Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

A change to our forums - Official discussion thread

I think this is a great first step to cleaning up the both the actual and perceived usefulness of the official forums. Many of the members of the community I've talked to are quick to point out the prevalence of trolls and redundant posts clogging up an otherwise useful venue to discuss Crowfall.

Many are also correct in that trolls sometimes have money to spend and may have backed this game. J Todd pointed out rather quickly, however, that these trolls now can be effectively banned from posting in the forums. Its unlikely a player is going to keep paying them on new accounts, solely to continue the verbal assault. Perhaps they will? Either way the player can be quickly banned and forced to pay for the development of the game in exchange.

I'd love to see this change go into effect coupled with a zero tolerance policy to posting and ad hominem attacks against people. Force the quality of debate and discussion to be raised by simply removing the low hanging fruit.

There is a time and a place for these people to have a say, but during development of a game is not one in my opinion.

I'd also add that any gap in this armor simply invites the problems to continue but in a localized subforum. If the goal is to save time moderating, then do so in full measure. No "Newbies or Welcome to Crowfall" need exist at this point. A need for this will easily rise up in the fansite community.

Hey man, I got you a glass of water. Come take a seat over here and relax. We have a nice day at the spa planned for you. First we are going to do a hot stone massage, followed by a full mani/pedi, and later a hot bath and sauna treatment.

Enjoy your stay at the Black Bird Hot Springs, and remember to take it easy! Everything here is all in good fun!

I'm ok with this.

It's important for the community as a whole for ArtCraft to clamp down on toxicity early.  It can absolutely ruin communities, even for the best of games.

Probably even more so for 'hard core' PvP games.  

Although I believe honest, direct communication and interaction on the part of the developers is the single best way to reduce toxicity in a community.

Which ArtCraft have been doing an admiral job of.  But I guess it's not always enough, or at least not enough to also encourage constructive feedback.

People do tend to care more when they have some skin in the game.

So I'm interested to see if this approach garners positive results.

I'm totally on board with backer's money going into game development instead of extra [insert technical term here for mice to run in wheels thereby making board possible]. Moderating boards is a huge drain on employee time and (from personal experience) morale. It's not as if they won't have lots of constructive feedback. 

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

geez, if you guys wanted to get rid of me, you could've just banned me. Didn't have to change the whole forum structure, sheesh.

LOL!

I'd be interested in seeing all the other ideas that were brainstormed and tossed out.  Warprose's suggestion had to be one of them  ;)

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

This thread needs more triple digit post count baby birds crying about the dangerous tr0lls. At least half of the posters you keep seeing are amber backers or higher. So, if they really wanted to be tr0lly, you think $50 worth of alt accounts would be beyond their means? Tr0ll naming and shaming carries the same weight in the CoC as tr0lling. Except one's easier to spot than the other.

Unless you got more than 3k posts. Then obviously you're a super contributor.

Nothing new here. I cut my MMORPG teeth on KI stuff (Don't laugh) and you can't post there either unless you are a member or recent purchaser so I don't know what all the fuss is about. Those that actually support the game with something that really counts (Yea money pun intended) have a vested interest to keep it civil and not lose what they have invested in. 

24px5oh.jpg

I blame Darkfall and Shadowbane. I mean, first they kill you in game, take your stuff, and THEN send you hate tells about how bad you are at the game. Inevitably, it evolves into bad sportsmanship as they start to attack your RL. Then you log onto the forums, and then you see they posted a youtube video of them smashing your face in. I mean, good god when will the madness stop?

Surely charging a one-time $5 entrance fee will stop such behavior.

So much insulted at the end of this thread. If you get banned for troIIing, you deserved it, because you're a poorly made socksty troII. With that being said, this community isn't even close to toxic. Save the insulted for when you're getting your sand castles stomped and gear looted.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

it motivated me a bit earlier than expected, was waiting till birthday end of summer, had to use fathers day gift slot. good to have a gamer kid who read his emails :)

When did troIIing become anything more than playful antics?

When did it become a term for actual bad behavior?

I blame the media...

It actually changed the other way around - posting has always meant trying to get under other people's skin to upset or anger them for fun, and has only recently (well, within the last 2-5 years, probably) been popularly diluted to mean playful antics - a lot of people now even seem to use it just as a colorful way of saying they posted on a forum, which is of course ridiculous.

See: all of these Urban Dictionary entries that are over ten years old, a Know Your Meme page, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, and every other source on the internet.

(This misuse has actually become a weird pet peeve of mine)

Edited by Isarii