think that's too similar to mine because if people had heeded that post months ago I wouldn't have made this one. Good effort though if your intention was to make me look like a hypocrite.

I'm not being hard on anyone, this isn't something very hard to begin with. Once Alpha starts I am looking forward to all of the fresh, specific and new conversation we will have. Maybe it's like Pann said though, I just have no place in my cold, black heart for newcomers at this time.

Soon© we will be adding a forum section primarily for people who are new to the site/community. Those who don't care to see the same questions asked (and answered) repeatedly or that have no warm little fuzzy places in their cold, black hearts for newcomers may simply steer clear of it. 

We've already got the Suggestion Box though.

no warm little fuzzy places in their cold, black hearts for newcomers may simply steer clear of it.

Create a Forum Politics/ForumFall section for those of us with cold, black, degenerate hearts to have a place to squat in.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Then perhaps, if this is going to be a reality, Courant101 can be the mod assigned specifically there.  HE above anyone else has shown so much patience with n00b members.   Also, not meaning this meanly, honest, some new posters can get quite snarky right off the bat, especially if the don;t like an answer ( even if it IS the answer , those PvE enthustiasts :( )    and Courant has a way of handling that w/o offending.   Courant101 4 Newbie section Mod!

Edited by ellie

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

This is the internet. The snark is unavoidable. I see it with new people and with the "vets" with the 1000/2000+ post counts.

Oh, see? I just put quotation marks on "vets". I'm contributing to the snark. You can't escape it!!!!

I saw the same thing happen with "vets" on the Firefall forums. Please don't be those guys. Seriously.

We're too late. They're bored and ill-tempered and eating each other alive. Look at the top posters list and you see a bunch of rude people dominating the list.

Soon© we will be adding a forum section primarily for people who are new to the site/community. Those who don't care to see the same questions asked (and answered) repeatedly or that have no warm little fuzzy places in their cold, black hearts for newcomers may simply steer clear of it.

A newcomer section in which people under 100 posts can make new threads would be awesome. Bar them from posting new topics anywhere else!

And to Gideon, you're welcome!

We're too late. They're bored and ill-tempered and eating each other alive. Look at the top posters list and you see a bunch of rude people dominating the list.

Aren't you a bitter newbie... Edited by Adall

The newbie forum will be heavily moderated and anyone who can't behave there will be exiled without prejudice. Seriously, if helping new people isn't your thing and you can't interact in a thread without showing your snarkitude, it would behoove you to avoid that section at all costs. We ain't playin'. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Jesus I remember playing forumfall, although I only ever got to 1000 posts. Imagine if this game took 10+ years to release starting now. With updates from the devs every 3 or 4 years.