Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TragicNumberOne

Rivers and Boats

So, Crowfall wont have naval combat (at least not as a major feature) for various valid reasons (budget, development time, unfinished aspects of core vision, etc.) This brings up an important aspect of land travel: rivers.

Rivers have been a major influence throughout human history, and still hold great influence to this day. They have provided us with fertile farmland, with swift means of transportation and carrying trade-goods, and with defense against invaders. In Crowfall, they could have similar impacts

1. Farmland: Seeing as food will be an aspect of Crowfall, rivers could be a major influencer in how easy it will be to grow food, This will have various economic impact, and make rivers natural locations for city construction

2. Transportation/Trade: transportation/trade will be the meat of this thread, so: see below

3. Defense against invaders: Rivers act as natural buffers as they restrict movement and can allow local defenders to have an easy means of travel to the battlefield(so this ties into number 2)

So now, boats effects all 3 of the potential benefits of rivers(They carry trade good, bringing them up and down river. They allow people to easily get from point A to point B, and they carry troops and supplies to where they are needed)

However, without boats/ships, rivers are quite nudered. What I suggest is that river-boats be added to the game. These boats would not have to be particularly complicated. They could behave similarly to horses, and only allow single-man transport, as well as have a certain size of cargo-hold (and of course the boats could be improved in updates including multi-man transport) This would cause for rivers to have an even greater influence over the game, in a(hopefully) non-taxing way to the developers.

TL;DR

Rivers will likely have a strong impact on the game concerning being an obstacle to travel, but adding simple river-boats with a cargo hold will give rivers an even greater impact for both war and trade(or both at the same time... speaking of which... river bandits anyone?)

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

well, i hope with the destructible terrain, that we can flood stuff...again, part of xsyon that was extremely cool was the ability to mess with terrain. dig a moat around your mud hut, then flood it...awesomeness.

not so sure about river travel...i guess you could treat a river raft/boat as just a terrain type restricted mount? it would have a lload capacity like a pack train, but also be ride-able by multiple people? and you could kill it, causing the cargo to be lost, and any players on it to hope thhey weren't wearing plate :P

nothing worse in mine craft than digging horizontally and finding a lake lol. Ok, dying on lava is worse, but other than that.

what about digging into a creeper filled laked? Worst descinion of my then short minecraft life.

I do rather enjoy the idea of some whater manipulation, but I worry slightly on how the server will react to say a few thousand players digging upwards into a river at once.

what about digging into a creeper filled laked? Worst descinion of my then short minecraft life.

I do rather enjoy the idea of some whater manipulation, but I worry slightly on how the server will react to say a few thousand players digging upwards into a river at once.

it isn't water manipulation that's important, its the boats.

I'm a huge fan of adding as many dimentions to the CW as possible which of course would include a robust navel combat system.

Having everything from river boats to gallies I'm all for. However it's ones of the huge updates that will only come after the launch.

In the mean time the idea of treating river boats like other types of mounts sounds cool and feasible. Only isuue is Todd himself. He says he doesn't like water/swimming in MMOs. So if you ever "sink" the either have to die or Todd can stop being so stubborn and add freaking swimming in CF! ;)

We dont need under water areas just add some swimming animation and let us traverse rivers and lakes.

robust navel combat system

So you're looking for sumo wrestling as a combat style?

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

it isn't water manipulation that's important, its the boats.

Do not get me wrong here, you pretty much solved the use of boats right off the map. What I'm thinking about is ways to manipulate the natural waterways to ones advantage. I.e. rerouting water at its source to benefit you and starve out your opponets fields so they cant get the water advantage. Sure its alot of work, but the effects would be profound. Or just walling off a ring of mountains and flooding it. Got a dam with a dead orginization in the middle.

Do not get me wrong here, you pretty much solved the use of boats right off the map. What I'm thinking about is ways to manipulate the natural waterways to ones advantage. I.e. rerouting water at its source to benefit you and starve out your opponets fields so they cant get the water advantage. Sure its alot of work, but the effects would be profound. Or just walling off a ring of mountains and flooding it. Got a dam with a dead orginization in the middle.

that would be neat... but seems very gimmicky, besides, dynamic water physics on that scale are... not likely.

that would be neat... but seems very gimmicky, besides, dynamic water physics on that scale are... not likely.

Hence why I really don't see the boat idea taking off. Don't get me wrong, but it would be kinda... odd to see player dig out channels along the rivers edge and it just be empty space, that you fall into before walking into the water. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of boat and boat travel. But i believe water physics would have to be included to some extent to keep it from being just a one-shot wonder for highway travel.

Hence why I really don't see the boat idea taking off. Don't get me wrong, but it would be kinda... odd to see player dig out channels along the rivers edge and it just be empty space, that you fall into before walking into the water. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of boat and boat travel. But i believe water physics would have to be included to some extent to keep it from being just a one-shot wonder for highway travel.

It would be strange, that is true. However, boats interacting with water, and large-scale water physics are two very different things. The boats, would likely require work very similar to horses. Mass-movement of water on the other hand requires a much larger host of optimization and physics changes in order to be viable although  of course the question "what happens to boats if they are caught in this mass water movement" does remains, I have 3 possable solutions.

1. Less viable, but, Give boats the standard physics interaction that such a change would warrant

2. Make the boats get destroyed: make moderately large water movements damage boats, and balance the very large movements to kill them outright after about 5-10 seconds in the mass movement(the 5 second requirement is necessary to help prevent an accidental destruction, it would suck for your cargo to get destroyed because a slightly large wave came by).

3. Don't have water physics: the water could have EXTREEMLY basic physics, or just use a canned animation while the boat lazily treats the "water" as a mandatory surface. Some animation tricks could make the movement look natural.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

It would be strange, that is true. However, boats interacting with water, and large-scale water physics are two very different things. The boats, would likely require work very similar to horses. Mass-movement of water on the other hand requires a much larger host of optimization and physics changes in order to be viable although  of course the question "what happens to boats if they are caught in this mass water movement" does remains, I have 3 possable solutions.

1. Less viable, but, Give boats the standard physics interaction that such a change would warrant

2. Make the boats get destroyed: make moderately large water movements damage boats, and balance the very large movements to kill them outright after about 5-10 seconds in the mass movement(the 5 second requirement is necessary to help prevent an accidental destruction, it would suck for your cargo to get destroyed because a slightly large wave came by).

3. Don't have water physics: the water could have EXTREEMLY basic physics, or just use a canned animation while the boat lazily treats the "water" as a mandatory surface. Some animation tricks could make the movement look natural.

I see number three as being the most viable option. I would like an idea for #2 but I don't wanna see complete cargo destruction. Parts can be salvaged. makes some piracy a viable tattic at the very least.

I see number three as being the most viable option. I would like an idea for #2 but I don't wanna see complete cargo destruction. Parts can be salvaged. makes some piracy a viable tattic at the very least.

the salvageable wreckage would be a reasonable addition, it could probably re-use a lot of the corpse-looting code as well(have some chunks of ship break off of the destroyed vessel, and make them into interactable "dead bodies" that have some of the original boat's inventory available for looting)