Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
macky

Every Player should not be 'Super-Decked'; Commoners should be Common! Where is the humility in MMOs anymore?

One of the biggest atmosphereic killers of a game like World of Warcraft, or, honestly, any MMO out there for me was the feeling of how cheap specatular, extraordinary gear was.  Remember when the Arcanite Reaper was something to be awed at in Vanilla WoW?  When Epics were actually rare -- that purple color still held some mythical power?  Remember when most people were wearing more mundane, down to earth, functional equipment and rarely did you see someone with something blatantly flamboyant and disfunctional equipped?

Fast forward to today.  Everyone is riding a dragon.  Everyone is decked out in the shiniest, highest level, star-popping, incredibly-over-the-top, fancy, multi-colored gear.  Nothing is sacred anymore.  Amidst such a mass of overly dressed characters, the actual feeling of reverence towards a very rare item is completely lost.  Everyone is an Arthas; everyone is an Illidan; everyone is a Malfurion Stormrange or a Sylvannas Windrunner.  Who, then, is left to actually fight in the trenches?  To bear the banner of their lord as they wage into a battle across war-torn, cratered landscapes as yet another number is etched on a parchment tracking the numerous, nameless fallen who fight for a cause that dwarfs their entire existance?

Everyone being suited up in ridiculous regal gear leaves the entire experience feeling cheap and hollow.  When everyone is a king, a general, a leader, then royalty, or the responsibility and respect of high command, mean nothing.  Prestigeous artifacts become commonplace hum-drum suits of armor that quickly decay into "last years" loot as even more ridiculous, over the top, over-engineered suits of armor and dramatic, absurdly designed weaponry explode onto the scene and perpetuate the sick cycle of churning out "even cooler" weapons and armor.

The masses should be clad in home spun weapons and armor.  Forged with heart, love, passion, integrity -- but forged by the hands of mortals.  Very rarely, if ever, should you come across a weapon that stands out among the rest.  Something that actually makes you stop and stare at the pristine edge of a mythtical blade no mere mortal could have crafted.  It's something truly unique, special, something earned and not given.

Is this what we want the entire substance of Crowfall to be once the majority of people reach the end game?  Explosions of color and radical, gawdy design in attempts to one-up last years explosion of color and radical, gawdy design?  Everyone running around with obscenely sized weapons and obnoxiously designed armor so that they can "out-cool" the guy next to them?  I hope not.  If that's the case, I will quickly, and unfortunately, be weeded out.

Is there any way we can keep the game feeling modest and humble throughout its lifespan?  Or will the design succumb to the same insanity that every other MMO out there already has?  is it possible for Crowfall to become an MMO where an individual's enjoyment doesn't hinge directly on "how cool they look" but instead on the perpetual experience and atmosphere of the world they inhabit?  Where they are happy to strap on a muddy, scraped breastplate and pick up a humble, chipped sword and answer the rallying cry of battle without needing to don their golden, holycrafted, sacred armor of kings and mount their dragon steed first?  I am desperately hoping so.

Edited by macky

I like all of what you've wrote and completely agree. Maybe make expensive armor sets very rare and expensive that only the leadership of a guild might be able to afford to equip it, requiring collaboration of many people. The benefit being that the guys leading the ''raid'' would be a little harder to kill, ensuring good organisation.

Something that might help your idea of course is that all equipped items would drop and be able to be looted, so people will have to calculate the risk vs cost of armor when they go into PvP.

If armor has an effect on gameplay and isn't just cosmetic (that armor stat makes me think otherwise) I should be able to have a suit of armor that looks any way I want it to and still have the benefits. Why does epic tier need to mean giant shoulders and gem encrusted? Why can't it be battle worn and functional. Sounds more epic to me.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Far as gear is concerned I dont want a game that battles are determined by who has the better set of armor but rather because of skill. Cosmetics sure make them unique and hard to get maybe some very hard achievement cosmetic gear, but to have unique effects and better stats is pretty dumb imo and lacks balance far as gameplay. If i outskill someone he should not be able to beat me because his gear is a guild leader or cause he is a addict and plays 15 hours a day+. You dont need special gear to prove you are better then most you need skill.

krevra.png

Agree, infact the only thing Darkfall do right is the gear tiers, where there wasn't so much difference between them, sorta of 4-5%.
In this way gear is not so important but is enought to be desiderable because is better that walking around naked and even the slighty advantage is still better than zero and make a difference in pvp.

This is how gear should be managed in a full loot game along with a deep crafting system and healty economy.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice