Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bairloch

Possibility of no loot/gear/etc. at all?

So looking at the character creation in detail, you can't fail to notice stats for weapon damage, crit chance, power damage, elemental damage and resistance, life on hit and armor itself seems to be an adjustable attribute via creation points like your strength or int. They are there in the character creation screen. At creation. Which means something you're doing at creation has an effect on them.

Now, this could mean you get to choose weapons and armor at creation, but it seems more likely, to me, that they are solely affected by your attributes. That your weapons and armor are solely cosmetic in function. This would simplify things terrifically for the developers, but would horrify many players.

It would, in effect, make more than half of the conversations on these boards moot. Looting? No gear to loot. Crafting? No gear to craft. Epic loots drops? No loot drops. Duping and hacked items? What, exactly are you trying to dupe or hack?

You fight, you get points to spend, you increase your attributes which increase your stats. That's it.

It doesn't rule out cosmetic items. But if armor is an attribute then your armor rating is set by the points spent on it, not what armor you're wearing.

Again, this would make balance much easier, but it could really change some people's outlook on the game. You might be stuck with what your character looks like at creation. Or when they hit a promotion they may change look.

They've said they were doing something different. That certainly would be.

Thoughts?

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

The character is ironclad and has shield on, probably contributing to his armor total.

Also if you remove the sword his damage would probably drop to single digits.

Could be, but a big part of MMOs is progression. Character progression and gear progression is generally expected. Can they just strip away everything that makes an MMO or RPG what it is and still call it a MMORPG?

In response to Rajah:

That's the point. You can't remove the sword. Or the armor. That's what I'm postulating.

The armor level is controlled by an Armor Attribute that it appears you can add creation points to. It is not controlled by the armor he is wearing.

That would lead me to the leap in logic that his weapons are attribute controlled the same, with the damage ranges listed below.

I obviously don't know if this is true, this is a hypothesis, but I think it is one worth discussing.

Lucius:

No idea, but they did say they were doing something different. And it sure would make the build easier.

Edited by bairloch

Could be, but a big part of MMOs is progression. Character progression and gear progression is generally expected. Can they just strip away everything that makes an MMO or RPG what it is and still call it a MMORPG?

It could be that progression in CF won't be about the character and more towards, city, seiging, group/guild activities instead of character develepment. Might be more focused on building up cities rather than characters. At first I felt like no way, but the more I think about this the more i might like it.

I was kind of thinking and eluding to this yesterday when I posted in the creation thread. I  still see Moba meets MMO. Someone said we already have that with smite. I disagree, I haven't played smite, but I believe its not a persistent world that is ever changing dependent on what players are doing in game and is always a changing world.

So my thoughts for now is, we have more of a moba character model and creation with the world being MMO where the progression system is in the city building and seiging, the resources and crafting for something like this would be immense and would probably be enough that players would even forget about that their character didn't level up anymore.

I still think this would be based of the Fuedal system on how the world could be constructed in game. It would actually make it even more realistic without the gear grind and more like real day to day activities. Just some thoughts I guess

Just my thoughts since yesterdays reveal.

Thanks OP for this post, I know my thoughts here a little off topic but your post help me realize maybe what I been thinking isn't too far out there

Edited by sarin

Something different doesn't mean you take away what it means for the game to be an MMORPG. If i say i want to make a different Car, its still going to have 4 wheels, an engine and seats etc.

The difference comes in how you apply the mechanics and features that make the genre what it is. ie you build a more fuel efficent engine, more comfy seats etc.

This idea of no loot does sounds quite interesting.  The models we saw in the released photo do give the impression that you choose a character or archetype and that's it, no real customization.  Now we know there are 2 pages to the character creation process, so there could easily be more character customization there but the idea of no loot is interesting.  It would worry me, if there is no loot in the simple fact that many MMORPG's are setup to grind gear and to not have any gear would surely be a shock to some gamers system.

However, taking out a gear treadmill and leaving it to how the player specs the character sounds like a considerably better progression system than:

Lvl character > spec character > Gear character

which has just about been the standard for quite awhile now.

It would certainly be different and give the played more control over their character but sometimes to much control frustrates folks because they would be able to "screw up" their character.  I think some kind of loot would be necessary, even if it's just consumables and gold but not having a gear treadmill just an aesthetic treadmill sounds great to me.

But that would leave you with the same armor and weapon forever and remove the whole armor and weapon market from the game and all the related trade and crafting skills. IF they have buns in the game ( hunger resistance) chances are very high that weapons are in the game as well.

It is also possible that the character is not entirely new. And they have shown a character in armor rather than a character in pants, just because the same character in pants does not look awesome.

Obviously we don't really know anything still, but they said they are not wanting to be like every other game, even if it is an MMORPG.

EOWWuhQ.png 

Something different doesn't mean you take away what it means for the game to be an MMORPG. If i say i want to make a different Car, its still going to have 4 wheels, an engine and seats etc.

The difference comes in how you apply the mechanics and features that make the genre what it is. ie you build a more fuel efficent engine, more comfy seats etc.

Or they could go out on a limb and make it have 2 wheels, it would be much faster but carry less passengers ... just a thought  :)

Edited by sarin

Obviously we don't really know anything still, but they said they are not wanting to be like every other game, even if it is an MMORPG.

They probably want to be different in a good way, removing weapons from the game is too radical.

You are correct, but it is so fun playing rampant speculation isn't it :)

I'm starting to get the impression this may turn out to be something of a 3rd person RTS in a persistent world.

The game might be fun, and I might play it, but it would be very different from the MMORPG I had pictured in my head.

One thing is certain at this point; that is I will remain skeptical and judge it for what it is on the beta.

Well, taking the same clues and going in a different direction, if there is "fixed" gear that comes with character creation this might be a safety net that creates a minimal state.  Additional upgrades might be available from there (think MOBA shop upgrades you get during a match, but your character's appearance doesn't change).  And then those upgrades might very well be dropped on death.  In other words, a PARTIAL LOOT system.

In my opinion its really too early to jump to conclusions (ACE's mystery regarding the gender lock theory is adding to this line of rampant speculation, which is perhaps exactly their intent), but interesting thoughts anyway.

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

Good point Ren, but then why have an Armor attribute?

And, again, Rajah, you're ignoring the Armor attribute. What does it do if your armor is worn? And there aren't necessarily buns. You go to the commissary of your guild when your hunger is low and fill it back up. Better stat means you go longer before being weakened.

Sarin, very interesting. Your progression would be as a community. Your guild, for instance, or your city would "level up", but not your character. You would be working together for a goal that wasn't about you, individually, but you as a community.

The no-gear thing was scaring me, but that actually sounds interesting...

Edited by bairloch

Or they could go out on a limb and make it have 2 wheels, it would be much faster but carry less passengers ... just a thought  :)

Then you go buy a motorcycle. You don't turn a car into one.

Good point Ren, but then why have an Armor attribute?

Attributes, including Armor and Movement, could be modified by a number of things during character creations such as Archetype and whatever you do with those 30 character creation points.  And later by your promotion class.

Then it is certainly feasible to impact those attributed stats through in-game interactions such as gear equipped, or temporary buffs / debuffs, etc.

rSHxVEY.gif

They probably want to be different in a good way, removing weapons from the game is too radical.

I'm sure many aspects of games today were considered to be too far out there, and deemed bad, but here they are, in our games today. I'm not saying they will or will not do something, just stating that one screenshot isn't enough to go off on.

EOWWuhQ.png