Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A change to our forums - Official discussion thread

Newly registered people, who are not backers, will have a forum to post their questions for 30 days after registering.  This forum will be for these potential backers and those who want to help them get their questions about Crowfall answered.

What happens to folks who have exceeded the 30 day window after registering for an account?  Will they not be able to post in the newbie section anymore either, and the full forums go read-only?

[@--(o.O)@]

Interesting solution. No more sockpuppeting (unless you want to spend $5 to do it, in which case lol), but at the expense of a few people who were in "wait and see" mode. Not really sure what I think about this yet. It's a rough transition after ~4 months of non-backers being members.

What happens to folks who have exceeded the 30 day window after registering for an account?  Will they not be able to post in the newbie section anymore either, and the full forums go read-only?

Yes, after the 30 days a new registrant can no longer post.  Unless they become a backer.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Yes, after the 30 days a new registrant can no longer post.  Unless they become a backer.

thats a really bad idea, just let them stay posting in the newbie forum and be harsher on trolls

i know if i was considering backing it but I didn't have a lot of money id be pretty annoyed if I came back later to ask another question before backing and i just straight up couldn't post

also it literally doesn't stop them from making a new account to ask the same question

gtlLXYT.png

Here are my thoughts on the matter....

If i'm to understand it correctly a new account that is not a backer will be able to post for 30 days on a specific forum while a nonbacker that has past that 30 day period won't be able to post much of anything anywhere?

Because it doesn't cost a lot to back this game this change isn't really a big deal and from a business perspective I can see how this could generate a little more money.

My main concern with such a change is the sense of entitlement it tends to create within backers of a certain persuasion. 

Initially I didn't like the reasoning in regards to problems with non backers being less than constructive but the reality of it is this change does indeed get rid of some trolls.  Though we have seen many backers who are also less than constructive. 

if somebody starts sending private messages its only because they are unable to get an answer or an explanation via the official support channel. As people tend to escalate when they are unheard.

The only real solution here is to fix your support channel, rather then blame it on the bad client. It will do alot of good in the long term.

Thats just my experience from working with customer support.

We're pretty snappy on answering the support emails.  Many people don't know about support@artcraftent.com which is why I try to include it in posts.  We need to have better navigation to it on the website (making a note to myself).  I check the support box a lot more than I check my PM's for sure.  :)

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

What is the harm in allowing them to continue to post only in the newbie section after the 30 day window?  I understand the financial side that leads to a tipping point that encourages people to back, but I also think it could lead to a plethora of abandoned accounts, and/or people creating alt accounts just to post without still backing.

[@--(o.O)@]

I understand why you are doing it, but I am not keen on this quoted bit. As someone else pointed out, as more information becomes available people are going to want to ask questions about it. All blocking posting privileges will result in, is a massive influx of new accounts with questions about why their "main" accounts cannot post. 

Keep them on their newbie forums indefinitely until they become a backer, at which point the full forum posting privilege becomes available. Your newbie forum is going to become really cluttered with all sorts of topics, not just questions though, regardless.

Edited by M0rdred

We also had a few days when our forums were being spammed with "BUY GOLD NOW" posts in a variety of languages.  

We were able to deal with it by turning on a posting delay -- but, quite frankly, that only worked because our forums aren't large enough (yet) in traffic to make it profitable enough for them, otherwise that company (and others) would have adapted immediately.

This solution still isn't perfect, but it will help a lot.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

[Rules of Conduct]

I'm glad to see that your tats made an appearance.  It'd had been a while and I was scared you might have gotten them lasered off.

With that said, a Q&A captcha system goes a long way in preventing bot accounts that will spam the forums.

[@--(o.O)@]