Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsbjon

Mounts and how they move!

I dislike how a lot of mmo's design the way in which mounts move around the map. They create them to run and turn the same way the players do, and this is aesthetically unpleasing and unrealistic. I hope it will be as close to real life as possible. When a horse is running at full speed it should have a wider turn radius and not turn on a dime. 

Also something I think would be very smart to introduce is a boost in speed when running on roads/paths. I don't know how much work it would take to code but the pro's of a mechanic like this are endless, obviously the amount of speed would have to be determined but be enough of a benefit for serious consideration. Starting with caravans, this would make a serious debate whether to transport your goods quickly via road ways or to stick to the woods and get home safely but at a longer time frame.

I feel this would create emergent gameplay, Interactions with opposing players would happen more often and being able to calculate to a certain degree where you could set up ambushes and the chances of a gank would be greater, instead of randomly crossing paths with someone in the forest.

Also having the ability to travel faster through out the world would be a nice touch. these maps are going to be huge and if certain roadways could get you places faster that would be nice. there may be other ways of travel such as porting but I like this idea as an option.

I would like to hear what are your thoughts and opinions?

I dislike how a lot of mmo's design the way in which mounts move around the map. They create them to run and turn the same way the players do, and this is aesthetically unpleasing and unrealistic. I hope it will be as close to real life as possible. When a horse is running at full speed it should have a wider turn radius and not turn on a dime.

I don't think aesthetics and realism should be worried about right now. That is a later-in-the-game addition.

Also something I think would be very smart to introduce is a boost in speed when running on roads/paths. I don't know how much work it would take to code but the pro's of a mechanic like this are endless, obviously the amount of speed would have to be determined but be enough of a benefit for serious consideration. Starting with caravans, this would make a serious debate whether to transport your goods quickly via road ways or to stick to the woods and get home safely but at a longer time frame.

I feel this would create emergent gameplay, Interactions with opposing players would happen more often and being able to calculate to a certain degree where you could set up ambushes and the chances of a gank would be greater, instead of randomly crossing paths with someone in the forest.

Also having the ability to travel faster through out the world would be a nice touch. these maps are going to be huge and if certain roadways could get you places faster that would be nice. there may be other ways of travel such as porting but I like this idea as an option.

I would like to hear what are your thoughts and opinions?

I like these ideas. Even so, I don't think these types of mechanics are ACE's main focus right now. Later on, maybe. Now, no.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

If every character is implemented physically, wouldn't that mean it'd be fairly easy to implement momentum & inertia? If every character has a distinct Mass variable, then he'd have to factor that Mass into movement.

What if you key a mount's WASD to acceleration/deceleration and turning (rather than direct movement), and disable strafe entirely? So, while mounted, you go a lot faster, but at the same time changing direction can be a bit trickier, and tactical movement is fairly limited.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

Darkfall has the best mount system imo for these types of games. They Have there own HP and hit box and can be killed (Aswell as nsniping the player off the mount, which then u could steal the still living mount) and rather easy to be replaced, Can fight from the mount aswell (atleast with melee attacks) i dont think they found a way they could balance ranged attacks off the mount i dunno why they never allowed it unless this is the reason. They also cant instantly turn aswell.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawv1n5tofY

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Darkfall has the best mount system imo for these types of games. They Have there own HP and hit box and can be killed (Aswell as nsniping the player off the mount, which then u could steal the still living mount) and rather easy to be replaced, Can fight from the mount aswell (atleast with melee attacks) i dont think they found a way they could balance ranged attacks off the mount i dunno why they never allowed it unless this is the reason. They also cant instantly turn aswell.

For example:

I wouldn't say its the best since best is a relative point of view. Different people have different points of views. I do agree that they have awesome system for mount though. There are other games with mounts being awesome in different ways such as strider from lineage ii with its aerial motion. And don't forget the knight exclusive bird from ragnorok.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawv1n5tofY

Ya I'm coming from Darkfall and I think their mount mechanics are the best in mmo's. 

I don't think aesthetics and realism should be worried about right now. That is a later-in-the-game addition.

I like these ideas. Even so, I don't think these types of mechanics are ACE's main focus right now. Later on, maybe. Now, no.

I think they should be worried about it right now given that whatever they choose is going to affect PvP, which is core to Crowfall. How mounts move will be a major aspect in the game if they are planning on mounted warfare and so on. Also when fleeing on a mount, ranged projectiles are LOS so if your mount can strafe away on a dime it will be a lot harder target to hit. I want them to consider the options. 

You can't speak for ACE; Don't pull down the OP's ideas, I think they are fantastic ideas worth consideration.

I did not speak for ACE nor did I pull down his ideas. I said "I don't think", which indicates the following is based on my observations/opinions and not ACE's, therefore I did not speak for ACE. I also specifically stated "I like these ideas"; however, I did write this in a separate paragraph so I could see how that'd be misleading; the "I like these ideas" was meant for all of his post.

These ideas are great, yes. And my opinion on this has been changed, yes.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

If every character is implemented physically, wouldn't that mean it'd be fairly easy to implement momentum & inertia? If every character has a distinct Mass variable, then he'd have to factor that Mass into movement.

What if you key a mount's WASD to acceleration/deceleration and turning (rather than direct movement), and disable strafe entirely? So, while mounted, you go a lot faster, but at the same time changing direction can be a bit trickier, and tactical movement is fairly limited.

I'm cool with this but remember, Centaur must move the SAME WAY our mounts do! They should get some negatives for the obvious positives they have.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Centaurs don't neccesarily have to move like horses as they are smarter and yet directly connected to the means of locomotion... Figure riding a horse is 1: you deciding what you want to do, relaying that command to the horse, the horse trying to figure out what you are trying to tell it and then the resulting action... No I am not saying institute any of that interaction I'm proving a point on why a centaur would be quicker in, I want to turn left lol

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Centaurs don't neccesarily have to move like horses as they are smarter and yet directly connected to the means of locomotion... Figure riding a horse is 1: you deciding what you want to do, relaying that command to the horse, the horse trying to figure out what you are trying to tell it and then the resulting action... No I am not saying institute any of that interaction I'm proving a point on why a centaur would be quicker in, I want to turn left lol

I feel a happy medium would be that a centaur should not always run at full speed but when they do they should have the same turn radius as a mount. Lets say for argument sake, by pressing 1 they get a speed burst for as long as they want (like a normal mount) until they remove it, this could be from using an action or by turning it off. When they are not at full speed, they still run faster then everyone else but not as fast as a mount, at this point they maneuver the exact same way as everyone else. the obvious PRO to being a centaur is that you will never lose your mount, you are faster, and you don't need to equip a mount to get the speed, its instantaneous.   

I think the mounts have to be done very carefully, because of there physics engine. If they allow for instant stop of mounts or instant turns than the abuse on the physic system knocking people around could be crazy. I wouldn´t worry to much about it, I personally think they are thinking the same about the mounts, they want us to have to think, is it worth mounting my mount could die, takes longer to start fighting if I´m mounted and get attacked or what ever, those are the things artcraft seems to think about. So for now I´m putting my trust in them.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

I don't really like the idea of mounts influencing combat too much in a game where you have an entire archetype dedicated to having the advantages of a mount in combat.

Then again maybe i'm overblowing the influence of Centaurs.

Maybe animal husbandry hasn't gotten too far in crowfall and mounts are just like NOPE NOPE NOPE when they see a fight.

Archeage is the only mmo that I've felt got mounts right. It was a great system, it generally felt like you were riding a horse, rather than just running around with a speed boost. They were also a separate entity from your character so killing someones mount to stop them from escaping was a viable tactic. Just a pity much of the games combat took place at sea where mounts were useless.

If Artcraft were to copy it wholesale I'd be very happy. :)

it is quite important to get the mounts feel real and not as they are in WoW or LOTRO where the mounts just dont feel like they are moving right. The animations are just wrong and not made well enough. It feels unnatural.

All I can think about is, how will roads work in a procedual generated map?

Will there be roads? Will they connect? If so, what will they connect to? Should all tetris pieces connect to all others?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

All I can think about is, how will roads work in a procedual generated map?

Will there be roads? Will they connect? If so, what will they connect to? Should all tetris pieces connect to all others?

Random, poor, scattered and rare is probably the best way (Abandoned roads add to the atmosphere of a forsaken world).  Ideally, it would be very interesting to see players have the ability to construct roads to gain an advantage (Inside the Campaigns).

I support the mount movement suggestion, but it probably does not matter considering I am very biased in favor of non-convenience.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I think the OP has a solid point there's something to be said for those little touches of realism in MMO's....However with the Devs having already stated that they want to focus on overall gameplay rather than individual animation features (Hence the race/class locks) I doubt they'll put the the time in for the mounts as there are already a few different types not to mention nothing has been confirmed on the what will happen with the 'Centaurs & Minotaurs' in terms of mounts/movement!

3e1fe97e6f8cb8b5d3e53745cdedd75a67909c97

Follow Us On Twitter ~ @SerratedGuild