Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

The combat has to be fun enough, with lag

I agree that testing the combat is very important, but I think the combat has to be designed from the ground up, to be acceptably good with moderate lag.

I don't care how much you expect people to upgrade their PCs, the internet infrastructure isn't going to change for your ideal combat system. We don't live in South Korea, we don't have god tier internet in the U.S.

I understand that this game can't suite all tastes, but if it can't suite the internet of its expected user base, we're going to be in some trouble.

Action combat is pretty reliant on stable connectivity so, I think its pretty important for the work-around to be started from the ground up.

Edited by Zomnivore

Have you seen the game? Have you seen that they are testing combat first?

I doubt this game will need an Alienware past 2012. Any alienware before that sure.

I doubt this game will need an Alienware past 2012. Any alienware before that sure.

what nooooo you need the latest alienware with razer accessories or you can't hope to compete

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

It's going to be super twitch combo moves. If you lag out for one combo move, you die and move back into your parents' house.

Again?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

It's going to be super twitch combo moves. If you lag out for one combo move, you die and move back into your parents' house.

What if I already live there? Does it mean I get chicken tendies for dinner that night?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I don't think they should design combat around anything above 150ping... but ideally 100 or less.  Life is tough, you can't ruin the experience of the game for some outliers with bad internet or that live out of region. 

I hope they don't make combat too much spray & pray with one spell.

One element I'd like them to include is orb cannon from Unreal. Where you fire slow-moving large orb, then detonate it with beam for large explosion. Orb does some damage on its own, so does beam, but when combined damage is much bigger.

Edited by Sinij

What if I already live there? Does it mean I get chicken tendies for dinner that night?

Only if you have enough Good Boy Points.

Back on topic. OP, what kind of ideas do you think could be implemented to help with high ms?

Also I hope you realise why hotbar combat and similar things were used so heavily with early mmos and that your answer is right there.

Unfortunately, as this is an action combat game, it can't work.

231e101d88.jpg

I agree that testing the combat is very important, but I think the combat has to be designed from the ground up, to be acceptably good with moderate lag.

I don't care how much you expect people to upgrade their PCs, the internet infrastructure isn't going to change for your ideal combat system. We don't live in South Korea, we don't have god tier internet in the U.S.

I understand that this game can't suite all tastes, but if it can't suite the internet of its expected user base, we're going to be in some trouble.

Action combat is pretty reliant on stable connectivity so, I think its pretty important for the work-around to be started from the ground up.

Go and watch any Darkfall Online pvp movie. The combat there is far more reliant on ping than it will be in this game, from what the devs have said and what we've seen.

That game was released half a decade ago, by an awful development team.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You make chicken tendies sound like it's a punishment...

IRTOP, care to explain a bit more on what you solution for a lag acceptable combat would be?  I understand your point, and while I don't agree with it am curious to hear your thoughts on how it could be addressed in an action combat environment.

[@--(o.O)@]

I'm thinking as long as your animations telegraph most hits within 500ms things should be reasonably lag tolerant. Obviously it's impossible to test responsiveness before the actual combat testing begins so howsabout we revisit this topic when more people have had a shot at testing out the first draft of the system and how it treats their connectivity?

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I hope my internet connection from Nigeria can handle this poorly made socks. I want to smash face at 1000ms in between my email scams.

You wouldn't happen to be the same Nigerian Prince with a dear relative that has passed away recently would you?  If so I'm still waiting on my funds to be transferred.

[@--(o.O)@]

This is actually one of the things I'm very interested to see how ACE handles.

Number of players, network latency, and server heartbeat speed are in tension with each other; pick any two but not all three. If you have a fast heartbeat for action combat, you either have to limit the number of players in an engagement or you become very latency-sensitive. If you want to have very large encounters and also be somewhat latency-friendly, you need a slow heartbeat. (EVE actually adjusts their heartbeat rate dynamically during very large battles, the "time dilation" effect).

This is why traditional shooters typically have such a low population limit- in order to maintain the fast heartbeat an action game needs while also being somewhat latency-friendly.

If Crowfall wants to have action combat and also large encounters, the third leg is latency. If you're on a slow connection (slow as in high ping, not as in low bandwidth), I don't imagine the game's going to be playable at all well.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I've seen the game.

I've seen that they are testing combat first.

However their gameplay doesn't matter if its not being tested on a laggy platform, to replicate reality.

Don't build a castle for the sandbox at home, if your plan is to put it next to the sea.

Edited by Zomnivore

Google isn't going to suddenly instantly pop up, and pimp the U.S.'s internet infrastructure.

Clearly you never look at the "Users reading this topic" thing at the bottom.  Google has heard you...

[@--(o.O)@]

So you're saying they should have some kind of test before the game comes out? Maybe we can source this to some of the player base, we could even name the tests after the Greek alphabet, the first test being A tests or "Alpha" and the second one being "Beta". I actually think you might be onto something here.