Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sinij

30 minutes gameplay

I really am starting to hate the mentality of "if you don't like it or disagree, go jack-off".

So true.

There are a couple of individuals in this forum that would follow ACE into the grave and mock or insult anyone who disagrees.

That being said, I unfortunately disagree with this proposal. In similar games before, I used to take a mount and run inside the map with the only purpose of finding a fight to waste 30 minutes or 1 hour of playing time.. I will probably keep doing it in Crowfall.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I agree.  But this can be directed as well for efficiency; which I think all OP was asking for.

Sounded like OP was asking for things to be added that go against what the Devs envisioned with the design concept. So no its not rude or mean or whatever to remind someone that like the Devs have said themselves that this may not be the game for them. This isn't going to be a quick instant gratification battleground type game, its just not. Not going to apologize for pointing that out, its just the truth.

The problem with a Planetside-style combat spawn-in is that it completely nullifies the logistic and strategic challenges of delivering violent capabilities to the right place. If your army gets suckered out of position and is too far away to respond to the real threat before your important maguffin gets burned down, that's a meaningful strategic error and should not be handwaved away

I agree with you. I don't think instant-spawn for everyone is a desirable feature.

In my mercenary example it could work the following way: Each side sets up mercenary tent, that is used by mercenary players to spawn in battlefields. You have to make the tent, stock it with gear, and gold, and defend it from getting destroyed by the other side. There are logistics involved, just not for mercenaries.

hmmm, maybe planetside 2 isn't the best example. PS2 is great because the respawn thing which is obviously not a feature desired for a mmo at all. I meant more along the lines of the objectives that are short in time and if something similar is put into place, it's effect would be negligible on a macro level.

hmmm, maybe planetside 2 isn't the best example. PS2 is great because the respawn thing which is obviously not a feature desired for a mmo at all. I meant more along the lines of the objectives that are short in time and if something similar is put into place, it's effect would be negligible on a macro level.

Well I think POIs and such fill that niche. Its not all going to be large battles around city's and keep sieges. There will be lots of smaller things and other objectives that lead up to those bigger battles that time limited players can make their mark IMO.

Edited by pang

In Ultima Online there were unofficial places where you could go at any time lf the day and have your PvP. Covetous Entrance, Brittania X-roads, Deceit dungeon. it was perfect for short gaming sessions.

Then again there were runes and a recall spell, that allowed you to cycle through those locations at a cost of reagents. With fast travel in the game finding a fight will not be a problem.

Edited by rajah

As long as risk vs. reward is balanced, I don't think even BG-style gameplay is a problem.

--Example 1--

Say a bloodstone spawns in the zone, the local guild has to try to carry it home. To make this harder, they have to fight-off players that teleported into area. If guild succeeds fighting off waves of PUGs, they get bloodstone. If PUGs succeed in over-running the guild, they all get resources/loot.

Guild side spends time planning and organizing for the event. PUGs just queue to participate and spawned by the game.

--Example 2--

Rune dropper mob spawns. To make fight harder, anonymous PUGs are spawned to defend the mob. PUGs can't get rune, can't see names or map and can't attack other PUGs. They can attack players going after rune, and longer they succeed at keeping the mob alive, bigger the reward.

They could implement runes/ recalls like in UO, or just set up some kind of fast travel mechanism in campaigns. There are pros and cons to it, but running around alot is only fun in the beginning when you are exploring the game.

Here's my question: why are you "running around a lot" anyway that makes fast travel appropriate? If you're defending your own territory, you should be there already. If you're attacking someone else's territory, the trip there (and back) should have a meaningful opportunity cost. If you're just roaming to gank, then fast travel is the opposite of what you want.

It's not like you need to get from one quest hub to the next quest hub when you ding 20.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I really am starting to hate the mentality of "if you don't like it or disagree, go jack-off".  Honestly, asking for 'minimum necessary time to have a play session' metric from the devs and also asking that it's relatively small (about an hour) is a completely reasonable thing.  Many of the backers that are literally pouring their money into this game as well as the multitude of players the devs will need to make this game a relative success are people with lives.  Most people have jobs and other responsibilities that don't always allow for multiple hours of gaming. 

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeTjr4q_grE

It explains, very well, the importance of understanding play session length.  The devs NEED to produce a game that can cater to marathon gaming sessions as well as the "I have 45 min to kill" play session.  

Read carefully, he is not really asking for "having fun in 30 munites". Because even in current state, you can accomplish that goal in many ways. The most simple one could be ambushing people in forest, trading metarials , visiting player-built cities. There isnt really limit to what one can accomplish in an sandbox game. This game runs on players, this is not a PvE game. There are things that developers cannot interfere with.

He is basically asking for some kind of battleground implementation to the game. That is aganist the vision, that is aganist the whole "hardcore" thing of the game.If one does not like simple thing, such as design of an castle, he has all the rights to make suggestion or anything. But asking devs to go aganist their design goals of this game? Well then "if you don't like it or disagree, go jack-off"

The devs NEED to produce a game that can cater to marathon gaming sessions as well as the "I have 45 min to kill" play session.  

First, the devs don't NEED to do produce anything than their vision of a PvP sandbox MMO that we all backed.  It's purely up to you on whether this vision will fit your gaming style and restrictions.

There will be guilds that require #/hours per night/week in order to participate in the primary CW group.  There will also be guilds that don't have any requirements, "just jump online and help us with this objective".

The developers are not going to frame the sandbox to fit everyone's gaming time restrictions.  For you, it's 30-45 minutes... for another, it's 1-2 hours... for another, it's all day... for another, it's 15-30 minutes.  You get my point here, in that it's not up to the developers of any game to fit every gamer's style and time restrictions.  That's really your responsibility to decide what you'd like to do with  your 30-45 minutes of entertainment time.

It may very well be, that CF isn't for you due to the large scale strategic PvP that will be going on in CWs.  You really have no authority to issue demands to any developer. You only have control over your own person and the time you invest/spend.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

If you're just roaming to gank, then fast travel is the opposite of what you want.

Precisely that, I do not want to roam too much. I want to gank. Fast travel increases you chances of finding a suitable target in the course of those 30 minutes you have. I.e. you will be able to cover 3 locations instead of one by porting around. Edited by rajah

Precisely that, I do not want to roam too much. I want to gank. Fast travel increases you chances of finding a suitable target in the course of those 30 minutes you have. I.e. you will be able to cover 3 locations instead of one by porting around.

Also fast travel really breaks the immersion in many cases, without fast travel armies would be moving directly from location a to b, so much strategical possibilities of routes, ambushes , plans , timings etc.

But if they make fast traveling a thing, the armies will basically constantly TP around , people will use TP's to transfer metarials instead of caravans, half of the world will turn into dead-zone...

They can make it so whenever you die, you can teleport to your guild base if your inventory is all empty, but that is another thing.

Also fast travel really breaks the immersion in many cases, without fast travel armies would be moving directly from location a to b, so much strategical possibilities of routes, ambushes , plans , timings etc.

But if they make fast traveling a thing, the armies will basically constantly TP around , people will use TP's to transfer metarials instead of caravans, half of the world will turn into dead-zone...

They can make it so whenever you die, you can teleport to your guild base if your inventory is all empty, but that is another thing.

They could make it so goods are not transferrable via fast travel means and thus still require caravans. As for ft breaking immersion, I disagree, It all depends on the lore. There can be limits on the throughput of a travel portal, for example to prevent massive armies from porting around. There are many variables that can be tweaked to get the best out of fast travel without sacrificing other aspects of gameplay. Edited by rajah

Yeah pretty sure Instant travel (within Campaigns) would kill most if not all the real risk vs reward gameplay this game is designed around.

Bottom line for time limited players, will just have to plan ahead and play efficiently to get the most out of our time.

They could make it so goods are not transferrable via fast travel means and thus still require caravans. As for ft breaking immersion, I disagree, It all depends on the lore. There can be limits on the throughput of a travel portal, for example to prevent massive armies from porting around.

It always sounds boring to me, compared to prepearing horses for a ride, with all the risk and dangers it holds.

They can make it so horses travel real fast if you are not carriying alot of resources. I always prefer actual traveling over teleporting.

Even with all the additional mechanics to make it so fast travel does minimal damage, there will always be a trade-off. And personally, i hate that trade off. I want to see a world where everyone is actively doing something, when i look through forests i want to see people riding around to accomplish whatever goals they posses. I dont want to see an empty-npc filled monster where most of the people instantly travel around and afk around cities.

This part is more of a personal-preferance thing.

Edited by Eren

It always sounds boring to me, compared to prepearing horses for a ride, with all the risk and dangers it holds.

They can make it so horses travel real fast if you are not carriying alot of resources. I always prefer actual traveling over teleporting.

Porting in into a wrong place, in the middle of an enrmy group for example can hold plenty of risk and danger.