• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Navtyr

Active skill proficiency hand in hand with passive progression

Active and passive skill progression  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Active and passive training going hand in hand - You actually need to swing your weapon to know how to max it out
    • Passive progression is independant, multiple characters without playing progress at same pace as active characters.

Allright, here's the thing i'd like to know. Which system do you guys prefer?

To explain what i meant by that, here's a bit of something about it.

The FAQ on the matter states : "You can advance a skill through use -- but only to get proficiency. Passive training is the primary way of advancing your character's skills."

And another copy paste: "To jump start this process (of passive training), using a skill would advance its proficiency but only up to a certain amount. This is known as active training. "

Now proficiency as a jump start doesn't sound bad to me, but what if it would be more than that. What if proficiency would also be used (for simplification purposes) as a % bar that passive training is dependant on? Now before you go all "Oh hell no, i'm not gonna be afk spamming my skill to level up like it's another Asian MMO!" on me, hear me out.

Unlike the passive training, it doesn't take you one month of swinging to get your skill proficiency to 100%. It would be quicker so it's not a chore to do. "Then why do it at all" you might say? It's main purpose would be to make people actualy play their character in order to make them bash that skull harder and not simply making a load of alts and setting their passive training queue to max 15 skills they never once used before. At that point they can either play a single character the whole time or logout for a few months, In the end they will have more (skill value wise) archetypes up to par with people that have actively played for example only one the whole time, thus making VIP (or more accounts) almost a requirement if you ever want to play more than one character on competitive level. If you decide you want one after half a year, good luck, should have passive trained months ago. 

Now of course your valid argument would be "but they wouldn't know how to use the skills, so they would suck anyway -easy stomp" or "but you have disciplines while they don't" etc. The bottom line is, it's a huge advantage with zero work and let's face it, it doesn't make much sense to know how to deliver that massive precise 100% skill level blow without ever trying it in real battle before.

-------

tl;dr example: I've used the skill 'Sword lunge' a lot in war this week, since those pesky guinea pigs keep running away, thus my 'Sword lunge' proficiency is currently at 82%, meaning that at the moment, i can passive train the skill to 82% (out of 100% max). At the same time i've rarely used the skill 'Battle roar' because i'm too lazy (or have a sore throat), so the proficiency is at 13% and if i intend to improve it in the near future, i better start using it more often.

OR

let's just make a ton of alts, set their skill queue and be set for life.

Thank you for reading and please discuss.

Edited by Navtyr

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

I proposed something similar a month ago for exactly the same reasons (make it hard for multi-accounts owners to skill up characters), so it goes without saying that I fully support the idea. If it's too much I would be okayish with an alternative mechanism that stops passive training when one hasn't been active for some time.

y9tj8G5.png

I actually like the system they've described, and I think it sets them apart. Don't make them cater to the masses by getting rid of another 'different' mechanic like they did with bartering.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Character skills train passively.

Player skills train actively.

If you want to play a character at a competitive level, rest assured that you won't get there just by idling your character to the skill cap while you play LoL every night.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

lol. Primal's going to quit CF for good because he couldn't trade goats.

I have been asking to trade goats for months. Every currency thread, I was there lobbying for goats. Primal may be upset, but my heart, and the hearts of my trading goats, are broken.

Please don't break the hearts of my passive skill training gnomes.

Hi I am Adall, and this is my charitable partner Sarah McLachlan. Look in the eyes of this gnome. He needs a home and Crowfall has promised him one. All he does is help people train passively. For the low cost of voting no in this thread, you can save him and countless other passive training gnomes from homelessness and heartbreak. Vote today.

*In the arms of the angel....*

I'm fine with the system as is like others state. IMO it lets us just play and not have to worry about grinding sword lvls so you can do better in the CW's. Seems like it'll be more actual player skill based this way, which is what I thought most wanted.

Please, won't someone think of the gnomes?!

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

For the nth time... no.

You only get one passive character at a time unless you pay for VIP (3) or own multiple accounts. It is balanced just fine.

Sure, it's balanced fine if everyone has the same number of accounts. Oh wait..

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Sure, it's balanced fine if everyone has the same number of accounts. Oh wait..

You realize how few people have multiple accounts on the grand scale right?

It's a video game that a uses a mouse and keyboard. Anyone who's argument is "they'll suck with it" has a really weak argument, using skills isn't something that will take weeks to master....

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

When active training is the only way you end up spending more time creating bots and macros to beat up and heal on a buddy or figuring out how to get certain monsters stuck so you can sit there and shoot spells at them for 6 hours. People end up spending more time macroing than playing the game. Your people that actually try to go out and fight and have fun at the beginning get stomped and quit the game when the basement dweller pulls his god mode character out of macro heaven two weeks later. At least with passive training players don't have to worry about these things and can go out to pvp in a level playing field and continue to do so. 

With that being said yes obviously having vip account and therefor 3 characters skilling up at the same time is an advantage but if you are only allowed one character per campaign it isn't that big a deal. There is nothing they can do, and honestly shouldn't even try, to prevent multiple accounts.  

It's a video game that a uses a mouse and keyboard. Anyone who's argument is "they'll suck with it" has a really weak argument, using skills isn't something that will take weeks to master....

So in a couple of weeks I'll be as good at LoL as the guys with 6 figure incomes on the pro teams? Cause that's a game that uses a keyboard and mouse too.

Awesome. Brb, quitting my job.

Tully

There is nothing they can do, and honestly shouldn't even try, to prevent multiple accounts.

I can't even......

So you're not okay with VIP characters, unless there is a campaign limit, but you're completely fine with multiple accounts to bypass the rule.

People are weird..

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I prefer to have active progression, it might be easier to raise alternates by simply paying them, but I don't want to pay for progression, I want a game for the gameplay, paying to progress is a shortcoming in design, no matter how it's pitched or defended.

Like anything in the game, I don't mind paying, as long as it's a fair price for a satisfying return, paying to grow characters isn't really satisfying, and it doesn't really develop a mastery of characters as they grow.

Worse, the protracted time it takes to reach complete mastery in all of a characters stats is directly controlled to allow them to receive money until the time they think you should be done paying them to grow. Passing it off because it only affects alternates is a poor method of deflecting what is directly pay to progress faster.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I prefer to have active progression, it might be easier to raise alternates by simply paying them, but I don't want to pay for progression, I want a game for the gameplay, paying to progress is a shortcoming in design, no matter how it's pitched or defended.

So is every pay to play MMO out there a failure of design?

Pay to progress faster is an extremely common option in no small number of MMOs these days. I really don't see where this is worse, especially since we're talking alts, exclusively. Alts aren't really progression in the direct sense.

I don't really understand where you're coming from.