Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

The combat has to be fun enough, with lag

Just move to a city with Google Fiber.

Google Fiber. Help your internet connection stay regular. :)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I reckon what I'm saying is its pointless for them to test combat first, if they have no idea how their games going to work on a network.

#2longdidntread2muchtrollsnotenoughrarepepestoomanynormieswhatevertardsontheinternetsaytobeedgy

Edited by Zomnivore

I reckon what I'm saying is its pointless for them to test combat first, if they have no idea how their games going to work on a network.

If it makes you feel better, they'll probably work out their network when they roll out the combat for pre-alpha testers and will probably keep working on it during alpha.

Probably.

231e101d88.jpg

Here in Canada I'm rockin 250Mbps down, so we're good for twitch :P

Bandwidth and latency are not the same thing. You can have a huge pipe and still have horrible ping times.

Ping time is the speed limit. Bandwidth is the number of lanes on the highway. Driving on an 8 lane freeway doesn't get your packets there any faster if traffic is moving at 30 mph.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Bandwidth and latency are not the same thing. You can have a huge pipe and still have horrible ping times.

Ping time is the speed limit. Bandwidth is the number of lanes on the highway. Driving on an 8 lane freeway doesn't get your packets there any faster if traffic is moving at 30 mph.

The internet is just tubes

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I get 280-320 for most games when servers are based in the USA

This was enough for PvP in WAR AoR, Age of Conan, WoW, TERA, GW2

However it was NOT enough for PvP in TESo Darkfall, SWTOR or Wildstar

Given that TERA and AoC had quite interesting action based combat and WAR had some of the most insane large combat PvP I am not too concerned

TESo lagged insanely in PvP with more than 10+ players

Darkfall, is in essence an FPS game and try playing CoD at 300ms

SWTOR.... well that was a back end problem with their %$#@ game engine

Wildstar... dont know it was just ^%#$#

TERA for me is the best example of managing action combat with lag in an MMO, shame the game gets so repetitive.

Edited by steppenwolf

I usually see an average ping of 60 - 90 on most games hosted in North America (and I live in the US).  I've played games hosted overseas with a ping of 250 -300, and some were perfectly playable, whereas others were not.  It all depends on the game design. 

I feel that part of the early testing should include keeping track of the testers' ping rates.  That way ACE will have good, real data to analyse for adjusting the combat design to suit the needs of the majority of their players.

I assume they are taking latency into consideration when designing things, I can't think of a game that hasn't recently, except for some Korean MMOs that get transferred to NA without changing any of their code to handle latency.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

This is actually one of the things I'm very interested to see how ACE handles.

Number of players, network latency, and server heartbeat speed are in tension with each other; pick any two but not all three. If you have a fast heartbeat for action combat, you either have to limit the number of players in an engagement or you become very latency-sensitive. If you want to have very large encounters and also be somewhat latency-friendly, you need a slow heartbeat. (EVE actually adjusts their heartbeat rate dynamically during very large battles, the "time dilation" effect).

This is why traditional shooters typically have such a low population limit- in order to maintain the fast heartbeat an action game needs while also being somewhat latency-friendly.

If Crowfall wants to have action combat and also large encounters, the third leg is latency. If you're on a slow connection (slow as in high ping, not as in low bandwidth), I don't imagine the game's going to be playable at all well.

Which is why fundamentally PvP in Crowfall should be a slow burn and not a frag fest of CC lock, spike down and next target or just a bunch of AoE death spam.I would much more prefer a slower server heart beat with longer time sinks to allow for skill, group dynamics and tactics to shine and not twitch/ping ruling the roost  with a one button macro,