Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sinij

30 minutes gameplay

"Traveling with an army" concept sounds exciting only on paper, in reality you will simply have to run for 30 minutes with 40 other people.

Risk/ reward is not broken in any way by what the gate system I suggested, you can still be ambushed at the gate as much as overrun in the fields, with an alternative mean of travel you only get more choises to build your strategy with, and those choises are not inherently less risky.

Running around IS boring, at least for me it is. Its fun only when I explore the area or when there is actually something to do on the run like if there is a high possibility of meeting a target to attack. Simply getting from point A to point B, is not fun.

Mindless zerging is not likely to happen alot, because if you zerg mindlessly you will inevitably lose to somebody who zergs mindfully, strategies will be employed, and more travelling choises means more possible strategies.

If somebody "captures" a gate and sits there holding it, he becomes a sitting duck, just get some friends and take the loot.

Zeppelins where you can fight and thow em down to the ground actually sounds like an epic idea, that could be a player made structure, possibly.

Well , not that risk/reward, it removes the risk/reward because you can get from point a to b easily, which means you can just visit guild capital , re-equip and get back to war. Or even if you lose a war you can re-group at your guild base before anyone can make a counter attack.

Not somebody, im talking about big guilds. You cannot really kill them like that.

Also its always favorable strategy, only counter strategy is camping on hunger gate. Removing it opens ability for many different strategies. If guild a is stronger then guild b, then they can simply zerg through the hunger gate.And guild b has little chance of victory. But without it guild b can prepeare many traps through the road and with enough strategy, they might preveil.

"Zeppelins where you can fight and thow em down to the ground actually sounds like an epic idea, that could be a player made structure, possibly."

Yes this is what i was thinking, it could take time to build a zeppelin, but after 3-4 weeks you could see some guilds making zeppelin ports and forming travel routes with other guilds. However zeppelins must have a carrying capacity and they should be attackable. One another thing is coding zeppelins is quite easy, hard part would be modeling it.

To be fair I am not against all forms of teleporting.

I am okay with a form of teleporting that requires money and time.

Like an item that you can bind to the place you're actually at, in order to teleport there in a future time. If I remember correctly, it's how it worked in DF.

Basically teleporting is limited to how many items you or your team mates bound to a certain place. It's like "borrowing" time from previous traveling.

y9tj8G5.png

To be fair I am not against all forms of teleporting.

I am okay with a form of teleporting that requires money and time.

Like an item that you can bind to the place you're actually at, in order to teleport there in a future time. If I remember correctly, it's how it worked in DF.

Basically teleporting is limited to how many items you or your team mates bound to a certain place. It's like "borrowing" time from previous traveling.

Yes in UO you had to run to the place and mark a rune which required reagents, then cast a teleport spell on the rune to get to the location you have previously marked, which also required reagents. All the runes and regs costed money and could be looted of course. Most guilds would keep shared rune repositories in chests or ona porch of a building.

You could also walk up to somebody as a thief and steal his regs or his recall rune.

That system rocked to be honest.

Edited by rajah

Well, I'd also imagine quite a few EKs will be open for PvP so you can just port in (if not in a campaign I'd imagine) and get some quick PvP.

I hope a Dev gets the opportunity to read / see this.

100% with the OP on this one, whereby I can sit on my rapidly expanding ass for hours, sometimes you only have a short amount of time. What filled that niche for me in SB was ease of mobility (around the map), open ToL's for a quick hit of PvP, and knowledge of where to go to pick a fight.

Much of this is still to be fleshed out in terms of how the game will operate, but method of creating conflict points (e.g. caravan runs?) will help fill those short play sessions.

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com

This sounds like something for the EKs. We know the ruler can set up PvP in their EK, so battlegrounds can be made by the players. What I specifically hope for is to be able to have a PvP designated zone within my EK as opposed to the whole place. This way I can have shops in non-PvP areas for players to buy gear or get repairs, stop in the tavern to eat, or go pray in the temple. When they are ready, they can go to the PvP zone fight (i.e.break their stuff) and come back to town when they are done. We would need some sort of tools to determine a 'winner' unless you just want a free-for-all, kill-to-your-heart's-content zone. The tools would probably reflects how CWs work. If there were a wager mechanic, really good PvPers could live off of their winnings (less the vig of course).

this against the idea of whole game. But i think this can be achieved in EK.

However, adding battlegound like WoW will definitely ruin the game. It's because the purpose of campaign is to force everyone into a survival situation.

If you are looking for short game, go to EK for normal pvp.

Instant travel was in every worthwhile non faction PvP game (UO amd SB), and it did not KILL them quickly or was not even close to it. I am not sure where are you getting that reference to BG from. You are 100% wrong there.

And I will be paying attention while travelling, the problem is that I will be forced to play attention to something I absolutely do not care about. Do that often enough and you will lose all your customer base soner than later.

So a throne war is a fantasy kindom is not about combat ? What ismthe difeerence netween a throne war and a combat simulator ? If we were to "simulate a medieval throne war" You'd need king lineages, Italian bankers, peasants, navy, among many other things.

Yes but UO it was port to a city and travel out to the combat fields. On a large single server. Here we have worlds devoid of infrastructure. There are no portals unless we make them. You want to lessen your combat ability in order to up your crafting to this one specific item? Go for it if they allow it. The portals need a power source you would have to keep going, if someone comes along and destroys it, well you have to craft another. They should require some seriously rare materials though and a LOT of normal material to craft. They also should only be capable of being crafted in territory you control (no siege portals, gotta siege the old way).

This is route taken if you actually want it to feel a part of the feel of the game. Risk/reward. No free teleports. You have to build it, only your faction/guild/fealty line can use it, you have to keep it powered. Meaning you have to keep feeding it resources or it powers down and is unusable. Not raw resources though, a crafter has to turn the raw resources into the fuel source. After all we have to build every piece of infrastructure on these worlds.

As for you not understanding throne wars. It is about so much more than combat. It is strategic thinking, using distance as much as military might to gain control over an enemy. Distance can be a huge factor in war. Frankly I would love it if teleportation is not allowed, so you are forced to runt hat distance, the boredom takes away your edge and enemies can take advantage of it with traps and ambushes and whittle down your numbers as they re-spawn back at their base and have to make the journey over again. Remove instant travel and attrition becomes a thing. Make it too easy and attrition is pointless.

UO was a focus entirely on your character. Here, we have fortresses and resources being the key things, this changes the way you must look at the game, you cannot go "well this game had it" and expect it to fit into a game with a different methodology. I mean heck, Aion allowed us to turn into raid bosses capable of taking out hundred of players if they didn't work together to counter you, and event hen a good many of them are going to die anyway from the raw power of your attacks. I mean another MMO had teleportation, lets pull the guardian mechanic from a different one that had the larges fortress battles, right?

This game is designed for distances to actually matter, taking that away will ruin part of the game, sieges matter less when your reinforcements can just appear rather than being forced to travel the distance on foot and time being a factor in the siege.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

An interesting thread to read...

I agree there should be some way for short time players to be entertained... But as other people have said... Simply running around blindly looking for a fight is a valid answer to that. Having certain scheduled events is also an approach.

Fast travel / teleporting is definitely NOT the right approach. 

Now to finish reading this thread...