Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halence

Kingdom terrain theme options?

Unless I overlooked something, I haven't seen any information on eternal kingdom terrain type customization. I've seen the previewed woodland type terrain in the FAQ and other examples, but no other representation of terrain such as arctic, plains, swamp, desert, etc. Given, in the FAQ, it shows regions within the example kingdom of mountains, waterways, forests, etc, but I'm talking terrain themes on a kingdom-wide scale, as going from desert to swamp to snowy mountains in a single kingdom of a loosely-represented few square miles could potentially hinder immersion. 

If this hasn't been addressed yet, I think allowing some customization in overall, persistent kingdom terrain theme would be appealing to most players, who may want their kingdom to be located in a frosty, rough-around-the-edges environment for a Winterfell-esque feel, a desert stronghold, a swampy village, a Braveheart-type highland outpost, etc. That could make for a hefty art workload if assets from the campaign seasons can't be used, but it could be a positive feature if feasible.

Thanks for your time!

We've been told that to start there will be a single terrain theme, standard medieval Europe based. It's a lot of work to add additional themes because of the need to do 4 seasons for each one. That said, more will be coming but it's not the top art priority right now and won't be for a while.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

We've been told that to start there will be a single terrain theme, standard medieval Europe based. It's a lot of work to add additional themes because of the need to do 4 seasons for each one. That said, more will be coming but it's not the top art priority right now and won't be for a while.

I agree. Most likely not enough budget at the moment and also priority is combat test. I'm sure later on in the game, addition terrain themes can be achieved.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

^^^ yep

...and also, we don't have the money to we would need to add them.  but assuming the game is successful, additional biome types are definitely on the list!

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I totally understand, and I'm happy to know it's on the table to potentially happen later down the road. Looking forward to more updates!

^^^ yep

...and also, we don't have the money to we would need to add them.  but assuming the game is successful, additional biome types are definitely on the list!

Todd

ACE

ooh! ooh! i want a blighted hellscape!!

with rainbows

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

^^^ yep

Todd

ACE

What about as a possible stretch goal?

Ranger3.jpg

ooh! ooh! i want a blighted hellscape!!

with rainbows

With rainbows...haha.

How about Asguardian style? The edge of the map is just that...the edge with just the stars in the distance.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

I'm looking forward to seeing a great deal of experimentation over time, since you have a set-up ideal for this (destructible worlds). Kingdom terrains, animal variety, technological discoveries... Lots of things :)

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

^^^ yep

Todd

ACE

please consider adding a saltmine biotype

i need to put my salty friends in charge of those as lessons

They had saltmines in Medieval Europe. They could absolutely do a saltmine resource parcel within the default biome theme.

They probably won't, but they could.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

They had saltmines in Medieval Europe. They could absolutely do a saltmine resource parcel within the default biome theme.

They probably won't, but they could.

Salt was also used as a currency, so this may tie in to that debate as well

SR8DSig_Ankh.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

I would buy terrain options for my EK in the store, much like I buy skins for my LoL characters.

Also, that sky option (the Asgard starscape) sounds awesome.