Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimiko

The Gordon Walton Atarashī Kami Club - Pondering Combat

You don't need to be telling all you know. 

shhhhh

Ya'll forget Mal has been there.   Brownies = info.   Blame Tully.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

As envoy to His Holiness, I come bearing his supreme words and tidings. 

Hello. Praise His Holiness. We greet you all warmly and hope you are doing well.

We have had recently a meeting. The subject was how His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton inspires us and how we apply that inspiration to the art of war, and of course to the art of war in Crowfall. His Holiness has, in his wisdom, decided to create a PvP focused game. With this in mind we know that the design will be complex. We present questions to you for consideration. Thank you for your kindness.

Asako asks: "When I look up at the holy sun in the sky over our beautiful country, I imagine that it is His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton gazing down upon us from on high, blessing all of Nippon with his light. This consideration makes wondering about Crowfall combat to be waged on different types of land. Will there be tactical advantages for holding the high ground, and conversely, disadvantages for holding the low ground? For example; should a force charge from high ground, moving down toward an equal force charging up hill, will there be a mathematical roll advantage within the combat system to afford the force on high ground any advantage? Also, If there were two teams of archers, one in an open field and one in a wooded area, are in ranged combat with one another, would the archers in the wooded area have a 'cover' advantage?"

@Asako: In the scenario you mention, there would be an advantage to the woodland attacker (Visibility and line of sight would likely result in an easier first hit). That said, there are no "Systems" in place that provide a statistical benefit. 

Takeko asks: "His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton is very charming. I find his handsome face to be very disarming. Will His Holiness inspire such abilities in Crowfall combat? Will there be disarming attacks and will magic users have any charm effects?"

@Takeko: With our focus on active combat, we also want to ensure that any form of CC has an "Active" defense component to it. This could result in a disarm requiring you to pick up your weapon. That said, this requires experimentation. 

Setsuko asks: "If I were to ever meet His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton, I don't think I would be able to speak, move or even react to him. My friends agree that even if we were among each other for moral support, we would all be unable to react to him. We would be stunned by his grace and his holy presence, not to mention his adorable face. I'm thinking I would find this to be frustrating due to missing chance to reach out to His Holiness and embrace him or take photo with him. I would at least care to bow to him and tell him how much he has changed my life. If I was stunned by him I would miss my opportunity to enjoy his holy presence. How does the Crowfall feel about crowd control? Some games obviously have too much. Some don't have enough. What is the Crowfall philosophy thus far concerning CC?"

@Setsuko: I understand completely and often feel the same way.

Regarding CC - We know its necessary, we also know it can be extremely frustrating. We aim to find the right balance between total loss of character control and juggernaut style carefree gameplay. The aim is to provide breakout mechanics, reduce the overabundance of "full stuns" and maintain a tactical level of play. 

Kiwako asks: "Does Eric Hart have a girlfriend?"

@Kiwako: He does not - form a line!  

Suki asks: "Someday I will save up enough money go to America. I will go to Texas where His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton lives and I will spend the day sitting on a park bench outside of ArtCraft studio waiting for His Holiness to emerge. I will follow him to his dinner and I will fawn over him from afar. In Crowfall, will there be opportunities for covert scouting? Will the critical concept of espionage be facilitated by covert scouting and outright spying be something the game offering?

@Suki: Slightly concerning, but nonetheless lets just focus on the fact you are excited about in-game scouting potential. All I can say is we want to support spies and the concept of scouts will play a vital role in campaign monitoring. 

Kimiko asks: "My heart has been made strong by His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton. His teachings are like fortifications. His wisdom and love are like ramparts protecting my serene heart. In fact, the name 'Walton' is very ancient and derives from the Norman term 'weall tun', which means a building made from stone and mortar. For anyone to hope to win my heart away from His Holiness, they would have to be quite a person indeed. In Crowfall, I wonder if it will be just as difficult to win a keep, even from a smaller defending force. Siege warfare is not the Japanese way, however the Earthly ancestors of His Holiness have had great success with it. In fact, they would sometimes build siege engines but would also use tactics such as starvation. The Mongols would even use early forms of biological warfare by hurling dead cattle, horses and men over the walls of the city they were laying siege to in order to spread disease. During the Battle of Alesia (September 52 B.C.) Vercingetorix was besieged by Julius Caesar in a clever plan of encirclement by fortifications built by Caesar's army, cutting off Vercingetorix from the outside world. Vercingetorix had called for reinforcements, which did in fact arrive. However, by the grace of His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton, Caesar had foreknowledge of this reinforcing army and had another ring of fortifications built behind him, further cutting off Vercingetorix while also defending against a rear and flanking attack. Caesar defeated the reinforcing army and starved out Vercingetorix and won. How will Crowfall approach the taking of keeps and cities?

@Kimiko: We have various keep siege mechanics, which we've yet to fully unveil. Stay tuned!

"Kiki" asks: " My faith in His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton, is steadfast. I was once a lost girl but now, by the grace of His Holiness, I have claimed much ground in my life and have built a comfortable living for myself. This makes me wonder about Crowfall and if land won will be significantly more difficult to conquered versus when it is initially claimed. If land is claimed during the initial land rush during a campaign, is there a mechanism in place to prevent it from being easily reclaimed? Must it be conquered after it is initially claimed?

Thank you for helping us understand Crowfall. Only by first pondering the grandeur and grace of His Holiness, The Prophet Gordon Walton, and his previous incarnation, Sun Tzu, could we have formulated these notions.

<3 The Gordon Walton Atarashī Kami Club <3

@Kiki: See above :-) 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Ya'll forget Mal has been there.   Brownies = info.   Blame Tully.  

Sooner or later they'll likely need to hire their very own Jerome Simpson to keep the tidal wave in check.

-edit-

bah can't find a small image <_<

Edited by Psyctooth

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Poor Tully :(

Brownies also equal the "special" assignment.

Do you get to leave the building first and give the all clear?

MUST protect ya'll.  We want a game, damnit.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Eric Hart Dakimakuras added to the Crowfall store :)

Followed by the inevitable Crowfall + Hatoful Boyfriend crossover game, Crowfall Boyfriend. Protip: Don't date the jackdaw.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Followed by the inevitable Crowfall + Hatoful Boyfriend crossover game, Crowfall Boyfriend. Protip: Don't date the jackdaw.

Instead of pigeons we get various species of crows.

Oh no!  Now I have developed a mental image ... make it stop ... make it stop!

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Ya'll forget Mal has been there. Brownies = info. Blame Tully.

That's how SurBear knows that isn't their office. He PMed me for the address. Lol. You guys need better Google skills, imo. I found it on my first try.

:wub: Tully.... I really wanna try out a new recipe I found. S'mores cake. Y'all wanna be the guinea pigs??

Edited by mal

If by religion you mean underground cult that worships the ground Gordon walks on, yes, but they only allow female members.

Has Eric been added to the protection list.

Edited by blackspar

He has.  Right under Gordon.  He is now a target too.  Tully could have lied.  Blame him.