Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Archetype update: The Centaur - Official discussion thread

I think some are concerned @Todd, because it's hard to balance physics when you've a full charge horse speed with a lance for example.

Imagine 50 centaurs charging a line with 70 dwarfs or elves with full speed and using lances or spears.  ^_^

The usual counter to heavy cavallry attacking is a pike phalanx. Several rows of infantery planting the backs of their pikes into the earth pointing them against the charging enemy. This ends bad for the attackers if they don't stop...

Would be great to see something like this in a game some day.

I wonder if they'll be open to making other types of hybrid creatures in the future, be it something common in other mythos or a new one exclusive for Crowfall lore.

gallery_13114_254_8712.png

The centaur armor looks fantastic, especially the two more complete sets. I also like how centaurs are not being reduced to necessarily brutish simpletons. I associate centaurs with a wide swath of human cultural diversity because of how ubiquitous equines have been throughout recorded human history, from tribal societies to the most wealthy and intellectual empires, so there is a lot you can do with a centaur beyond the "big bestial brute" role. When I think of centaurs I also think of Greek mythology, and by extension the neighboring (and conquering) Roman culture, so it's a good fit for the taurs to be "Roman flavored".

Overall I'm really happy with how the centaurs are looking and I can't wait to play one. Please make them OP so I won't have to ragequit when I end up being bad at playing one. All I'm asking for is a little game-breaking bias toward centaur players, that's it. Nothing crazy.

peastravaganza%20dos_zps4q178jpn.png

any official look at centaur females yet? soon? maybe?

J Todd said that the female is in the works, but behind some crucial game development tasks. 

I can't wait to see her, either :)

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

LOTRO monsterplay allowed you to play wargs and giant spiders. It was pretty cool to get into a non-biped role.

This was the best part of the game. One I started playing my orc reaver, I never left the mires. That tiny portion of the game, a devs side project, blew the rest of the game away.

I find the front leg to look rather awkward, they look rather skinny for a centuar.

also the face seems a little too normal for a centuar, it should look more drastic? impactful? not sure what the word is here, but basically it looks too much like a normal well groomed human, when he should look more bararic or raw i guess?

Also maybe horns on the heads?, maybe teeth coming out of his jaw?

personally quite like the dota2 centuar, http://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Dota2_CentaurMV02.jpg

I find the front leg to look rather awkward, they look rather skinny for a centuar.

also the face seems a little too normal for a centuar, it should look more drastic? impactful? not sure what the word is here, but basically it looks too much like a normal well groomed human, when he should look more bararic or raw i guess?

Also maybe horns on the heads?, maybe teeth coming out of his jaw?

personally quite like the dota2 centuar, http://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Dota2_CentaurMV02.jpg

Well, I mean... they're half human, half horse. Not half non-human barbaric/raw creature, half horse. *shrug*

Not saying the other way is the wrong way to do it, but... just, neither is the "the human half looks like a well groomed human" way.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I never understand why armor for online fantasy games has little basis on reality.  When I see the Centaur armor, I think to myself, all I need to do is block a few shots then cripple them because this spot is unarmored.  Or the spot has no articulation in order to block a shot from a specific angle.  

0e105949d99a32ca1751703e94ece601.jpg

The guy in blue with the large shield at the bottom left is me.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Remember Roman legionnaires had unarmored backs to prevent the legion from running away, and even greaves had flex points. Real armor has unarmored spots, so why not fantasy armor? Besides, barding traditionally left most of your horse flesh visible, I don't see too much wrong with this design.

Edited by Ravskal

What is death, but another hurdle
when you are immortal and your war, eternal?

The purpose of armor, even in real life, isn't to make you invulnerable. It's to make the enemy go from "I can just hit you anywhere" to "I can only hit you in certain places and from certain angles."

Even with guns, modern day body armor is usually a vest, at most. So, the enemy can "just" riddle your legs and arms and head with bullets. That doesn't mean body armor's pointless.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Also maybe maybe teeth coming out of his jaw?

Do you think the female centaur should look like Sarah Jessica Parker?

sarah-jessica-parker-as-a-horse.jpg

Edited by BurgundytheRed

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Gigantic cameltoe O_O
oh its J.Parker photoshopped as a centaur..right

Lets uhm,try to erase that from our minds ^^

Centaur_lineup_02.jpg

I love the artwork

Something about the profile lower-right, full-armored centaur could improve i think.. but not sure what,maybe position of flag ?(to the front view where the cameltoe of J.Parker is) 

About the sections on top of the back,really cool but wondering if its not 1 too many?

Still a job well done

Did a quick edit ,not sure about this either

1uxHi20.jpg

the flag should be larger on the front still,so the squid icon is better visible,perhaps it should start form the round ornament on the belt,

the lines indicate where the flag could be.

enlarged it

MBXGn1J.jpg

perhaps it could be more like the upper right design ,with a golden border

or like this,then players in front and at the side can identify a player's faction easily;

QWl1WYr.jpg

Or perhaps at one of the shoulders ,like this roman cloak?

10-category_default.jpg

Edited by Tipsy