Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EK PvP and Monarch Discretion

How much should Monarch be able to control the PvP settings in their EKs?

1. Should they be able to toggle Friendly-Fire on/off or perhaps adjust the severity of it?

2. Should they be able to set the loot rules for their EK?

3. Should they be able to allow for destructive terrain, and buildings, even if the damage was cosmetic only and could easily be undone?

4. Should they be able to leave PvP off for most patrons, but place specific individuals and/or guilds on a KoS list?  Obviously those on the KoS list would be warned when entering said EK, and would be able to retaliate against the Monarch and his/her vassals, though bystanders could perhaps be immune.

5. Should Monarchs be given tools to create dueling tournaments, or other forms of consensual PvP, where participants flag themselves to participate, rather than everyone in the EK being flagged for PvP by the Monarch?

Numbered to allow for easier responding to specific points.  I am not advocating for any of these, but I am curious about how much PvP can be shaped within the EKs.  Campaigns will be for warfare and that's great, but all is fair in war, which often means ambushes and pitched battles.  Certainly not a fight where variables are controlled to ensure a fair starting condition.  EKs could provide that sort of structured PvP for those who want to know how they, as an individual or a small group, stack up against others in a "fair" fight.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Yes, The monarchs should be able to do all of that and then some.  Players should have an alert or at least a way to review the EK parameters, that way they can decide whether they want to spend time there or not. 

The monarch is the king of his EK and should be able to do all things....

~NRage

The more customization options they allow for PVP, economic, and building rules within EK's the better. This should be one of the biggest ways to individualize your EKs compared to others to lure whatever 'audience' you want in. Sort of like how individual servers in FPS games will mod or set particular rules and the masses migrate to the kind they like, even if it's very different than the original game.

I don't know how they will differentiate destruction though.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Only three replies, but already more consensus that I thought, I would find.  I am taking Aiona's reply as agreement :)  I expected at least a little dissent.  I figured since there was only vague mention of PvP in EKs that maybe this stuff hadn't been decided.  I know we are all anxious to learn more about CF, on a lot of topics, but I would like to see more info on this particular topic. 

I seem to remember the devs saying somewhere that the PvP toggle was on/off for the entire EK.  So unless CF has duel requests in the mix I don't see having portions of an EK that can be dedicated to PvP while other parts are not.

I have seen a few suggestions for battlegrounds that can be dropped into EK's - if that is done then I can see partial EK PvP happening as well.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I seem to remember the devs saying somewhere that the PvP toggle was on/off for the entire EK.  So unless CF has duel requests in the mix I don't see having portions of an EK that can be dedicated to PvP while other parts are not.

I have seen a few suggestions for battlegrounds that can be dropped into EK's - if that is done then I can see partial EK PvP happening as well.

Player-customizable arenas would be legit, and I think it would make a great stretch goal. If you could move around buildings/stairs/walls/etc and lock it down, then come up with some sort of in-ek-queue system it could be very interesting...especially for all those wanting some sort of esports/tournament feel to a portion of this game.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

5. I want to have fine control over when PvP can take place. The monarch can designate certain blocks of land as an arena area (although I would want to have actual arenas). This way players can go back to the safety of my town and spend their winnings (we need some sort of reward or gambling system) buying weapons and armor at my vendors and eating and resting at my taverns.

5. I want to have fine control over when PvP can take place. The monarch can designate certain blocks of land as an arena area (although I would want to have actual arenas). This way players can go back to the safety of my town and spend their winnings (we need some sort of reward or gambling system) buying weapons and armor at my vendors and eating and resting at my taverns.

Yeah it would be interesting if the Monarch could set an Ante (entry fee) for a dueling tournament and set the number of participants and have like a double elimination bracket, with the prize pool being split among the top finishers.

I think shouldn't get hopes up or expect too much as far as EKs and PvP goes. Sounds like a broken record by now but the CWs are the real game and where the real PvP is. EKs are simply for a trophy room and lobby. You'll be able to toggle PvP on/off but beyond that you'll need to go to the CWs for the actual PvP content.

Fixed.

It is still an EK thread.

Just because you want to discuss PvP in the EKs, doesn't suddenly make the EK part go away.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I think shouldn't get hopes up or expect too much as far as EKs and PvP goes. Sounds like a broken record by now but the CWs are the real game and where the real PvP is. EKs are simply for a trophy room and lobby. You'll be able to toggle PvP on/off but beyond that you'll need to go to the CWs for the actual PvP content.

That really doesn't explain what happens when you toggle PvP on in an EK.  Is there durability loss on death, is there looting, is there friendly-fire, or is it simply I can kill you, you can kill me, with zero implications.  I know that CWs are the "real" game, but people are going to be less inclined to risk dueling, and other forms of player made competition in the midst of warzone (because of the inevitability of outside interference), if it's even possible to duel someone within your faction or guild.

Perhaps dueling or small practice style combat isn't your cup of tea, but occasionally I like knowing that my victory or defeat will be the result of my skill against another player in single combat.  Also with only having two states to EKs (public and private), allowing PvP on your public EK opens up the potential for harassing behavior, that could drive away commerce, sure you could lock down your EK, or turn off PvP, but so goes any form of amicable competition.  I think toggling your EK from public 90% to private for the occasions you want to PvP in a controlled environment, will inconvenience those who do frequent your EK.

It is still an EK thread.

Just because you want to discuss PvP in the EKs, doesn't suddenly make the EK part go away.

Yes you can read, and yet the thread title didn't dissuade you from stating the obvious.

Because some of you might think that I am one of those "ursa tenders" who is eyeing the EKs as a bastion from real PvP, let me attempt to dissuade you.  I have started many thread and made many posts that are non-EK related, most of them however were in the graveyard known as the Suggestion forum, where the average viewership is on par with professional badminton. 

I am all for warfare, castle sieges, action combat, and risk vs. reward, and along those lines I think Monarch should be able to extend the risk vs. reward paradigm to their EK if they choose.  If you make an enemy in a campaign, sure you could use your admin like powers to simply kick them from your EK, but how much cooler and more in keeping with the lore, if you placed them on a KoS list for your EK.  They come into your EK and they're flagged for PvP, they can attack you and your vassals, but not random people who is just there to shop or trade.  This type of flexibility could make EKs better, without detracting from the "real" game.

Why do EKs even need to be better is the question lot of us ask when we see these threads. Could they? sure but again why? When we have the CWs for all the PvP content we should need.

Why do EKs even need to be better is the question lot of us ask when we see these threads. Could they? sure but again why? When we have the CWs for all the PvP content we should need.

The way PvP works (exactly) in an EK is to me an unknown, so I am not suggesting EKs need to be better since that's assuming the EKs are already a fixed entity and somehow inadequate.  They've revealed a lot about EKs, probably more so that some care to know, especially those thirsty to know more about campaigns, but not everything is known and it can't be, so to pass the time I prod into the unknown to see if there is room to improve a feature before it's locked in. Toggle it on/off, yeah, I get that, but what is the default state when on?  What are the rules if any?

I know CF, while partially crowd funded is decidedly not crowd sourced, however, I think these forums are an opportunity to have our two cents (or $5K) worth of ideas heard and discussed by the community and acknowledged by the devs.  I see a gap in PvP content that you don't see.  Sure I want war in the CWs but I also want KoS lists, and dueling tournaments. 

Edited by Gilgamer

You put together a nice short list, maybe really dig into features more and offer up a features list of On/Off options you think a monarch should have.  I like the direction you are headed, but the OP was a little too open ended which usually equates to less enjoyable discussion.

How much should Monarch be able to control the PvP settings in their EKs?

1. Should they be able to toggle Friendly-Fire on/off or perhaps adjust the severity of it?

2. Should they be able to set the loot rules for their EK?

3. Should they be able to allow for destructive terrain, and buildings, even if the damage was cosmetic only and could easily be undone?

4. Should they be able to leave PvP off for most patrons, but place specific individuals and/or guilds on a KoS list?  Obviously those on the KoS list would be warned when entering said EK, and would be able to retaliate against the Monarch and his/her vassals, though bystanders could perhaps be immune.

5. Should Monarchs be given tools to create dueling tournaments, or other forms of consensual PvP, where participants flag themselves to participate, rather than everyone in the EK being flagged for PvP by the Monarch?

Numbered to allow for easier responding to specific points.  I am not advocating for any of these, but I am curious about how much PvP can be shaped within the EKs.  Campaigns will be for warfare and that's great, but all is fair in war, which often means ambushes and pitched battles.  Certainly not a fight where variables are controlled to ensure a fair starting condition.  EKs could provide that sort of structured PvP for those who want to know how they, as an individual or a small group, stack up against others in a "fair" fight.

1.  No toggle, I'm on the fence about adjusting the severity of it, definitely against anything under 50% damage/duration. 

2.  Yes, but "no loot" should not be an option.  If someone ganks me there should be a reward for their effort and a penalty for my lack of ability to stop them.  Durability rules should scale with loot rules.

3.  On the fence.  On one hand, it kind of defeats the stated purpose of the EKs in terms of permanent ownership, on the other hand there is definitely a desire to give us this tool in a more meaningful sense than Campaigns will allow.  Not helpful, I know.  I don't care though.

4.  No.  

5.  This could be handled in an emergent way, just call up a tourney in a normally PvE EK and set the PvP toggle to on.  It wouldn't be as ad hoc as the suggestion, but whatever.  I think an arena-type stretch goal mentioned above is also a decent idea, might help entice a few new backers maybe.

Er, what's "edging"?