Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inventory- & Banksize

This has been bugging me for a while and as it's been mentioned in the recent news thread about coins, I thought I'd give it a go.

So all we know so far about the inventory system can be found in this picture:

S0A98Zp.jpg

What can we deduce:

- The inventory will be grid based like (sadly imo) most MMOs

- Different items occupy a different amount of slots

- We will have multiple bags

We have no idea how we get those bags, how many bags we can carry, whether we can put these bags within each other or anything else.

So, here are my 2 concerns. Both of those will mostly be prevalent in the inner rings, or more precise, in the campaigns that have a full loot ruleset.

Looting:

Will we have enough inventory space to dryloot people? Will we be able to loot more people?

Like I mentioned before, most MMOs, especially those that monetize the inventory space, would not allow that; not even close.

Will our inventory size be tied to a stat, like it was in Shadowbane? The higher your str, the more weight and thus items, you could carry. Will Centaurs for example be able to be used as carry mules by adding extra bags on their backs?

Will people eventually have loot-bots in the vicinity to evac their stuff, because inventory space is so limited?

The Kickstarter only mentions increased bankspace in their packages, so here's hoping that they only monetize the bank and not the inventory.

Which leads me to my 2nd concern:

Ready-bags:

This is something that was used in other Full-Loot MMOs, mostly UO & Darkfall. Both these games used a different banking system though. Readybags are bags that you prepare in to decrease the downtime between fights. You just grab a readybag and everything you need is in there: armor, weapons, regs, bandages, potions, arrows etc. If you sat at the bank during a defensive siege and searched for items instead of fighting, you got yelled at. It was part of the preparation each member had to do.

So we know we have additional bags according to the screenshot. But will those bags be big enough? How many of these bags can I store in my bank?

Do they plan on making me go shop after every death?

Do they think crafters should have to supply their troops mid-siege? (<-- imo totally utopian)

Will we need additional storage, aka houses, to have enough equipment for a siege?

Making readybags was already tedious. Noone liked doing that. Labeling those bags and so on, it all took a lot of time. And that was with a system in which you had complete freedom of how you arranged your bank. There was also no item limit, but a weight limit (Darkfall that is, UO had a 125 item limit per container iirc).

So my worry is, that what we will see might be even more annoying and cumbersome.

Thoughts? :)

Edited by freeze

I'm not against dry looting but I would prefer it if only the person who killed the opponent is able to loot the dead body and if he doesn't have enough spaces he can lend the bag space of a team mate or share the loot with team mates. You should also be able to see which bodies you can loot and which ones you can't.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

We should have enough space and weight to loot everything we want until we cannot carry anymore. Weight should be the restriction, not grid slots.

I never really used ready bags in UO, but certainly they were helpful for those who died often. I wouldn't mind seeing them again, as I am older and less skilled at staying alive with each new day.

I'm not against dry looting but I would prefer it if only the person who killed the opponent is able to loot the dead body and if he doesn't have enough spaces he can lend the bag space of a team mate or share the loot with team mates. You should also be able to see which bodies you can loot and which ones you can't.

nah... if it's on the ground you should be able to loot it. No nonsense like blue corpses in UO.

We should have enough space and weight to loot everything we want until we cannot carry anymore. Weight should be the restriction, not grid slots.

I never really used ready bags in UO, but certainly they were helpful for those who died often. I wouldn't mind seeing them again, as I am older and less skilled at staying alive with each new day.

Agree on the weight part.

and ya, in UO you weren't really in a hurry to get back into the fight. Not like you risked anything when you were late ;)

But they were a big part in Darkfall. Especially since you made different quality bags. Some for sieges, some for random PKing, some for PvE etc.

It would be cool to 'bundle' items similar to a ready pack. Once you get the bundle you'd have to break it to use any of this items. This could allow us to carry more items but the weight could still be restricted.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Yeah agree with this. The body being open to everyone once killed isn't very balanced IMO. It skews far too much in the favor of melee players. Ranged won't have the chance to loot as much because it will have been picked clean by the melee by the time you get there.

I think it should be locked out to the player who is credited with the kill but only for a short time. That way it allows ranged to be on equal footing with melee and also allows full looting if the players bags are full or just doesn't get to the body.

I think a corpse should be lootable by anyone. Artificial mechanics to prevent certain people from looting a corpse is silly.

Yes. It "favors" a melee character for looting in a free-for-all situation, but Ranged characters have other benefits anyway and if there's still a battle going on, if you are trying to loot a corpse you are leaving yourself open to attack. If you are worried about melee characters on your side being able to loot before ranged characters, get better friends.

Also, of course you shouldn't be able to loot more than you can carry, unless you have a pack animal with you to load it on. That's the way it should be. loot a corpse until you are encumbered.

Once a character becomes a corpse, he is just an open container. I see no reason to make it any more complicated than that.

Edited by ColdSlither

If I'm in a ranged-melee duo and we're trying to decide who gets to loot, I'm going to answer that melee should loot and ranged should overwatch regardless of whether I'm the ranged or melee character. If I don't trust my partner to divvy fairly back in town then he wouldn't be my partner in the first place.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Strongly disagree with locked corpses.  If someone is stealing your loot the best solution is to kill them.

This.  100 times this.

If the lion kills the gazelle, he must also worry about the hyenas.

When you make a glorious kill, it behooves you to enlist the help of the whole pride to defend your prey.  ... and you should also probably bring a Pack Pig.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

If I'm in a ranged-melee duo and we're trying to decide who gets to loot, I'm going to answer that melee should loot and ranged should overwatch regardless of whether I'm the ranged or melee character. If I don't trust my partner to divvy fairly back in town then he wouldn't be my partner in the first place.

Seems to me people expect to fight along side strangers a lot.

Or be in Guilds of Jerks

Edited by Cirolle

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Ultima online looting.  So If I die maybe my friend scares him off or something and at least I get left with a pair of pants and a dagger.

The Darkfall / UO style inventories were great. They catered to really anal personalities, so you can neatly file everything away in various bags. 

I agree.

I also don't know why a lot of people keep calling this type of inventory system chaotic. It's only as chaotic as the person itself lets it.

HGIZfvS.jpg8OFuurS.jpg

colored bags, free position and so on.

I'd take this any day over the grid chaos with "sort by xx" option that we see nowadays.

And this is also my main concern.

The grid style inventory doesn't really lend itself to full loot gameplay.

Take Mount&Blade for example. If you kill a big enemy party and then you look at the loot screen at the end. It's just one endless list everyone probably hated looking through.

But like mentioned in my first post it's more about the size of these inventories. Make them too big and you end up with a big scrollbar at the side with no order whatsoever. Make it too small and you will be forced to cherry pick 2-3 items from a corpse in the worst case scenario.

And the fact that they monetize bank space is really worrying when it comes to storing loot.

Yeah agree with this. The body being open to everyone once killed isn't very balanced IMO. It skews far too much in the favor of melee players. Ranged won't have the chance to loot as much because it will have been picked clean by the melee by the time you get there.

I think it should be locked out to the player who is credited with the kill but only for a short time. That way it allows ranged to be on equal footing with melee and also allows full looting if the players bags are full or just doesn't get to the body.

If someone takes what you percieve to be yours, then go kill him and take it.

If that someone is from your guild and he/she doesn't share then it's time to find a better guild.

Can't kill him because you're on one of the outer rings? well guess we need to implement some kinda system so noone steals those precious daisies that you so carefully picked.

Edited by freeze

I wonder if our inventory slots(backpacks) are going to be a constantly with us... IE no making backpacks every new campaign they are just empty when we enter depending on the rule set... possibly a cash shop kinda thing for space?

- Guess my profile picture was too much for the forum Mod... I best leave it blank I already picked the least offensive one I had!