Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

Want to know something about Crowfall, ask away!

Thanks for the response.

This is what I was wondering about, but I'm not quite sure I understand the implications of what you're saying.

Let's say I'm from Server 1 and you're from Server 2. Will our characters ever meet? And if so, where? Eternal Kingdoms? Campaigns? Both?

I don't see how it would be possible for two characters from different servers to encounter each other since I read there are no instances in the game, but it sounds like you're saying it would be possible.

Your characters within the supported regions for whatever publisher you are using are all part oft he same world... they can jump into the same campaigns or EKs, which are all like their own servers/instances... 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

There are no traditional servers in Crowfall, the universe architecture is pretty different from what we're used to.

When you log in Crowfall, you can choose to play in an Eternal Kingdom (a personal map owned by every player) where any player from ACE servers can go, if you allow them to. I think it's quite similar to Minecraft where you can set the map on private or public.

Or you can also choose to join a Campaign for a couple of weeks to a few months. Those Campaign Worlds can also be joined by anybody, at any time, from ACE servers. 

It's like one huge server where any player can join any world.

Here's a thread by ACE that explains how it works.  :)

Hmmm, I'm even more confused after reading that thread...

Does this mean you'll need to use some kind of menu system to get from one player's Eternal Kingdom to another? I thought you would just be able to run there :(

And what does it mean to "join a world"? Again, I got the impression that the game universe would be seamless and instance-free, meaning you could run to and from any place. When I hear 'join' I imagine there's some kind of phasing involved.

Does this mean you'll need to use some kind of menu system to get from one player's Eternal Kingdom to another? I thought you would just be able to run there :(

And what does it mean to "join a world"? Again, I got the impression that the game universe would be seamless and instance-free, meaning you could run to and from any place. When I hear 'join' I imagine there's some kind of phasing involved.

Imagine a server browser list from lobby based games... but each server on the list is a game world... whether it be an EK or a CW.... CWs will be bigger than EKs but each will be their own world... you can pick which ones to join from what is available there. 

Campaign world.  A campaign world is where the bulk of gameplay will happen.  Think of them as individual servers I suppose.  Each campaign world will/can have different rulesets/objectives.  These worlds are not persistent.  Try reading the FAQ here; https://crowfall.com/#/faq/553fa67718859c484f5af672.

Also if you haven't I'd suggest reading through all of the FAQ's.  A lot of your assumptions are pretty far off target, and I think reading through the FAQ will help clear things up.

[@--(o.O)@]

I always imagined the server list would be something like this, for example:

Crowfall Server List:
-------------------------
1. Eternal Kingdom - Secret Hideout (Canth)
2. Eternal Kingdom - Courant's Paradise (Canthor)
3. Campaign 42 - The Shadows [blood Stone] (Canth)
4. Campaign 13 - The Dregs [bane Circle] (Canthor)

1. My personal Eternal Kingdom with Canth.
2. Courant's Eternal Kingdom where I'm a vassal with my alt Canthor.
3. The campaign Canth is participating in.
4. The campaign Canthor is participating in.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Campaign world.  A campaign world is where the bulk of gameplay will happen.  Think of them as individual servers I suppose.  Each campaign world will/can have different rulesets/objectives.  These worlds are not persistent.  Try reading the FAQ here; https://crowfall.com/#/faq/553fa67718859c484f5af672.

Also if you haven't I'd suggest reading through all of the FAQ's.  A lot of your assumptions are pretty far off target, and I think reading through the FAQ will help clear things up.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums and the FAQs, but their descriptions aren't very clear and there's a lot of contradictory information going around. For example, this thread says there will be no instances: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-14

But what everyone's describing here is a game that is nothing but instances. Each EK is its own instance, each campaign is its own instance, etc.

Hopefully I'm misunderstanding, because that would make for an extremely disappointing "MMORPG".

Edited by Konway

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums and the FAQs, but their descriptions aren't very clear and there's a lot of contradictory information going around. For example, this thread says there will be no instances: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-14

But what everyone's describing here is a game that is nothing but instances. Each EK is its own instance, each campaign is its own instance, etc.

sort of.

Dont think of campaign as instances, but rather as servers.  You choose a server to play on for a limited time ( 1month to 6 months)

After that time is done, you get to bring your winnings back to your housingarea to upgrade your castles, shops etc.

The Campaign is the actual game, but its not persistent, its rather large worlds that last for a limited amount of time.

Edited by zinnie

An instance is when you have multiple identical copies of the same content. When you have entirely different game worlds with their own unique content, those aren't "instances".

If there were 20 different Everquest servers with completely different maps, and when you logged into EQ you could choose to log you character into any one of those 20 servers, would you call them "instances" of each other?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Hopefully I'm misunderstanding, because that would make for an extremely disappointing "MMORPG".

An instance is very subjective... they will have entire game worlds that are gigantic, which by traditional standards would be called "servers".... they will have many of those game worlds... to choose from in a server list... along with those game worlds there will be EKs that you can choose from a game list. 

Instances are generally reserved for very small and non-persistent environments that reset shortly after you use them. 

These are full on servers...

An instance is when you have multiple identical copies of the same content. When you have entirely different game worlds with their own unique content, those aren't "instances".

If there were 20 different Everquest servers with completely different maps, and when you logged into EQ you could choose to log you character into any one of those 20 servers, would you call them "instances" of each other?

I see what you're saying, but it sounds like a very pedantic distinction to me.

When most players talk about "instances" they're not concerned about the terrain, they're concerned about whether that zone is part of a seamless world or if it can only be reached by some sort of teleportation. In Crowfall, it sounds like that will be the case -- you can't simply run to a campaign, you need to be phased into it via the menu system. Neither the world nor the players who inhabit it are persistent, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because this sort of structure would make it impossible for large communities to thrive. It's almost identical to the features that killed WoW's server communities...

Edited by Konway

What you're saying is that every traditional MMO server is an "instance".

I disagree with that position.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I see what you're saying, but it sounds like a very pedantic distinction to me.

When most players talk about "instances" they're not concerned about the terrain, they're concerned about whether that zone is part of a seamless world or if it can only be reached by some sort of teleportation. In Crowfall, it sounds like that will be the case -- you can't simply run to a campaign, you need to be phased into it via the menu system. Neither the world nor the players who inhabit it are persistent, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because this sort of structure would make it impossible for large communities to thrive. It's almost identical to the features that killed WoW's server communities...

The campaign worlds are persistent for weeks/months... this was a design decision to combat server stagnation problems they experienced in games like shadowbane.

The worlds themselves will be comparable to other mmorpg worlds, and will be seamless.

The eternal kingdoms are the persistent side of that coin... They will be worlds that do not get destroyed over time, unlike the campaign worlds...

What you're saying is that every traditional MMO server is an "instance".

I disagree with that position.

Fair enough, but the end result is still the same: Constantly hopping from one server to another fractures the playerbase and makes building a large community impossible. People will retreat into insular little cliques and guilds, and everyone else won't matter.

Edited by Konway

Fair enough, but the end result is still the same: Constantly hopping from one server to another fractures the playerbase and makes building a large community impossible. People will retreat into insular little cliques and guilds, and everyone else won't matter.

pretty much.

CF is a cold blooded pvp game after all. Not much time for silly social structures and playtimes.

You won't constantly be able to hop though... once you pick a server you are generally committed to it, they've talked about ways to get outta it but they won't be super easy... 

It's also a pvp game... which means everyone else is forced to matter, cause you can't just ignore other parts of the community when it has big agendas that may impact your own. 

pretty much.

CF is a cold blooded pvp game after all. Not much time for silly social structures and playtimes.

I think the devs disagree about social structures being "silly". After all, they're the ones who said this: "our design focus is on the interdependence that drives strong community ties." Link: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-14

There's nothing more fun than killing your nemesis in PvP, but it's not even possible to have a nemesis when the campaigns only last for months. By the time you get to know everyone in your campaign, it will be over.

You won't constantly be able to hop though... once you pick a server you are generally committed to it, they've talked about ways to get outta it but they won't be super easy... 

It's also a pvp game... which means everyone else is forced to matter, cause you can't just ignore other parts of the community when it has big agendas that may impact your own. 

I should've worded that more clearly. When I say "constantly" I'm referring to the normal turnover of campaigns, not hopping from one campaign to another (I know they plan to make that very difficult or impossible).

3-6 months is nothing in MMO time. It took that long to reach the level cap in the first release of WoW, and then it took just as long to get to know all the guilds and players on your server.

Edited by Konway

I think the devs disagree about social structures being "silly". After all, they're the ones who said this: "our design focus is on the interdependence that drives strong community ties." Link: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-14

There's nothing more fun than killing your nemesis in PvP, but it's not even possible to have a nemesis when the campaigns only last for months. By the time you get to know everyone in your campaign, it will be over.

Then you can fight them in other campaigns or maybe get to the tournament campaigns where the serious guilds will try to one up each other. 

So when ACE gives you the option to join campaigns with durations of up to a year, and when a character joins a campaign he is locked to that campaign for its duration, how is that significantly different from a traditional MMO giving you the option to create characters on multiple servers? Do you really think that no social ties will form in a community which is fighting with and against each other for a solid year?

Especially when the game is about the politics of territorial control, and not just running 5-man dungeons for 15 minutes at a time?

Tully

If you are interested in crafting - are there certain Archetypes that will give a bonus (out of the box) to certain crafting professions?  --OR-- can you do any crafting on any Archetype the same?

Some Archetypes will be better at crafting than others.. It also has to do with how you stat your Archetype during character creation, with disciplines and advantages/disadvantages.

A character can be purely made for crafting, which will make him better at crafting than those who go for a hybrid route.