Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abel

Working out

Who works out?

all my live i was (and still i am) confused about the term "working out". especially if connected to gyms. first and foremost i am a traditional european craftsman. why the hell should i work out? i work enough. i mean, sure, i did a lot of sports, alone 20 years of judo for example. never called this working out. i do what have to be done and/or what i like.  ;)  and sometimes this is some kind of sports. sometimes not. and thats it.

"working out" sounds so much like "well, i know i do not really work, but whazzamadda, hey, i work OUT, haaa!". in my ears. but maybe this is just because i am not very familiar with english and i wrongly tend to draw a connection between work and work out that doesnt really exist. so no offense. B)

Edited by Dr. Kraahk

all my live i was (and still i am) confused about the term "working out". especially if connected to gyms. first and foremost i am a traditional european craftsman. why the hell should i work out? i work enough. i mean, sure, i did a lot of sports, alone 20 years of judo for example. never called this working out. i do what have to be done and/or what i like.  ;)  and sometimes this is some kind of sports. sometimes not. and thats it.

"working out" sounds so much like "well, i know i do not really work, but whazzamadda, hey, i work OUT, haaa!". in my ears. but maybe this is just because i am not very familiar with english and i wrongly tend to draw a connection between work and work out that doesnt really exist. so no offense. B)

Hey, Doc.

I think your ears are translating well, actually! :)

Work, for me, mostly entails reading, pressing keys on a keyboard, and some thinking.  So, for this American at least, I wish I "worked out" more, for two main reasons, to be healthier, and to look better.  We Americans tend to be pretty vain. But not me of course, I just appreciate and try to foster human aesthetics. :o

And I talk about working out with a heavy bag to sound tough.  But don't tell anybody. ;)

BTW, this seems like a good thread for this

Until today I never even knew a "flex cam" was a thing.

MB

"and a couple of the Kickstarter packages were just crazy good"

oj57UME.gif

Note: Eye candy presented with thanks to the Crow(s) who granted permission for me to include their badge(s) in this tasty exhibit.

there is nothing wrong in working on being healthier and looking better. thats a good thing. obvioulsy more people should do this. *grin*

i am just bewildered by the seemingly fact, that so much people say something like "whoot? you dont work out? tsuh tsuh tsuh". and i just think "dam(n)e(d), whatcha talkin about?!" i mean, my grandfather still carried his 80 kg weighing work-tool upstairs with the age of 75. never worked out. always worked in. i assume both ways are ok, as long as they accept each other.

Oh, and unfortunately this video isnt unlocked for my country. But thanks, i am sure it is a lot of fun.

Maybe some additional words to those who work out, if you dont mind?

I dont know how you typically work out in lets say the US. But be aware, that for example lifting weights wont make you stronger in general. Our muscles learn the movements they practice. As martial artist i have seen many people who thought simple pumping iron would make the gain. One of the first things i learned from an olympic champion who trained me was: It doesnt. And that this experience might hurt.  :P 

If you dont already do it: Even if you dont practice for fighting purposes, it is useful to sometimes ignore the most functional physiological movement rules that coaches tend to tell you and do things a little bit different. I said sometimes. And a little bit. Dont hurt yourself! ;) Your muscles will be gratefull to have the opportunity to complete a slighty different coordination task. And you will be gratefull to be able doing things you are used to do, but not only at one specific angle. Just my experience. But maybe you would like to give it a try. No matter what kind of work out you do.

Edited by Dr. Kraahk

You seem to have a more down to earth view on working out.  For some it's just the trendy thing to talk about, the act itself loses any sorta importance and it's more that they'd rather be seen as the type of person that works out.  For me it's all about functionality and it's kinda sad seeing a lot of people have body image issues and it drives them to do some strange things with their workouts.

To me it's all about going out and being real, not talking about how real you are being when you go out. 

To me it's all about going out and being real, not talking about how real you are being when you go out. 

ftqwPIJ.gif

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg