Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sinij

30 minutes gameplay

One major problem with most MMOs, especially sandbox type, is that if you have short play session you can't really achieve much. If you have 30 - 45 minutes to play, or you can play couple hours but have frequent interruptions - you might as well not bother.

I feel this is a major design challenge that has to be overcome.

Now, before you start flaming me for mentioning WoW, I think Blizzard with Battle Grounds did something right. You could log in, queue with PUGs, and play 40 minutes session. Sure, that wasn't high-quality PvP, but it was accessible and could be fully experienced in short sessions.

I request that developers consider 'minimum necessary time to have a play session' metric in everything they design, and ensure that there is something available for everyone.

One major problem with most MMOs, especially sandbox type, is that if you have short play session you can't really achieve much. If you have 30 - 45 minutes to play, or you can play couple hours but have frequent interruptions - you might as well not bother.

I feel this is a major design challenge that has to be overcome.

Now, before you start flaming me for mentioning WoW, I think Blizzard with Battle Grounds did something right. You could log in, queue with PUGs, and play 40 minutes session. Sure, that wasn't high-quality PvP, but it was accessible and could be fully experienced in short sessions.

I request that developers consider 'minimum necessary time to have a play session' metric in everything they design, and ensure that there is something available for everyone.

They have stated many times that their aim is not to "approach to everyone". Some people get joy even from 30 munites of mining resources. If they try to "approach to everyone" they will end up having an empty simple game, WoW is the greatest example of this situation. We are talking about an MMO here, if you have 30 munites, you should instead consider playing a moba or a similiar game. 

Really though, what can you expect to get done in a half hour that isn't a battle ground? Other than screwing around the EKs

I was thinking writing up my mercenary idea. Basic premise - you queue, get teleported to a random fight as an anonymous participant, fight and if you win take 'home' spoils. People that hire you, equip you, set up goals, and have to pay into the system to get you teleported to the fight.

if you have 30 munites, you should instead consider playing a moba or a similiar game. 

I disagree, there is no reason moba-like experience couldn't be strapped into the game. Let me try to explain with example.

For example, you have a big siege, hours of planning and logistic went into preparation. As a grunt in ether army, you don't really do anything important until fighting starts. There is no reason why we can't short-circuit this system and let grunts fast-forward into battle, given that the way this implemented won't break tactical gameplay.

I disagree, there is no reason moba-like experience couldn't be strapped into the game. Let me try to explain with example.

For example, you have a big siege, hours of planning and logistic went into preparation. As a grunt in ether army, you don't really do anything important until fighting starts. There is no reason why we can't short-circuit this system and let grunts fast-forward into battle, given that the way this implemented won't break tactical gameplay.

There are reasons actually. Like its against the design and vision concept for the game.

If you're the type of player that needs instant gratification then this type of game likely isn't for you. Stick with WoW and mobas IMO.

They have stated many times that their aim is not to "approach to everyone". Some people get joy even from 30 munites of mining resources. If they try to "approach to everyone" they will end up having an empty simple game, WoW is the greatest example of this situation. We are talking about an MMO here, if you have 30 munites, you should instead consider playing a moba or a similiar game. 

I really am starting to hate the mentality of "if you don't like it or disagree, go jack-off".  Honestly, asking for 'minimum necessary time to have a play session' metric from the devs and also asking that it's relatively small (about an hour) is a completely reasonable thing.  Many of the backers that are literally pouring their money into this game as well as the multitude of players the devs will need to make this game a relative success are people with lives.  Most people have jobs and other responsibilities that don't always allow for multiple hours of gaming. 

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeTjr4q_grE

It explains, very well, the importance of understanding play session length.  The devs NEED to produce a game that can cater to marathon gaming sessions as well as the "I have 45 min to kill" play session.  

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

If you're the type of player that needs instant gratification then this type of game likely isn't for you. Stick with WoW and mobas IMO.

I disagree that this has anything to do with attention span or commitment. Life gets in the way. I am sure many here would prefer to have more time to play games, but have to sacrifice game time for career, family, and other grown-up responsibilities.

What if 30 minutes is all you have?

I disagree that this has anything to do with attention span or commitment. Life gets in the way. I am sure many here would prefer to have more time to play games, but have to sacrifice game time for career, family, and other grown-up responsibilities.

What if 30 minutes is all you have?

Then you either need to play efficiently to get the most out of those 30 minutes or play a different game that is more suited to you.

Then you either need to play efficiently to get the most out of those 30 minutes or play a different game that is more suited to you.

Exactly, and this thread is discussing how to play efficiently, or more importantly, that it is possible to play efficiently and get something accomplished in 30 minutes.

Also, I am not saying that everything has to be achievable in 30 minutes, simply that it is possible to achieve something in 30 minutes. Now, 'mining run' session isn't bad example of short play session experience, but I feel we could and should have more variety.

Edited by Sinij

Bruh, if you ain't got time for a six hour sesh, then gtfo.

giphy.gif

I'll prob just goof around the EK or watch combat animations if I got 30min only, but I don't think it's an absurd request. Not really asking for dev time, just wants the ultra-casual to be in the thought process.

You noobs afraid of getting zerged by 100 players logging in for a 30 minute objective?

Exactly, and this is thread is discussing how to play efficiently, or more importantly, that it is possible to play efficiently and get something accomplished in 30 minutes.

Then should have made a thread in the General section talking about how people can make the most out of limited playtime.

Asking for the Dev to make changes and add things to the game that are not in the design concept isn't really productive though.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with OP.  As an adult tons of poorly made socks takes me away from gaming.  I'd love to do nothing, but game 24/7/365, but that's not reality.  

The best solution I can think of is if the bane system becomes a thing.  I think it will at least help.  I'll know that at X:XX time I need to login, even if it only be for a limited amount of time, and defend/attack a landmark.  Just knowing when to login for the most action would be monumentally helpful, and I hope to see a system that supports this playstyle.

[@--(o.O)@]

Who's idea was it to have zone timers for objectives, Sheen? I think if there's some kind of mini-game akin to resource mines in Shadowbane and Continent alerts in Planetside 2, it'd be sweet. (the similarity with mine systems is just that you get resources for capturing the mine, that's about it for that mechanic). I'm assuming that caravan runs maybe have something similar, but we just don't know yet. If there's some way we can log in and help the cause without having to do 3am sieges, then that'd be great. Even if it's just selfish stuff that doesn't affect winning/losing on a macro level.

No one's saying that a 30 minute player should be a factor. 2-7o all day.

Bruh, if you ain't got time for a six hour sesh, then gtfo.

giphy.gif

I'll prob just goof around the EK or watch combat animations if I got 30min only, but I don't think it's an absurd request. Not really asking for dev time, just wants the ultra-casual to be in the thought process.

You noobs afraid of getting zerged by 100 players logging in for a 30 minute objective?

Nah brah, just plan on picking off the noobs fallin behind in the pack  :P

Unfortunately, I have to agree with OP.  As an adult tons of poorly made socks takes me away from gaming.  I'd love to do nothing, but game 24/7/365, but that's not reality.  

The best solution I can think of is if the bane system becomes a thing.  I think it will at least help.  I'll know that at X:XX time I need to login, even if it only be for a limited amount of time, and defend/attack a landmark.  Just knowing when to login for the most action would be monumentally helpful, and I hope to see a system that supports this playstyle.

I would think that'll happen naturally once you're in a Campaign and get a feel for how the players, well play. You should know that its likely during "primetime" more sieges might happen and off times more small engagement's. So depending on what time you login you should get a good idea as whats available so can make the most of your time.

I would think that'll happen naturally once you're in a Campaign and get a feel for how the players, well play. You should know that its likely during "primetime" more sieges might happen and off times more small engagement's. So depending on what time you login you should get a good idea as whats available so can make the most of your time.

I agree.  But this can be directed as well for efficiency; which I think all OP was asking for.

[@--(o.O)@]

The problem with a Planetside-style combat spawn-in is that it completely nullifies the logistic and strategic challenges of delivering violent capabilities to the right place. If your army gets suckered out of position and is too far away to respond to the real threat before your important maguffin gets burned down, that's a meaningful strategic error and should not be handwaved away with "gotta get some PVP in during this commercial break".

I appreciate that a half hour play session may be all some people can commit to, but realistically you're not going to reliably get a meaningful strategic battle in that kind of timeframe. Crafting or harvesting might be a different story.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully