Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

Want to know something about Crowfall, ask away!

I am thinking of buying this game, but I wonder if anyone can clear up for me what state it is in? Is it currently playable? 

Thanks

Pre-Alpha is currently planned for the end of summer. So no, not currently playable yet.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

We're guessing at alpha this fall, beta next spring or summer, and full release in December '16 if they can hold to that schedule.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I heard there was a archetype called slayer coming ? And will a human be able to become one or is it race locked to another or undecided ?

Info about all currently-planned archetypes is here: http://crowfall.com/#/archetypegrid

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I heard there was a archetype called slayer coming ? And will a human be able to become one or is it race locked to another or undecided ?

The Slayer was a April Fools picture release, but due to the popularity of this joke, ACE is considering to implement this archetype. We don't know when and how though. Archetypes are race locked and since the Slayer was conceptualized as a Guinecean we almost definitely won't see the Slayer as a human.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

The Guinecean Slayer was an April Fools' joke that resembled Ezio from Assassin's Creed.  There is no official plan for it to exist as a real archetype.

IhhQKY6.gif

I'll post this here because the likely answer is "We'll see in Alpha 1"

Any idea on the hero starting gear, and how long between death and being geared up enough to fight generally.

I'm expecting casters can pretty easily get back in to fighting, unless they need a weapon/focus to cast spells, but I am fairly concerned about the down time of finding a crafter to make you a sword after you respawn so you aren't completely useless in combat after death.

Landmimes, the silent killer.

You'll want to have several sets of backup gear vaulted so that you're not looking for a crafter in the middle of a prolonged battle.

On offense, you'll know you've achieved a meaningful victory when your opponents are no longer able to reequip and return to the battle.

Tully

Hmmm. I have a few questions about customization. I know that in character creation there will be sliders for each race and different options. So first.

1. If there is a slider affecting height and weight will they also affect your mass?

2. Sometimes down the line I want to change things up. Different hair. New scar on my face. Maybe new tattoos. What are the chances of post creation cosmetic character editing? I'm not saying race changes or anything. But I'm sure roleplayers would find this answer interesting as well.

xctwLnf.png

Hmmm. I have a few questions about customization. I know that in character creation there will be sliders for each race and different options. So first.

1. If there is a slider affecting height and weight will they also affect your mass?

2. Sometimes down the line I want to change things up. Different hair. New scar on my face. Maybe new tattoos. What are the chances of post creation cosmetic character editing? I'm not saying race changes or anything. But I'm sure roleplayers would find this answer interesting as well.

1. We don't know yet

2. Character re-customization will likely be in as a cash shop item.

I can't imagine you'd be able to set your mass during character creation simply by moving a slider. However, there will be runes you can select (creation runes are Crowfall's implementation of merits and flaws) which will affect your mass among other statistics.

Tully

Something I'v not been able to fully understand is accessing the EK. 

So we join a campaign which lasts 3 months, does that mean we can't go back to the EK during that 3 months or can we go to the EK whenever you want?

Also if you can go back to the EK whenever you want wouldn't that cause issues with collecting out of campaign loot and taking it in or what happens the the loot/gear on your character from the campaign? 

Edited by Cheewy

YannMLq.png

Something I'v not been able to fully understand is accessing the EK. 

So we join a campaign which lasts 3 months, does that mean we can't go back to the EK during that 3 months or can we go to the EK whenever you want?

Also if you can go back to the EK whenever you want wouldn't that cause issues with collecting out of campaign loot and taking it in or what happens the the loot/gear on your character from the campaign? 

You can go to the EKs whenever you want. You can't move items back and forth between the campaign you're in and EKs.

y9tj8G5.png

Think of logging into an EK with a campaign-locked character as a kind of astral projection: you're effectively present so that you can manage your training queues and your vendors, collect and pay taxes, and administer your parcels and buildings, but you're not physically present and do not bring any physical objects with you in either direction.

Tully

Hi, I was curious about how the game will deal with low-skill vs. high-skill players. Will there be a big difference between them and how useful a new player can be in group event?

Here's a quote from the FAQ on the main page that goes into a bit of detail on this.

This is a fairly large problem for traditional (level based) MMORPGs: high (or max) level characters are basically invincible against mid and low level characters. Numerically, this is often caused by power escalation: the low level warrior might hit for 10 to 20 damage the high level hits for ~4000.

In a game that is PvP-focused, this is obviously not going to be a fun fight for the low level player! Level based progression systems force their players into zones based on level brackets, which really segments the population.

Since Crowfall is a very different game, we’ve approached this problem from a few different angles.

First, we are using a “skill” based system – there are no levels. Without levels, the difference between a “maxed” character and a starting character is far less severe.

Second, we designed the game to have a much flatter power curve. Meaning that your biggest gains for any skill (or attribute) come early, and the remaining gains are all on a steep “diminishing returns” curve.

Additionally, access to equipment will largely be based on acquiring it rather than an arbitrary “level” restriction. To add to this, the power curve for equipment has been dramatically “flattened,” as well. Power gained from equipment is much smaller than in a level-based game – but still meaningful enough that players aren’t running about naked.

More action-related mechanics such as dashes and blocks will create opportunities for new players to avoid damage that isn’t based on a random number generator. Additionally, terrain and position make a huge difference – which makes the game much more tactical.

Lastly, because the game uses passive training as the primary mechanism for advancement, there is no grind for player powers or camping of monsters to find that “one rare item”. Players will essentially have a full arsenal of powers to use from the beginning.

If you meant skill like individual player skill, the player with higher skill will obviously have a higher advantage because he has experience in dealing with different classes, he knows all of the abilities the other players he's fighting may use against him, etc.

Edited by Jon

Think of logging into an EK with a campaign-locked character as a kind of astral projection: you're effectively present so that you can manage your training queues and your vendors, collect and pay taxes, and administer your parcels and buildings, but you're not physically present and do not bring any physical objects with you in either direction.

This makes the most thematic sense. Since the lore states we're champions of the gods. Using an astral projection to handle your affairs on your EK makes the most sense. On top of that. This could provide interesting roleplay ramifications.

Of course then this begs the question. How immersive can we make this? When you first create your character you customize your first NPC "governor" that moves around your palace and such. When you log in he reports to your throne. Etc.

But then can I also customize NPC guards? Guild crests and such. Hopefully this is some minor under the hood quality of life stuff we can play with.

xctwLnf.png

Here's a quote from the FAQ on the main page that goes into a bit of detail on this.

If you meant skill like individual player skill, the player with higher skill will obviously have a higher advantage because he has experience in dealing with different classes, he knows all of the abilities the other players he's fighting may use against him, etc.

Thank you Jon, this is what I wanted to know, sorry I missed it when reading the FAQ.

That's what I was thinking, that the skill based system was used partly because of this problem. And I think the flattening of powers, skills and equipment curves will help a lot, not sure how the stats will work yet... (health, stamina, dexterity and such) but I'm sure they will be fine.

I was thinking of a "Role" system for groups and group events. For example, a group leader could give the new characters the temporary role of "stretcher bearers" or "Shield wall" that comes with a few skills, buffs, restrictions and powers. Instead it could also be closer to an "Apprentice" system, where a player choose an apprentice instead of a leader assigning roles. Anyway, this is just brainstorming.

Thanks again, ill support this game asap!

Edited by Lunatick