Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Belaz

Let's talk Critical Hits

I do love my RNG deck in hearthstone though. It sucks 50% of the time, but man do I laugh and laugh when it wins big!

I can't play Hearthstone for more than half an hour, the RNG pisses me off so much. :P

I have never been a fan of the RNG determining who wins and who loses.  

I could see a system where small bonus things happen in place of more damage.  Like frost spells can cause you to slow way down for a short period and fire can catch you on fire making you move so fast you are almost out of control which would be great fun around high cliffs, bridges with no rails, and lava pools.  There are a lot of creative things that could be done to replace the extra damage model of critical hits.  Nothing was quite as shocking as the first time you got blinded in Everquest. 

If you have to have critical hits then you could change certain campaign rule sets to ratchet up or down the crit rates.  

Edited by Belaz

I'd rather that not be the case. Damage modifiers, speed modifier sure, but no matter how much you train you can't improve luck. Luck isn't a skill. If you sit there and roll a dice 100 times you don't get better at rolling twenties.

And if you're trying to crit at dice rolling, that makes sense. But if you're trying to crit at fighting someone else, there's a very strong skill component. A good fighter may not be able to reliably guarantee that he'll line up the exact combination of factors that lead to a critical hit, but a bad fighter reliably won't.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Not a big fan of crits. If implemented it needs to be a choice of character build (In SB terms, Proc build vs. Standard melee). Lower end with chance of burst damage vs. standard scaling DPS.

I'd kindo like it if crits were mostly based on what sort of weapon you're using, sort of like in Pathfinder/D&D. Some weapons, like say a rapier, crits more often but does less crit damage and other weapons, like greataxe, crits a lot less but does more damage when it does.

Maybe there could also be something where the frequency and impact of your crits depend on your skill with the weapon in question. I sorta feel that should be more like you start off at maybe 50% of the weapon's actual crit efficiency and slowly work your way up to 100% as you increase your skill with the weapon (maybe there could be possible to get a bit above 100% if you have the ability to exceed the standard maximum value for the weapon skill but no more than up to about 110% of the weapon's base crit efficiency).

Hope that made any sense at all.

crits are kinda rng and rng can diminish the skill required to play a game if emphasized too much.  A crit should be like 150% normal damage tops. 

No RNG... simplest form of any crit would be bonus dmg for hitting a target some # consecutive times in a row.. Tends to lean more to the players skill to hit a enemy rather than relying on some complicated formula tied to gear. 

Not a big fan of crits. If implemented it needs to be a choice of character build (In SB terms, Proc build vs. Standard melee). Lower end with chance of burst damage vs. standard scaling DPS.

Have an equal chance of a critical failure; so it's just a gearing option of how consistent you want to be with your damage. I wouldn't be mad at someone getting a lucky string of crits if I knew they were just as likely to fall on their face next time. That way we still get to see videos of ppl editing all their lucky crit strings together to seem like they are skilled!

They aren't going to do that, but I wish some game would instead of crit just being another stat to boost for damage. I think game developers have just bought into the fact that modern MMO players want to see big numbers from criticals. They could be right for all I know; I usually play healers.

No RNG... simplest form of any crit would be bonus dmg for hitting a target some # consecutive times in a row.. Tends to lean more to the players skill to hit a enemy rather than relying on some complicated formula tied to gear. 

Don't see why it can't be a mix of both. This is still going to be an RPG after all and not just a twitch FPS game. Part of the skill in combat comes in the preparation not just the fight itself. Can say RNG is all luck based no skill but you the player are the one who by how you build your character determines what your RNG is. Building your character is a skill just as valid as your skill fighting in combat.

So people posting seem to be leaning towards a smaller chance for crits with smaller bonus crit damage.  I could live with that if we have to have crits.

There are other ways to make some archetypes more bursty than others without using critical hits.   

I'd like to see critical hit chance increased on targets who are stunned or knocked down. We'll call it a coup de grace, and use it to promote the timely and strategic use of CC.

That will give too much power to knockdowns, in a group vs group situation, those that get knocked down will be instantly torn apart.

That will give too much power to knockdowns, in a group vs group situation, those that get knocked down will be instantly torn apart.

Which means you'll need to increase your mass for knockdown resistance, use stun/knockdown breaking abilities, or just avoid being CC'ed through the active dodge mechanic and skillful play.

It could end up being the case that the TTK is so low anyway that 10 people focusing the same target is completely unnecessary where 3-4 would do the trick. It's also likely that the action combat nature of the game will require us to use CC in order to land our larger combos, sort of like how pvp worked for melee characters in Age of Conan.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

This makes me really want a system with Archetype passives. Say after 3 skills used on an enemy, an Assassin procs some type of poison. One of my favorite characters in LoL is Braum, strictly for that stunning passive.

Crits are a throwback to antiquated combat systems that needed to add excitement to classes that basically just auto attacked their way through every fight. With modern complex combat systems that involved lots of abilities, combos, timing and skill shots, it isn't necessary to spice up a dull combat experience with occasional flashes of big damage.

We had a big thread about RNG before the kickstarter and most people seemed to be against luck being a deciding factor in the outcome of fights. The only argument for RNG in combat was that it made bad players have a chance to beat good players because the computer generated better numbers for the newb.

If I get a say, I want no crits, weapon damage ranges, procs, or any other games of chance determining whether I win or not. When I win, I want to know that it's because I outplayed someone, not have to see if the dice were in my favor.

I get my fill of luck in tabletop games. Just recently I lost a warhammer game because my VC blender lord inflicted 0 wounds in back to back turns when the math said he should put out 13.5 per round of combat. Most of my army got wiped out by combat resolution because my main source of damage was incredibly unlucky on his rolls. That's not fun. There was no element of excitement watching a bunch of 1s come up and my opponent rolling 6s for his parry save when I managed back to back 2+.

RNG belongs to the past. Leave it in the past.

OJN1n7E.png

I'm in agreement with the OP. Crits are nice... occasionally. I don't mind the idea of having a low crit chance so long as it remains low. Those rare, big numbers popping up are absolutely exciting. RNG itself I don't mind either as any competitive outlet has a dash of RNG in it; you can't predict outcomes from stats alone.

Just say no to random crits.

In fact, don't even use the term "critical hit" as it has too many expected ties to more RNG based systems.

In fact, I'd be happy if there were no random damage ranges in the game at all once you hit 100 in whatever skill you're using to deal damage. None of this "You deal 90-130 damage" nonsense. It's useless random math that doesn't really impact combat in the slightest, and forces the server to roll more dice for no apparent benefit.

If we're not relying on RNG to determine whether I hit or not, we shouldn't be relying on RNG to determine how much damage I deal either. If the combination of my weapon and skills make me hit for a base 100 damage, I should always hit for a base 100 damage, modified by buffs, defensive modifiers, etc.

Using "lunging strike" on a guy, and dealing 28 damage should equate to dealing 28 damage the next time I use the skill, unless an offensive or defensive modifier changed, you know, because he or I used a skill, or armor or the weapon degraded, or whatever.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I would rather see enabled criticals on a cool down.

The player can hit their crit skill and combo it with a follow up. This makes critical shots more tactical and less random.

That's a really cool idea. Combine it with Lephys secondary-effect criticals and...

I also think it could be pretty great to see criticals often granting some additional effect. Like a sword critical causing a bleed, or a magic bolt critical causing blindness or something. Instead of criticals purely equaling critical damage.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean