Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

Want to know something about Crowfall, ask away!

Guest Mydilsian

What costs will be involved in playing this game? One off cost buying the game or will monthly payments be essential or will that only be for a premium service?

What costs will be involved in playing this game? One off cost buying the game or will monthly payments be essential or will that only be for a premium service?

From the Pricing FAQ:

WHAT IS THE PRICING MODEL FOR CROWFALL?

Crowfall is a “buy once, play forever” game. That means that you buy the game once (estimated retail price of USD $50) and you can play for the life of the game, without ever paying us again!

We also offer an optional VIP membership, details of which are provided below.

The FAQ covers exactly what VIP is and what it offers players.

Edited by arawulf

#.1 Will there be any underwater mechanics for dungeons? (Kedge Keep in EQ1 is my absolute favorite dungeon to this day)

#2. How will tagging be regarded in combat? First person hits get credit or all who hit get credit?  I ask because countless times you go to engage an enemy and someone else ranged will get it first, this mechanic is extremely annoying as most of the time this person is doing it on purpose. Kind of reinforces toxic behaviour and creates more reasons to play a certain type of class and neglect other classes.

#3. How will communication work? Do you plan to add an ingame voice options? Although ingame voice has never really been successful thus far, maybe it could be improved on?  I ask because I do not enjoy joining random voice servers (teamspeak, vent etc...) it takes away from the game play when you have to stop playing and sort out voice only to be annoyed by the people in the channel. Where as if it were already in the game, you could speak to your group directly when needed and hopefully also have a way to mute the inevitable joker snorting into the mic.

1: not at launch and possibly never. Swimming animations are a lot of art work + expense relative to the value returned.

2: what credit? You don't get experience for killing anything, and looting is first come first serve.

3: there have been a few threads discussing in game VoIP but no dev response yet; this is a wait and see.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I imagine these details are lacking at this point - any clues about what will the landmass scale of a campaign world be. [or the scale of the number of players in a campaign world]

e.g. something along the lines of how long would it take you to run across a world? How will the 'edges' of the world work - e.g. oceans, mountains etc? Will their be fast travel systems (I am aware there are mentions of mounts)

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

acyawn, we've been told to expect that campaign worlds will be roughly the size of old world WoW. Details like edge mechanics have not been discussed publicly. Given that materiel logistics and the economics of production will be a significant part of gameplay, I would not expect to see any fast travel options beyond personal mounts.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Thanks - sounds a good scale then - yup the edge stuff i wasn't really expecting - I wonder if the worlds might perhaps loop around as spheres but that might be complicated.

Indeed I would hope for it to only be mounts without teleporting around instantly.

Edited by acyawn

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I was wondering how the kickstarter demo was made 

How long did it take to make it?

Did they use Unity5 too?

I guess they scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch for what we have now, but yeah.. just curious

I was wondering how the kickstarter demo was made 

How long did it take to make it?

Did they use Unity5 too?

I guess they scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch for what we have now, but yeah.. just curious

That video was specifically made for the Kickstarter campaign and took months to produce. They used Unity 5 for that as well, as you can see here: https://youtu.be/xZvQaVyNfRk

And you are correct that they basically started over for the Combat Test 1. I remember Todd or Blair (?) said something like that in maybe one of Q&A videos. Not sure about where to find that quote. I'm not in the mood to search for it right now.  :)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

We don't expect any more archetypes to be included at release; they have enough work to do in the next 15 months. Post release, sure.

Tully

Is game-package trading allowed by ACE?

We do allow non-RMT trading. In other words, if I have an extra pack pig and you want to trade me that for a bauble you picked up in a campaign, no problem. It's not okay to trade real world money for a pack pig or pledge package. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

What degree of character customization are we going to have within the Archetypes? So far, from what I've seen of the Hunger Dome, each archetype looks the same. Is there going to be a degree of changing what the character looks like? Like giving a knight scars on his face or a confessor a different color of hair?

What degree of character customization are we going to have within the Archetypes? So far, from what I've seen of the Hunger Dome, each archetype looks the same. Is there going to be a degree of changing what the character looks like? Like giving a knight scars on his face or a confessor a different color of hair?

Reading the FAQ will help: https://backers.crowfall.com/#/faq/characters-and-advancement

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

There is something showing some customization options also here: http://crowfall.com/en/news/half-way-point/

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

If I should make a new thread for the wall of text that follows please let me know (I'm trying to avoid flooding the forum with potentially redundant threads). 

Hi there. I had three questions I was hoping to get answers to before deciding whether or not to pledge (The $38, I'm poor). These questions pertain to the combat system as, whether or not I play the game for any extended period of time will definitely depend very largely on different aspects of the combat system (e.g. the speed, skill ceiling, etc...). My motivation for these questions come from Tera PvP (1v1, 3v3, and 20v20), which I, like the Crowfall devs as I understand it, personally feel is one of the best action combat systems I've ever played in an mmo (or team based action-combat game for that matter).

1. Will there be skills that 'stagger' on hit in the game? There may already be, but they do not stand out to me from the videos of the pre-alpha combat I've watched. So I'd like clarification on this point.

To clarify, when I say 'stagger' on hit I don't mean 'stuns' in the usual sense, although I suppose a stagger could be considered a form of micro-stun. A stagger is when you hit an opponent and their movement stops for just a moment while a stagger animation plays, similar to how a melee character is locked in place when playing certain attack animations. Notably, a stagger duration is so short that it does not have a stun countdown timer (It's not even treated as a stun by the system). The stagger is actually a secondary effect of certain skills (in Tera). For a good example, go duel someone as a Berserker in Tera, the first hit of the zerker's auto attack combo is a stagger on hit. This actually makes the first hit of auto very useful and relevant for a skilled zerker player (see basic combo: 1st hit of auto attack -> block cancel animation on stagger -> thunderstrike).

Skills that stagger on hit are extremely important in an animation lock combat system, especially for melee characters. One reason is that it can be used to prevent an enemy player from simply nonchalantly walking out of your attacks (which in my experience detracts from the feel of a combat system without stagger on hit secondary effect on any skills) and as the attacking melee character gives you a (very brief) moment to verify your targeting before delivering a follow-up attack(s). For example, the basic combo listed above will knockdown (kd) the target on thunderstrike (ts); you do not want to miss the ts. Another reason is that staggers can work to interrupt certain enemy skills (not all). Overall, skills that have a staggering effect lend 'weight' to the combat system for both the attacking and receiving parties (which animation lock on attack alone will not correctly capture imho).

2. Are the combos in the combat system 'locked'? Is or will there be a form of 'soft' combo system?

What I mean by 'locked' is that the skills in the combo chains are only available for use when using the combo and cannot be used as standalone skills. What I mean when I say a 'soft' combo system, would be like that seen in Tera, where certain skills chain into other skills, sometimes multiple skills and those follow up skills activate faster. But those skills in the chain are all independent skills that can be used outside of a combo chain.

There are a lot of benefits to using a 'soft' system. Firstly the 'locked' system can sit on top of it so all the work you've already done transfers over nicely (see Tera). This is especially useful for beginners who are learning a class. The biggest draw of using a soft combo system is that it has the potential to add a lot of depth to the combat system as a whole and raise the skill ceiling very high. I believe a competitive PvP game should be easy to learn but hard (impossible) to master. I can go into more detail if needed, but I'd like to keep this succinct.

3. Is the combat speed seen in the pre-alpha combat videos final? Will it be faster at launch?

For an action game the combat speed seems a bit too slow in my opinion. By combat speed I mean move speed and animation speeds etc... The move speed seems like it might be alright (still a bit slow), but the animation speeds of the attacks definitely seem too slow to me. With too low a speed the game's combat system begins to feel like a turn based combat system rather than an action combat one.

Answers to any of the above questions would be very much appreciated. I look forward to any and all responses.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope you have a great day.

Sincerely,

Aguise

Edited by Aguise

1. Will there be skills that 'stagger' on hit in the game?

2. Are the combos in the combat system 'locked'? Is or will there be a form of 'soft' combo system?

3. Is the combat speed seen in the pre-alpha combat videos final? Will it be faster at launch?

1. Currently this is not in the game, and there are many cases where players are easily able to move out of the way of successive combo abilities. The devs haven't said what changes they plan to implement to address this, if any.
  2. The combos are currently locked. In order to execute any ability that is part of a combo chain, you have to execute the pre-requisite ability first. In some cases, you have a choice between abilities after executing the prior one, but that's currently the limit of the system. 
  3. The game is in pre-alpha. Nothing is final at this point.

Any or all of this might change by launch. Right now we are testing mechanics. For example, they created abilities that require a charge. The longer you hold the button, the more the ability charges until it reaches 100%. So when I use Shield Slam on my knight, I'm not really testing Shield Slam, I'm testing the charge mechanic. Once they know that is working, they can use that mechanic to build other abilities. Maybe Shield Slam will make it into the final game, maybe it won't. That isn't really the point right now, so take everything you see with a grain of salt. 

Hi guys, my question is about the mounts in the website shop. I happened to buy the nightmare 2015 horse under the impression that it was going to be exclusive to people that bought it either stand-alone or with their pledge package.. is this correct? The mount will be removed from the shop in 2016?